What's new
What's new

Any companies out there hiring for a day shift position

vr6

Aluminum
for the last 18 months i have been unsuccessful in finding a day job. i have had numerous interviews and phone screenings to only find out that they are for either second or third.

I've worked second or third shift since 2004 and its tearing my family up in big way since i cant work days.

my current employer only moves people to days when the old timers retire and i'm still a few years away from my first shot at a day job unless something terrible happens to one or two of the old timers retire(which is possible since 3 guys in the last year were forced to retire for medical reasons)

Nice title, a bit lacking in the specifics department....
Your location ?
And the job you want ?

Mcdonalds is hiring for sure, and in "your area" wherever that might happen to be....:crazy:

That practice has gone on since I first set foot in a machine shop many decades ago. For a new hire to score a day job on the production floor that usually only happens in a shop with one shift.

I've been off 22 months, took a job in a hydraulics cylinder repair shop. Steady 50 hours, best offer on pay since laid off, wasn't leaving driveway for what pay was offered at the few places ( machine shops paying 12.00 to 14.00 just won't work for me)
I did get an interview at, went from being not qualified to your over qualified sometime in the last 15 years. Just going to ride this pony �� out for the next few years, till I decide not to punch
someone's time clock anymore.

Good luck on your job search.

I've been off 22 months, took a job in a hydraulics cylinder repair shop. Steady 50 hours, best offer on pay since laid off, wasn't leaving driveway for what pay was offered at the few places ( machine shops paying 12.00 to 14.00 just won't work for me)
I did get an interview at, went from being not qualified to your over qualified sometime in the last 15 years. Just going to ride this pony �� out for the next few years, till I decide not to punch
someone's time clock anymore.

Good luck on your job search.

Around here Vonleyser?

for the guys here that were concerned more about where i am at or what i can do i will answer it a bit but my original post was just if this is a trend that no one is hiring days or just something else playing into factor

I live in northern Illinois about 2 hours west of downtown Chicago, about 10 mins south of the Wisconsin border.

I've been a skilled cnc machinist for nearly 20 years. I've worked from the bottom pushing a broom to working as a process engineer(nights BTW).

currently work nights for a navy/coast guard supplier from ship propulsion to electrical generator systems

i setup and run both a MILL/TURN machine(mazak integrex I-400) and setup and run a cnc cylindrical grinder.do programming as needed but most programs are years old since the company is still making products designed and have been produced since the 1960's

i also teach cnc courses at local college a few hours week that i thought would land me a full time position and it did, but teaching night classes. i teach the classes now from 9am-12pm 2 times a week.

current machinist salary is $28.30 per hour
teaching salary is $28.50 per hour(was $30.00 an hour till last week)

i hope i have answered your questions appropriately

$28 is pretty good for a cnc machinist in my area of middle america.

But yea, lots of small businesses are hesitant to invest in technology, and want to throw bodies at the machines they already have, expanding shifts. IMO it's shitty theory. They want to get more spindle utilization on the 24/7 clock but want a cheap button pusher to keep doing what they're doing.

IMO the future is improving tooling and programming in order to emphasize the "lights out manufacturing" approach. Then when your spindle util % is maxing out with your day shift, you get more machines instead of more people. They all work day shift. They're all happy. Happy workers = productive workers = motivated and contributing workers. IMO, of course.

Shops that want to throw bodies at production instead of technology are going to be on the fast track to closing up shop and seeing their work go overseas or to smarter shops.

Have you tried hooking up through something like Ziprecruiter? You are in my neck of the woods and that site is constantly sending me emails about job openings.

Shops in my area can't find many applicants for any shifts, machinists, operators, programmers, etc. When they do hire, they don't last long because they can't make it to work every day.

Agree 04 to 17 is a long time, benefits and retirement worth staying? How many old timers in your way? $28 is a fair wage but not tops...

QT: [for a navy/coast guard supplier from ship propulsion to electrical generator systems].. could be job security ..or not

QT: [I've been a skilled cnc machinist for nearly 20 years.] Does this shop consider you a machinist or an operator?

Can you...Select tooling, design or make fixtures, write programs for new jobs?

Your original post is very poor, post #1.. and then you seem ticked that we mention it, post #7.. is your resume better?

