What's new
What's new

Examples of invoices

Farmer Phil

Aluminum
Good evening. I am going to establish myself as an industrial mechanic in Louisville, Kentucky, and in doing so I will need to have an invoice and/or work order.

Being as there are at least 12 different ways to do anything and the amount of wisdom held by the members of this community, I come to you with an ask.

If you are involved in millwright work or provide industrial maintenance and repair, I'd like to ask if you would share a copy of the paperwork that you use with your customers to establish the relationship between when the work begins and when it is finished.

My concern is making sure that I start a job and understand the customers expectations, prove that I met them, and importantly assure that I am paid for the work. I am not trying to get something for nothing as much as I am wanting to learn from what others have encountered and learned from in the past and I believe that from this group of people that a good contract can be had.

My email address is: pbrunsells (at) yahoo (dot) com

Thank you for any guidance,

Phil T. Brun

(A) Keep it simple.

(B) You need 6 things:

1. a drawing (from the customer)
2. your response to the drawing pointing out all of its defects and impossibilities (go back to step 1)
3. an estimate of what it will cost to produce the part described in the drawing
4. the contract to produce the part (can be #3 signed the customer)
5. your revised estimate explaining why it will cost more to make the part than originally estimated
(go back to step 4)
6. the bill for the parts

(C) Each document needs to have at a minimum:

- the date
- the contact person (with telephone number/email)
- the responsible person (with telephone number/email)
- the project identifier
- the part number
- the name and the address of both companies

Thank you for the advice of keeping it simple, that's the idea to be detailed yet brief.

I will not be making parts in the beginning, I will be providing mechanic services.

With that, I want to make sure that when I show up to a job the customers expectations are understood by me and that ultimately I am paid without having a fight on my hands.

Back