Thread: OSHA results

Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    Those pictures are a joke... right?

Unfortunately not. I have hundreds of pictures of stupid stuff I have seen over here with the Asians complete disregard for personal safety. Most of the time a welder will show up in flip flops and a pair of knock off sunglasses begging for work. Yeah, you can hand them a welding hood or pair of safety glasses but the second you walk away they get rid of em.

As far as those shards of glass mortared into the concrete? almost every factory has that.

Country
    SOUTH AFRICA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by g-coder05 View Post
    They nailed me good just before I sold our factory off. One day this young cocky punk comes in with that "I'm from OSHA" attitude. I could tell right away he had a chip on his shoulder and this wasn't going to be good. Now, My grandfather built the shop in 1945 so it had seen 60 years of wear and tear but I had worked pretty hard at keeping it compliant.

Right off the bat this kid starts finger banging away at petty things like Harbor freight air nozzles with no vents. Finally he looks up and notices the one thing I was praying he wouldn't see,,,, The over head gantry crane. This over engineered beast was installed by my grandfather during construction of the building so there were no certs. One day many years earlier I was wondering around the factory looking at stuff and realized there was no load rating on the cross beam. I scrounge up enough stencils to put a 2 ton CAP on the side of it (Knowing the thing probably would hold 20). It was only when I was on the mezzanine and touched the crane and the ceiling rafter that I realized my grandfather was cheaper than me. Apparently in order to save money he put single phase reals running 3 phase hoist thus using the crane itself as the 3rd leg. After getting my bearings back and realized I had just been bit by 220 volts leaning off of a platform 30 feet in the air I decided there was no need to ever touch that bastard again.

Back to present day. The kids looking up and sees the rating and ask when the last time it was certed and I said "I guess when it was installed". Now I've got to play the ignorance card. As hes looking up he ask if the beam is rated for 2 tons why does it have (Two) 2 ton hoist on it? my response was we only use one at a time, ha, Nope, another gig! now I'm just to the point where I have had it with this fker and realize there is no pleasing him. He went up the mezzanine to inspect the hoist and some part of me was just hoping he would get lit up. He dicked around a bit but never got grounded out. To this day I still wonder if the fine would have been worth seeing an OSHA inspector get the piss knocked out of him. In the end I got just shy of $20k in fines and had to get the crane load certified. I just pulled the power and removed the hoist and let it be.

Too much BS with OSHA, and so glad they don't have it here in Asia. I don't think they would like my welders protection or the guarding on the fence around the compound.
    Attachment 263158
    Attachment 263159
    YouTube

Honestly... The extended clip of this gave me a herina. I could not stop laughing nor watching it and when I jumped in the shower I thought "WHERE DID THIS BUMP COME FROM"

3. Likes Larry Dickman, Garwood liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As much of a true pain OSHA is, where would we be without it or something like it?
    People see pictures from China and say how bad an idea this is, how we would never do that.
    But in truth we did the same.

Auto in the early years. If you lost a finger in a machine you got fired as you could no longer do your job at the speed required.
    No healthcare, no time off to recover, just out on the street. It was your fault.
    Personal family experience on that and such conditions helped start a union. (a child asks "How come grandpa only has 4 fingers?)

Given free reign and no rules US industry would be just as bad as anywhere. Sure some people would care about safety but many would not.
    So we need something, maybe the system could be improved but it's the best we have at the moment.
    You can't throw it out, voluntary compliance won't work. But it breeds "clerks" who have power and no need to work with the shops.

In a large plant you have heath and safety people and audits.
    Obviously overhead non-productive payroll and on occasion a pain in the butt. Yet without OSHA and it's rules this side would not be there at all.
    Bob

5. Likes converterking, PDW, awake, fusker, mountie and 2 others liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I recently lost somewhat of a friend (long story) due to a shop accident. Osha is investigating now (might be done dunno) what happened. They might be a PITA, but I agree with Bob, someone needs to regulate worker safety. There will always be horror stories about big fines and stuff.... I think the reason they straight up fine you is because that is (typically) where it hurts the most and makes the most impact- your wallet!

