What's new
What's new

OT: Alternative for discarding out-of-date bagged concrete mix?

Tommy

Cast Iron
I've around fifteen bags of Sakrete pre-mixed concrete that have been stored inside for a couple of years, but have begun to hydrate and are not useable. I hate to just throw them in the landfill.

Coincidentally, I'm making preparations to pour a small entrance ramp for an auxiliary structure. The soil at the site is a very heavy expansive clay and it is customary in this area to place a sub-base of a suitable material under slabs such as a locally available red clay sand. This type of sand compacts nicely and makes an excellent base for concrete.

I'd planned on tilling some hydrated lime into the underlying clay before placement of the sub-base (a technique often used in this locale to improve the stability and bearing strength of expansive/plastic clays), and am now thinking of mixing the spoiled concrete mix into the soil, as well.

This appears to be a handy solution to “dispose” of the otherwise useless concrete, but I'm wondered if mixing the out-of-date Sakrete into the clay could have any detrimental effect? My primary intention is disposal, not necessarily to improve the underlying clay.

Thoughts?

~TW~

Zero experience there, sorry. But if you know a buddy with a hard-packed gravel parking lot/drive, he may want it to sprinkle about on top before the next April shower. Continued application can make the drive harden up pretty well, especially if the gravel has lots of 'fines' in it, like road base.

Chip

If it hasn't gone hard yet, then tilling it into the clay/soil will act as a stabilizer in the same way that tilling in neat cement does, just a bit more dilute. Where I am, I have to stabilize the soil if I do any digging/building work because it's clay with a very high water table. If I don't, I tend to sink in it...

Folks around here use that sort of thing as heavy duty sandbags. Good for the sides of entrance ways, wash out areas, etc.

Heck, a lot of people around here use NEW bags of sackcrete for the same thing.

If it hasn't gone hard yet, then tilling it into the clay/soil will act as a stabilizer in the same way that tilling in neat cement does, just a bit more dilute. Where I am, I have to stabilize the soil if I do any digging/building work because it's clay with a very high water table. If I don't, I tend to sink in it...

Mark,

Similar conditions here. Heavy clay and high water table, particularly at this time of year towards the end of our rainy season. When it's wet, this soil is very difficult to work with in its natural state.

~TW~

Folks around here use that sort of thing as heavy duty sandbags. Good for the sides of entrance ways, wash out areas, etc.

Heck, a lot of people around here use NEW bags of sackcrete for the same thing.

CatMan,

I am around here - NW Rankin County near the Reservoir. Tried to give the stuff away to a friend with a small dam on his property, but he didn't need it. I'm gonna till as much into the project as I can and fill a hole with the rest.

~TW~

Back