Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    I recently lost somewhat of a friend (long story) due to a shop accident. Osha is investigating now (might be done dunno) what happened. They might be a PITA, but I agree with Bob, someone needs to regulate worker safety. There will always be horror stories about big fines and stuff.... I think the reason they straight up fine you is because that is (typically) where it hurts the most and makes the most impact- your wallet!
    They have partially finished the investigation, workplace looking at a 21k fine.

Quote Originally Posted by danil View Post
    OSHA my way.

OSHA is in place to protect our workforce. I would substitute mandatory education and implementation of safety program in lieu of a fine for these first offenses(non-accident oriented visits). Would this not improve safety in a more meaningful and tangible way for these employees? Seems better than taking 3,000 out of the available funds to improve the workfork.
    I don't know. He is dead and gone now. Not that a fine helps his family by any means, but maybe it will make them (the factory) think twice about saving $50 on a lockout tagout kit, or hiring unskilled workers and dumping them on the floor with unsatisfactory training, or..??... I understand an accident is an accident, but could have it been prevented? I don't know, doubt anyone will.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I worked for a company that actually had a business owner fire someone AFTER they reported him to osha because he screwed them over on a raise or something. He admitted it in court.

Then he sold the company.

Osha stopped in for a surprise follow up inspection. You should have seen her face change when I told her that I wanted to work with her to see that we were compliant. Her attitude changed completely. We started with the paperwork...which of course there was none. By the end of the visit I had a two page list of things to correct. By the next day, I had lockout tagout in place. Within a week, all of the major infractions had been completed. Within a month, everything on the list was done.

She could have shut us down...frankly, with some of the habits that were established, she should have shut us down. We ended up with a $3,000 fine for three days of inspections.

I'm sure it has went back downhill since, but how you present yourself and your business has a lot to do with how you get treated by them.

3. Likes Ox, mhajicek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You can git away with firing someone for turning you in to OSHA?

This person was actually expecting this to somehow be a positive in his pocket - should the company see $100K in fines or shut down?

The 3 day waiting period should be applied to many aspects of life.
    Not necessarily the one that it IS applied to tho....

-------------------------

James 1:19
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    You can git away with firing someone for turning you in to OSHA?

This person was actually expecting this to somehow be a positive in his pocket - should the company see $100K in fines or shut down?

The 3 day waiting period should be applied to many aspects of life.
    Not necessarily the one that it IS applied to tho....

-------------------------

James 1:19
    Ox
    What's the saying...don't let your mouth write a check your ass can't cash?

I'm quite sure his ass was a little sore after that vocal session.

So...I guess he got away with it, in that he can say "I fired that little shit...then paid him a years salary as a severance package".

It wasn't just his admitting that he fired him because he called OSHA, it was his response to the judge asking "And what will you tell someone that calls asking for references on this former employee".

This was a guy that didn't have kids of his own. A great guy though...he put his lawyers kids through college. lol

6. Likes Ox, CAMasochism, mhajicek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would be interested in swapping dialog with another shop owner faced with negotiating settlement and preparing a case for trial. Please, only shop owners or designated safety officers. Can reach me by email from my company web site linked on my profile.