7. Likes tdmidget liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    As much of a true pain OSHA is, where would we be without it or something like it?
    People see pictures from China and say how bad an idea this is, how we would never do that.

Auto in the early years. If you lost a finger in a machine you got fired as you could no longer do your job at the speed required.
    No healthcare, no time off to recover, just out on the street. It was your fault.
    Personal family experience on that and such conditions helped start a union. (a child asks "How come grandpa only has 4 fingers?)

Given free reign and no rules US industry would be just as bad as anywhere. Sure some people would care about safety but many would not.
    So we need something, maybe the system could be improved but it's the best we have at the moment.
    You can't throw it out, voluntary compliance won't work. But it breeds "clerks" who have power and no need to work with the shops.
    Bob
    You'd be working for the US goobrmint or municipal authority:
    Billboard: Jake Schwab won’t be home with his family for Thanksgiving | Amalgamated Transit Union

Or sewer workers that don't need (or can't even request) trench boxes when working in a ditch.

Everyone, and I mean, everyone....needs to be swabbed with the same brush.

Those ditch workers bones break just like yours & mine.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Unfortunately not. I have hundreds of pictures of stupid stuff I have seen over here with the Asians complete disregard for personal safety. Most of the time a welder will show up in flip flops and a pair of knock off sunglasses begging for work. Yeah, you can hand them a welding hood or pair of safety glasses but the second you walk away they get rid of em.

As far as those shards of glass mortared into the concrete? almost every factory has that.
    I can't believe that you would watch someone inspect a crane knowing they could be electrocuted at any moment because of your negligence. What would you say to that persons family?

10. Likes tdmidget, digger doug liked this post
    Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by converterking View Post
    I can't believe that you would watch someone inspect a crane knowing they could be electrocuted at any moment because of your negligence. What would you say to that persons family?
    What does this have to do with my post about Asian workers?

As far as my post about the OSHA inspector at my factory in "Tennessee"? Well, I was standing right there and a tap from Delta 210-220 is dangerous it usually just gets your attention. I was quite confident he would not get injured or I would have stopped it. From my point of view at the time was OK, The system had been in place for 65 years and never a problem. All this kid was doing was checking the load label, quite sure he wasn't going to touch the cross beam while stretching over the side of the Mezzanine and grabbing the only thing remotely possible to create a circuit.

I'm not quite sure what kind of shop you work in but I'm used to working with a bunch of old fkrs that enjoy a good practical joke in the workplace, and yes, many times it involves electric jolts. Have you ever been the circuit between a plasma ground and the work piece? Coming in late for work or late from lunch meant the old guys making you hold the ground and the workbench while another old codger popped of an arc. Better than getting a write up and lesson learned. Ha, let OSHA see that go on now a days.

12. Likes empwoer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    Those pictures are a joke... right?

I know that second pic aint a joke.

I recently mentioned a job that I just missed @ altering some headed parts, and the part went to an assembly to replicate the grouted in broken glass on top of fences, to in stead be [small] steel posts sharpened like a pencil.

Apparently this is WAY common in South America.
    I didn't know about Asia.

In the US they need to keep the posts dull, but same concept.

---------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Someone I knew in the Philippines said its a must have on homes, broken glass bottles poured in concrete for fences, bottom of some windows, steel bars across doors windows also. They'd probably steal barbed wire, harder to do when its poured in concrete.

Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    I know that second pic aint a joke.

I recently mentioned a job that I just missed @ altering some headed parts, and the part went to an assembly to replicate the grouted in broken glass on top of fences, to in stead be [small] steel posts sharpened like a pencil.

In the US they need to keep the posts dull, but same concept.

