Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yours is the kind of argument that blames cops for speed traps
    Hmmmm. Why are they called "traps?" Why don't you go back to being retired from manufacturing? It sounds as though your involvement was via a clipboard...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Retired?

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wow. I'm not retired at all. 20 more years to go, I hope.

But however long I go - I hope I never end up hating authority and arguing with what is (indisputably) the law.

I have no clipboard. I'm on the plant floor every day, plenty of locations around the planet. I see welders in Thailand working barefoot - and I think - this would be us, without OSHA.

My bad using the normal and common phrase of "trap." It wasn't my intention to argue or throw insults. It never is.

I'll re-phrase: Speeding is a crime. If you do it, and get caught, whatever the circumstance - it ain't the cops fault.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by safetypb View Post

I'll re-phrase: Speeding is a crime. If you do it, and get caught, whatever the circumstance - it ain't the cops fault.
    it is when the cop makes up the speed limit at will.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We had a back injury a while back that started an OSHA inspection and interviews with employees. The last name of the inspector was Catchum. Made me smirk

6. Likes Ox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by safetypb View Post

I have no clipboard. I'm on the plant floor every day, plenty of locations around the planet. I see welders in Thailand working barefoot - and I think - this would be us, without OSHA.

I will diss-agree with that one.

One of the basis reasons that got unions started in this country was for better working conditions.

I am not a union fan, but simple competition for employees should be enough to make things reasonably safe OR pay a high wage.

-------------------------------------

Going 90mph down a dead end road
    What's the hurry son? Where yuh gunna go?

Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    Those pictures are a joke... right?

YouTube

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Welding in bare feet,...and shorts...with holes in them....ya get sunburnt in surprising places....my partner never used a shield for mig,just the gun shroud as a shield.....it gets so hot here ,you cant wear protective,youd die .....my arms are covered with burn scars from oxy cutting scrap,and using cellulose rods.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On many modern sites these incidents probably happen when workers do not follow procedure, either because of complacency or laziness, or the procedures are bat shit crazy written by someone who went to school on the short bus.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Welding in bare feet,...and shorts...with holes in them....ya get sunburnt in surprising places....my partner never used a shield for mig,just the gun shroud as a shield.....it gets so hot here ,you cant wear protective,youd die .....my arms are covered with burn scars from oxy cutting scrap,and using cellulose rods.
    Air conditioning. Not often practical, agreed, especially not for field work.

But yeah, I'd far, far rather be welding here in Tasmania than in Queensland, in the summer. Had to do some in Sydney last Christmas. It wasn't a pleasant experience.

PDW

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The two Toft brothers in Bundaberg were sugar farmers who built a world class cane harvester,when others couldnt get them to work......neither brother had ever worn shoes,and both had feet looked like footballs.I remember them standing on slab mill chips in my shop,and not even noticing the sharp steel sticking in their feet...The sold out to Massey Ferguson for many millions ,and MF ran the business into the ground in a few years,and moved it to Brazil.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

FYI
    OSHA has in most areas, a group of inspectors you can call. They will sign you up as a member of something calles "SHARPS". We did this every year for a while and went to every other year and found it worthwhile. Once set up, you call them, they set up a date, show up and walk through your shop. When he or they are done you sit down with them in an office and talk about their findings. You and they agree on a date that you will be in compliance and once you are you send them pics of the changes, wash down area, guard rail, guards etc. They then send you a certificate. They cannot fine you, only guide you into compliance and the employees seem to try a bit harder to be safe as a result. I am as anti government as anyone here but have found in many instances where there is an agency that can immpose fines there is also a part of that agency that can help you avoid them too. We used them in California, did not always agree with what they wanted but they had our back when an amployee turned us in, they sent two reps out, met with that individual and as well as told him he was full of shit, to shut up, and to quit wasting everybodys time.

Safety & Health Achievement Recognition Program (SHARP) | Occupational Safety and Health Administration

https://www.osha.gov/OshDoc/data_Gen...sultations.pdf

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kustomizer View Post
    FYI
    OSHA has in most areas, a group of inspectors you can call. They will sign you up as a member of something calles "SHARPS". We did this every year for a while and went to every other year and found it worthwhile. Once set up, you call them, they set up a date, show up and walk through your shop. When he or they are done you sit down with them in an office and talk about their findings. You and they agree on a date that you will be in compliance and once you are you send them pics of the changes, wash down area, guard rail, guards etc. They then send you a certificate. They cannot fine you, only guide you into compliance and the employees seem to try a bit harder to be safe as a result. I am as anti government as anyone here but have found in many instances where there is an agency that can immpose fines there is also a part of that agency that can help you avoid them too. We used them in California, did not always agree with what they wanted but they had our back when an amployee turned us in, they sent two reps out, met with that individual and as well as told him he was full of shit, to shut up, and to quit wasting everybodys time.

Safety & Health Achievement Recognition Program (SHARP) | Occupational Safety and Health Administration

https://www.osha.gov/OshDoc/data_Gen...sultations.pdf
    Mass has a similar agency to OSHA. You call them for an inspection and as soon as you do OSHA cannot bother you. But they will show up and you better be prepared to follow up with everything. Some things they find will need to be corrected immediately. Some things more time.