Open source ventilator? Time for us to make it happen. - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by neilho View Post
    The latest is that the old Delco plant in Kokomo, Indiana will be used to make ventilators. And the company that's currently making them is being assisted by GM to ramp up production. The mfger, Ventec, is the one talking to the government. ....

More to the point, the gov hasn't placed a purchase order because they say they don't know how much they'll cost. Sigh...
    Yes, GM has teamed up with a company that already makes these to ramp up production and help with floor space, personnel and engineering help.
    Strange that GM being called out as they are doing more and are ahead of any other automaker.
    Various pricing has been given to the government based on volume and time frame at zero profit. People in charge shit a brick at the cost.

Does not matter which plant you pick, everything has to ripped out and the building sterilized.
    I could not make ventilators in my shop.. Want a machine that pumps small amounts of carbide into your lungs?
    Clean and sterile environments are expensive and not an auto shop floor.

I hate to say it but I smell politics and a upcoming election. Scapegoats will be needed.
    Bob

2. Likes neilho, Laurentian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    Yes, GM has teamed up with a company that already makes these to ramp up production and help with floor space, personnel and engineering help.
    Strange that GM being called out as they are doing more and are ahead of any other automaker.
    Various pricing has been given to the government based on volume and time frame at zero profit. People in charge shit a brick at the cost.

Does not matter which plant you pick, everything has to ripped out and the building sterilized.
    I could not make ventilators in my shop.. Want a machine that pumps small amounts of carbide into your lungs?

I hate to say it but I smell politics and a upcoming election. Scapegoats will be needed.
    Bob
    I'm pretty impressed with what Ford was able to pump out in a short period of time to the hospitals. I thought it was good use of their resources, to build something that didn't need clean room environments to get it out. They are also building a positive pressure respirator I believe, for the clinical staff. Again, something entirely within their capacity.

Why are we looking to GM to build vents?

We'd be better off looking to Boeing, or any one of the aerospace manufacturers who already have extensive large clean room manufacturing capacity. Hell, even NASA likely has better resources. Never been in a GM facility that I would want making medical devices. Even the ones that do electrical work.

4. Likes CarbideBob, Laurentian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    And these are portable ventilators at $18K a pop, vs $50K for the stationary models. Sounds like FEMA already selected the cheapest thing they could find and are still waffling. "Brownie" has competition.

No wonder Ventec is waiting for a PO.

Bob
    If I needed a ventilator and had to choose between inhaling carbide and not inhaling, I'd take the carbide, Bob. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

You got it. Politics and the stock market. A healthy populace is distant third, if that.

6. Likes Laurentian liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by hanermo View Post
    Once the US popula takes the thing seriously....
    There's your flaw. The population gets scared when it sees 250,000 cases. But unfortunately, by the time you see 250,000 cases there are really 500,000 cases and more on the way. You have to nail it before people get scared.

You can see how well that worked in this very thread.

But one good thing at least, I don't have to hear how them lying commies are just trying to scare us into hurting ourselves economically with their phony data and all.

Now I'll get to hear how the phony data was under-reported, so they could clandestinely lure us into a false sense of security.

Devious, them commies. Getcha coming or getcha going but either way it's always their fault.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As I said I think anyone could make ventilators.
    Only a few critical internal parts transport gas, and any part can be easily cleaned via std parts finishing processes.

Farm it out for cleaning, and it gets done, if you don´t feel comfortable.
    Scuba valves are machined, yes ?

I´ve been diving 30 years (divemaster, 300+ dives) all over the world with machined valves, and the pressure (8 bars at 70 metres (roatan wreck)) is vastly higher than a typical ventilator only very slightly over 1 bar.

Metal particles (not dissolved) are not especially dangerous, so some tiny nano-particles in some components would not actually hurt a person.
    Ex lead, cobalt, cadmium etc. but we don´t typically machine them.

I am happy to scuba dive, as are millions of persons, with machined valves.
    Likewise, machined ventilator valves would not be a safety hazad of any real concern.

Excess regulation, lawyering, insurance scams and scare mongering has caused too much fear and doubt in making such parts.
    Imho.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by hanermo View Post
    Excess regulation, lawyering, insurance scams and scare mongering has caused too much fear and doubt in making such parts.
    Imho.
    Given how easy it is to do with a very great need, how many of these machines or parts for them are you or your partners producing per day?

Few will machine cobalt directly but if you use carbide or many high speed steels there is cobalt in your coolant, particularly if you use water based due to leaching.
    Making masks easy too but this is clean room stuff, Bunny suits, multiple doors.
    Some of the best at this end may be semi-conductor makers.
    What happens when you make a few thousand parts under not tight control and one of your workers tests positive for this or god forbid something else?

There are people who know how to do this, we need to ramp them up.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

May have been mentioned elsewhere, but motor-powered squeezers for manual ventilators are and easy build. Pace, dwell, and volume are easily managed with a varispeed motor and adjustable lever mechanism. No microprocessor required, and all the air-handling bits are pre-made, assuming a stock of manual devices.