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    One of the biggest crimes over here is thieves shimmying up the rain down spouts on the high rise buildings and breaking in through the balconies. Now, most of the building suppliers sell a premixed epoxy filled with crushed glass that is some nasty wicked stuff. They apply it by brush usually starting about the second story on the back side of the pipe so the thief can't see it until he's already been filleted. It makes it much easier to catch em when their hands and feet have to be stitched up.

sorry, derailed the topic for a sec.

16. Likes SND, Ox, empwoer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

One of the biggest crimes over here is thieves shimmying up the rain down spouts on the high rise buildings and breaking in through the balconies. Now, most of the building suppliers sell a premixed epoxy filled with crushed glass that is some nasty wicked stuff. They apply it by brush usually starting about the second story on the back side of the pipe so the thief can't see it until he's already been filleted. It makes it much easier to catch em when their hands and feet have to be stitched up.

sorry, derailed the topic for a sec.
    If the inhabitants would simply be allowed to exercise the castle doctrine, "once and done" would be the result.

18. Likes chet liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OSHA my way.

OSHA is in place to protect our workforce. I would substitute mandatory education and implementation of safety program in lieu of a fine for these first offenses(non-accident oriented visits). Would this not improve safety in a more meaningful and tangible way for these employees? Seems better than taking 3,000 out of the available funds to improve the workfork.

20. Likes empwoer, Chrisw, mhajicek liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm not quite sure what kind of shop you work in but I'm used to working with a bunch of old fkrs that enjoy a good practical joke in the workplace, and yes, many times it involves electric jolts. Have you ever been the circuit between a plasma ground and the work piece? Coming in late for work or late from lunch meant the old guys making you hold the ground and the workbench while another old codger popped of an arc. Better than getting a write up and lesson learned. Ha, let OSHA see that go on now a days.
    I was an employee from 1972-1993 for 2 different company's. Nothing like this ever happened and if it did that employee would have been terminated immediately. 5 people were killed in accidents during that time and we took safety seriously.

22. Likes Ox, digger doug liked this post
    Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Growing up as a kid in the UK, it was common to see glass cemented into the top of walls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

g-coder's pictures brought back memories! I grew up in the PI in the 60's and 70's. Every house in Manila had a wall around it with glass embedded in the top, and bars on every window. I don't recall ever feeling unsafe, but theft was simply an ingrained part of life.

And on a much more recent trip to Turkey, I was watching the welding going on with about the same amount of protection as in g-coder's picture. What really worried me, though, was that most of the "welding: consisted of tack welds only. One place where we ate was on a sort of balcony out over the river, and construction was basically tack-welded bed frame. I had trouble eating, and was ready to leave ASAP ... !

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    If the inhabitants would simply be allowed to exercise the castle doctrine, "once and done" would be the result.
    You have to home when the crime occurs for that method to be effective.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by charlie gary View Post
    You have to home when the crime occurs for that method to be effective.
    Please read and digest the castile doctrine for Pennsylvania sir.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post

In a large plant you have heath and safety people and audits.
    Obviously overhead non-productive payroll and on occasion a pain in the butt. Yet without OSHA and it's rules this side would not be there at all.
    Bob
    OSHA was absolutely necessary and a good thing that happened. today its turned into nothing more than another way for an entity to collect money.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by danil View Post
    OSHA my way.

OSHA is in place to protect our workforce. I would substitute mandatory education and implementation of safety program in lieu of a fine for these first offenses(non-accident oriented visits). Would this not improve safety in a more meaningful and tangible way for these employees? Seems better than taking 3,000 out of the available funds to improve the workfork.
    the fact that they DONT do that confirms that they dont give a flying fuck about actual safety, only the money they collect.

29. Likes Mud, g-coder05, MetalCarnage, SND, Dualkit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Please read and digest the castile doctrine for Pennsylvania sir.
    Just did. In order for it to be effective, you have to be there to use the weapon of choice. A castle doctrine doesn't help if you're not home to catch the criminal in the act. What did I miss?