What's new
What's new

One of my "better" past employees wants to move to Seattle, she needs work.

kustomizer

Diamond
My best friends wife wants to move out of California, she has family in the Seattle area, she is staying there now with her brother while looking for work.

She prefers office work and is good at it, shipping, ebay sales, purchasing, recieving, she can do basic QC with micrometers, gage pins etc. I had her run VMC's on occasion but she would rather not.

If she finds a job you will also have a chance at him, he is now floor manager of a good size shop but is a first class machinist that really takes pride in the parts he makes as well as the time it takes to make them.

If this is interesting let me know and I will hook you up. They have worked in the same shop as each other for some years and work well together. I have a hard time thinking this is not a good opportunity for one of you folks as well as them, they are motovated to leave California.

Other than being closer to family I could not imagine any benefits of that move, unless someone likes rain.

I think leaving California is the main goal, being near family being a bonus as I understand,she is a good hand that can be used in a lot of places, we had her for several years before we moved. Her and her hubby came out to help us here in Idaho for a while but her heart is in Washinton.

Other than being closer to family I could not imagine any benefits of that move, unless someone likes rain.

My daughter lives there (Covington). The wife goes to visit regularly (6 times a year). I have yet to go.
But, I am told, while it is gray a lot, it doesn't rain nearly as much as everybody would lead you to think.
I would love it there! Overcast is my favorite weather.

I have been to Seattle a couple of dozen times, on my way to alaska, always in July and overcast with a fine drizzle every time but one, the pilot flew us twice around the city while commenting on how nice it was to finally see it. I went through once on a motorcycle, I had to stop and dump out my coffee in a sippy cup as it was overflowing all over from the rain, July again.

My daughter lives there (Covington). The wife goes to visit regularly (6 times a year). I have yet to go.
But, I am told, while it is gray a lot, it doesn't rain nearly as much as everybody would lead you to think.
It may not rain all the time but it is still pretty damp. Moss grows everywhere, including your car.

My Wifes Dad lives in that area, and it seems anytime you visit them they will tell you next time you will have to come in the "nice part of the year" regardless of when you are visiting that current time haha. Having spent my whole life in the desert though I love the contrast in weather when I have been there, and we talk of buying something (more out in the woods west of Seattle) and splitting time between there and here if circumstances were to ever allow. I feel like I would miss the warm Arizona sun though if I had to live there permanently.

My Wifes Dad lives in that area, and it seems anytime you visit them they will tell you next time you will have to come in the "nice part of the year" regardless of when you are visiting that current time haha.

He probably means the 2nd week in August. So nice that time of year :crazy:.

Regards.

Mike

I had a semi retired seasonal worker who both him and his friend who lived near Seattle would spend half the year down in So Cal with his son or I because they were sick and tired of the &*#&@@* rain. They were both addicted to fishing and hunting but did not like doing it in foul weather.

It may not rain all the time but it is still pretty damp. Moss grows everywhere, including your car.

Same here, fortunately my vehicle hasn't been deserving of washing in ages. There is no such thing as fire season here, I supposed that is the bonus. I live in the woods, you couldn't light a fire outside that would spread if you had a blow torch and a 55 gallon drum of acetone.

We actually get less inches of rain per year than a number of places that might surprise you, like Houston for example. The difference seems to be that most of those other places will get rolling storms that dump rain for a couple hours and then clear up, while most of our rain comes in the form of a 24 hour on and off drizzle.

Being born and raised here though, I love a dry overcast day. I get homesick if I go too long without seeing grey skies.

rainy cities.JPGrainy days.JPG

Summers in Seattle are pretty legit. Long days, and very mild heat. :cheers:

I'll take a bit of damp over the crazy temperature swings and humidity most of the country gets. Sure, it's not the California coast, but it has almost as many good employers as the Bay Area, and is a heck of a lot cheaper.

Send them to Idaho. We will be moving to a new 18k ft place in Nampa... I will need to replace some of my staff who aren't going to make the move.

We actually get less inches of rain per year than a number of places that might surprise you, like Houston for example. The difference seems to be that most of those other places will get rolling storms that dump rain for a couple hours and then clear up, while most of our rain comes in the form of a 24 hour on and off drizzle.

Being born and raised here though, I love a dry overcast day. I get homesick if I go too long without seeing grey skies.

View attachment 307950View attachment 307951

Don't ever move to the Phoenix area! I hate it here. I personally like all 4 seasons. Here we get like 1.5 seasons.
Summer, and a couple months of what might be described as a very mild fall. I don't know how many days of sun we get yearly? But, it is A LOT.
What is really strange though, once you get acclimated, 30 degrees here might as well be zero. At least that is what it feels like.
The cold goes straight to your bones here. I walked out to the shop this morning @ 6, it was 31, I was freezing.

Not many folks leaving the Northwest. The areas surrounding the cities have exploded as people leave downtown areas and folks move in from out of state.

Close friend is just over the mountains from Seattle. His area has exploded. His $50k house and 10 acres (15 years ago) is now worth $1.5M and he's ready to sell and move somewhere with fewer BMW's.

There's a variety of climates in the NW. The valleys are damp, drizzly and very green. The deserts are dry with extreme heat and cold. There's significantly different weather zones in close proximity here.

I lived about 20 minutes North of Seattle in Marysville for a few years and wasn't a big fan of the traffic or the Seattle vibe. Weather was fine though. I did really like the islands in the Sound and BC was a blast to visit for a couple days at a time.

If I had to pick on reason not to move to Washington state it would be the drivers. Washingtonians need to learn how to drive. Californians ignore stop signs and drive 85 everywhere. Oregonians about same, but 70 everywhere. Washington is like everyone's asleep at the wheel driving 53 MPH in the fast lane.

Don't ever move to the Phoenix area! I hate it here. I personally like all 4 seasons. Here we get like 1.5 seasons.
Summer, and a couple months of what might be described as a very mild fall. I don't know how many days of sun we get yearly? But, it is A LOT.
What is really strange though, once you get acclimated, 30 degrees here might as well be zero. At least that is what it feels like.
The cold goes straight to your bones here. I walked out to the shop this morning @ 6, it was 31, I was freezing.

Phoenix is a cool place, I spent a week in Mesa.

For some reason I chose that week to be at the end of July though....I will not be moving there. lol

I live in Covington, and it's a great location for me. 45 minutes away is downtown Seattle (but I hardly ever visit that circus), and great motorcycling roads are 15 minutes from my driveway. Temperatures are moderate all year, and if I really desire intense sunshine and temps in the 90's or higher, I go east to the other side of the mountains. No need to go 500 miles south to California, and one of the happiest days of my life was the day I drove north through California knowing I would never live there again.

Must be a west of the Cascades thing, sure isn't how they drive over here.

I drive up and down I-5 regularly. If I go east it's on 84. If I set my cruise at 90 on 84 I got passed by a lot of people. Only time I can use cruise on I-5 through washington is if it's between 2AM and 4AM.

I'm rarely behind a car driving slow with a CA or OR plate. WA plate 8/10 times. If it's a Prius with a WA plate I give them wide berth.

Well I am 3 hours west of Seattle out on the Olympic Peninsula. Wetter than Seattle but more 4x4 pickups than BMW's. Plenty of 4 legged cougars and bears around plus the usual deer and elk.

Jobs? Less and less of them every day. Not a good time to be looking for one up here.

Back