Do you express some attitude at an interview that makes you go deep six?

It is not what you think of yourself but what the interviewer sees in you..

QT: [most programs are years old since the company is still making products designed and have been produced since the 1960's ]

Any chancre to improve tooling, fixtures or process to get you an Ataboy or two?.

Start sending resumes to shops that don't have a sign or add out, eventually you will hit gold. If you have been around enough you should have a general idea of the shops around that do the type of work you do. In the detroit area day shift jobs for skilled machinists are easy to come by.

Visit a resume writer as they charge maybe a couple hundred bucks and have writing skills that will get your resume past the screeners.

There are many and finding one who is familiar with your trade critical.

Pay attention to the interview with them as it will allow you to learn what to improve upon in selling you and what to not talk about.

Indeed and the union halls are places to visit as well.

Assume there are others always looking for work so many "good" places usually have a resume file and avoid advertising for open positions and pull from their file.

Get a good resume and dress well and since you are free in the daytime start visiting potential places of employment and ask in person for an appointment to speak to hr about future employment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

QT: [most programs are years old since the company is still making products designed and have been produced since the 1960's ]

Any chancre to improve tooling, fixtures or process to get you an Ataboy or two?.

sometimes there is, when the time is there we work on continous improvement topics, lately though with a major increase of work most extra projects have been put on the back burner

Visit a resume writer as they charge maybe a couple hundred bucks and have writing skills that will get your resume past the screeners.

There are many and finding one who is familiar with your trade critical.

Pay attention to the interview with them as it will allow you to learn what to improve upon in selling you and what to not talk about.

Indeed and the union halls are places to visit as well.

Assume there are others always looking for work so many "good" places usually have a resume file and avoid advertising for open positions and pull from their file.

Get a good resume and dress well and since you are free in the daytime start visiting potential places of employment and ask in person for an appointment to speak to hr about future employment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

i pride my self on my resume, i probably get a call at least 70% of the time i send my resume out, tons of night positions in my area too

This seems too obvoius to say, but 13 years of you working on second tell me to offer you only my 2nd shift positions becuase your history says you will do it. With that said,

You are only working second becuase you will. Try refusing to work second shift. Me personally, having a young family. I'll go hungry, homeless and broke before I give my kids time (typically conflicts with 2nd shit) with me to my employer. After my kids are of age, I'll work any shift needed for the company. Raising kids properly and being there is far more important than any job.

Having started a business, I work first and second so what the hell do I know anyway.......

Good luck. this is a tough situation, but having been a hiring manager I can tell you that the first question we ask ourselves is can we get this guy to work 2nd? Fill second first and use first shift for incentive, reward or any political hires from the owner that pisses everyone off. Not that I agreed with all this, but its the game. Just trying to show insight to the other side.

This seems too obvoius to say, but 13 years of you working on second tell me to offer you only my 2nd shift positions becuase your history says you will do it. With that said,

You are only working second becuase you will. Try refusing to work second shift. Me personally, having a young family. I'll go hungry, homeless and broke before I give my kids time (typically conflicts with 2nd shit) with me to my employer. After my kids are of age, I'll work any shift needed for the company. Raising kids properly and being there is far more important than any job.

Having started a business, I work first and second so what the hell do I know anyway.......

Good luck. this is a tough situation, but having been a hiring manager I can tell you that the first question we ask ourselves is can we get this guy to work 2nd? Fill second first and use first shift for incentive, reward or any political hires from the owner that pisses everyone off. Not that I agreed with all this, but its the game. Just trying to show insight to the other side.
no kidding, there are about 15 guys on days in my building that are within 2-3 years retiring but no one is making them and alot of them admit they didnt think about a retirement fund besides their pension and snorted any extra money they had in the 70's and eighties. cocaine was pretty rampant back then ive been told.

one guy has worked there for 51 years and doesnt plan on retiring untill he cant get out of bed to do, easy money for him he says.

i cant refuse to work nights at my current employer but do turn interviews and phone screening if its for a night job, unless they can prove to me that a day job could happen within the first year

my wife currently doesnt work but we are hoping she can land something with benefits so maybe i can teach fulltime at 2 different schools in my area that have cnc programs

Back