Opening a New Company in Austin TX - Help!
Close
Login to Your Account
    Country
    UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Opening a New Company in Austin TX - Help!

Good Day all,

My company is planning to open a new branch in Austin TX and wants me to run it. This will be my first role as a GM . Kind of a big thing for me... So, I'm trying to get ahead of things and do some work upfront to be up to the responsibility given to me.

Does someone here have experience with such stuff? Or somebody that might help? What would be the first steps to take? I know we will need legal support and someone to introduce us to the market and potential clients.

Cheers

KS

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What market does your company cater to?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

1st post...............United Arab Emirates...................................my spidey senses are tingling.............

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As a GM you are going to either need to hire someone who knows OSHA, labor laws and environmental issues or do some quick reading up if your company has over a certain amount of people....for instance, a few years ago I (the company) got popped when OSHA made a surprise visit and saw a die grinder with an hotwheel unshielded on it....$2000 just for that...no miss type $2000 bucks.

5. Likes KingSize liked this post
    Country
    UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by IronReb View Post
    As a GM you are going to either need to hire someone who knows OSHA, labor laws and environmental issues or do some quick reading up if your company has over a certain amount of people....for instance, a few years ago I (the company) got popped when OSHA made a surprise visit and saw a die grinder with an hotwheel unshielded on it....$2000 just for that...no miss type $2000 bucks.
    Thanks, do you know someone? Have some experience?

Country
    UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mneuro View Post
    What market does your company cater to?
    Mostly steel manufacturing companies, but any workshop basically. We do mostly hoists, lifting equipment and material handling equipment, also some flanges.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Choosing people is very important..study up or have someone who can choose non trouble workers..
    Set and explain the rules. labor laws and Company Rules should be easy to understand.Summary of the Major Laws of the Department of Labor | United States Department of Labor
    Agree OSHA rules are important..I took all the training sessions and often see problems in many shops..I'm now retired.
    One common rule error is the OSHA book says Remove The Key...Many if not most shops leave the key in place for hi lows/ Forklift and other trucks..Even places like Lowe's often make this error..I know a fellow who still does that even after I told him the rule.. perhaps a $500 fine (or more $2000?.) Remove the key and hang in an out-of-sight place on/in the truck is OK.
    You can find the OSHA books on line..
    Grinders are to have RPM marked in view..
    Free Online OSHA Training Tutorials

knew a fellow who had an old guy caretaker to watch the truck yard..One day this guy (caretaker)decided to take a truck to go to the beer store..He ran over a person.( I can't remember if hurt or killed). The owner got busted because the caretaker was a drinker and all the truck keys were not in a lock box..fine was over $300K..Yes i'm not sure if it an OSHA fine or law suite)
    I like to post a sign "Special training require for use if this machine" on machines in a shop that has mostly non machine operators and few machines. Two hand safety is an important thing to consider and teach. Newer style machine guards are not often found on older machines so should be considered.

Oh..and "Steel on steel is like skates on ice.. Be sure anyone driving a forklift knows that..Perhaps write it on the truck.

9. Likes KingSize liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by KingSize View Post
    Mostly steel manufacturing companies, but any workshop basically. We do mostly hoists, lifting equipment and material handling equipment, also some flanges.
    Importing, or manufacturing at the new location ?

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by KingSize View Post
    Good Day all,

My company is planning to open a new branch in Austin TX and wants me to run it. This will be my first role as a GM . Kind of a big thing for me... So, I'm trying to get ahead of things and do some work upfront to be up to the responsibility given to me.

Does someone here have experience with such stuff? Or somebody that might help? What would be the first steps to take? I know we will need legal support and someone to introduce us to the market and potential clients.

Cheers

KS
    Your company must have thought you could do the job considering you were offered. Haven't they offered to help you get started and if so, how?

The first thing I'd do is to hire a few reliable people to help and give advice as there will almost certainly be more than you can handle alone.

Do you even know much about US law in a workplace? I'm assuming you are a US citizen?

Country
    UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you michiganbuck, that's very helpful.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To start with, find a good staffing service. Austin is one of the "happening" cities in Texas. Everyone wants to live there, tight job and housing market. Be prepared to pay a premium for help. Very strange place to locate a business such as you are describing. Can you explain that choice of locations? There is more high tech stuff going on there than heavy industry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

First off, ask your boss/owner for a detailed job description. You can't perform to unwritten/undefined expectations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Strange...maybe Houston, but not Austin..not that type of town. Hmmm.

16. Likes Gobo, tdmidget liked this post
    Country
    UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gobo View Post
    To start with, find a good staffing service. Austin is one of the "happening" cities in Texas. Everyone wants to live there, tight job and housing market. Be prepared to pay a premium for help. Very strange place to locate a business such as you are describing. Can you explain that choice of locations? There is more high tech stuff going on there than heavy industry.
    Good question, my boss selected it because it's currently rated as the number 1 city in the USA. Also, he lived there before. I guess he's biased that way.

Country
    UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Importing, or manufacturing at the new location ?
    Both actually.

Country
    UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    Your company must have thought you could do the job considering you were offered. Haven't they offered to help you get started and if so, how?

The first thing I'd do is to hire a few reliable people to help and give advice as there will almost certainly be more than you can handle alone.

Do you even know much about US law in a workplace? I'm assuming you are a US citizen?
    Started reading about US law in a workplace for preparation and I´m not a US citizen.