What's new
What's new

OT- If I install No Parking signs with "Unauthoried Vehicles Will be Towed Away"...

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
OT- If I install No Parking signs with "Unauthoried Vehicles Will be Towed Away"...

wondering what the legalities of this are.... the commercial flex spaces I own have an allotted 12 parking spaces, however those 12 spaces are theoretically anywhere in the general parking lot. However there are 8 spaces separated out at my right end of the building that were until recently* just understood as "my" specific spaces since I own the right half of the building.

Technically I don't necessarily "own" those particular spaces... but some days I have NO parking spaces now, so they are in violation of my parking rights. But to have a car towed (with sign warning to that effect).... might that present some legal issues ? (Call local sheriff to ask ?)

==========================================================
*Few months ago left side of building was leased to a foam insulation company that has probably 30 employees, hence the change in parking status. And yes I have asked the owner to convey to employees not to park in my spaces ...which worked for a few weeks but gradually employees started parking there again.

wondering what the legalities of this are.... the commercial flex spaces I own have an allotted 12 parking spaces, however those 12 spaces are theoretically anywhere in the general parking lot. However there are 8 spaces separated out at my right end of the building that were until recently* just understood as "my" specific spaces since I own the right half of the building.

Technically I don't necessarily "own" those particular spaces... but some days I have NO parking spaces now, so they are in violation of my parking rights. But to have a car towed (with sign warning to that effect).... might that present some legal issues ? (Call local sheriff to ask ?)

==========================================================
*Few months ago left side of building was leased to a foam insulation company that has probably 30 employees, hence the change in parking status. And yes I have asked the owner to convey to employees not to park in my spaces ...which worked for a few weeks but gradually employees started parking there again.

I guess you could tow them and see what happens....... :scratchchin:

Why not try leasing some of the spaces you own to the new company, then painting or otherwise marking those you need to keep open.

Or landmines. Are they legal in your state?

Around here you would simply contact a local towing company and they would not only provide and post the signs, they would patrol the lot as well if that were applicable (not in your case). And, their signs explain where the car has been towed to so you aren't even bothered with that.

Why not try leasing some of the spaces you own to the new company, then painting or otherwise marking those you need to keep open.
I sometimes need all those spaces clear so I can get to both sides of a semi trailer.... but also thinking of my upcoming auction where I'll need spaces for the review day (online only Bidspotter, so no extra parking needed for auction end day) plus the auctioneer and his guys who have separate vehicles.

Who owns the lot?

office-space%281%29.ashx

download_400x400.jpg

I was having a problem about a year ago with people parking in my "ally" that is on my property and the neighbors.
Its also the emergency access for the back of my neighbors building in case of fire.
I mentioned it to the towing company down the street and he gave me a few signs to hang in the spot.
He had a storage yard that charged $25.00/day + the towing fee. (I may have got a cut out of it)
My situation is a little different as I own all the property.
About the same time my neighbor installed a better surveillance system with motion detector spot lights.
That cured the problem right away.

In your case you may want to check with the sheriff first.
Last thing you want is a court battle over "common sense manners"

However the fork truck idea sounds good to

Or crime scene tape on cones...

If you don't own the parking space, or even have the exclusive right to use it, you can't put up a no parking sign. Well, you can, but if they challenge the tow you'll be on the hook. I don't know about SC, but many states have rather large penalties for having someone towed improperly.

You need to deal with the owner of the parking lot. You say you own one or more units, which implies that there is a condo association that owns the parking lot itself.

Talk to the Landlord or whoever can modify the agreement. Talk to the other tenents and see if its ok for you to "claim" your 12 spots permanently and then get it written into the agreement.

I dont see it being to hard to take care of.

About 2 years ago, a new sushi place opened up in town. Marginal location with insufficient parking. Right next door was a physical therapy place with a big parking lot. The PT place has no evening hours, so people started parking over there. Turns out the PT space is leased from the owner who still uses space in back. The owner keeps odd hours and needs trailer access. He put up no parking signs and got the local cops to write a lot of tickets. The sushi place found more parking on the other side.

Start training your neighbors now with tickets. Change to the towing threat just before the auction.

Around here you would simply contact a local towing company and they would not only provide and post the signs, they would patrol the lot as well if that were applicable (not in your case). And, their signs explain where the car has been towed to so you aren't even bothered with that.

This is all you need to do. Local sheriff is not going to want to be bothered about towing peoples cars out of your parking spot. Tow companies love to tow, and can deal with angry people...it is their whole business model pretty much. Once you set it up with them they will deal with people.

I had a similar problem a year ago, except that the employees would park up and down the street blocking our drives and gates. Much harder to deal with if the cars are on public property. I finally started parking my truck on the street to block there busy loading dock. That helped sometimes maybe. Business went under after a year thankfully and left.

Right, but you don't have exclusive use of any specific spaces.
Right, hence the reason for my topic. Re condo association, there are only 2 other owners of the building units and they both exceed their parking allotments (one owner via his own business and the other owner via his tenant)

OK, first it's a matter of state law and I am many states away - but since it's commerical space it's likely you have to post a warning before you start towing people.

Second, in your complicated case it may be a matter of shared rights => talk to a local lawyer.

Third, in my experience, tow signs, and later "no winery parking 24x365" followed by only about 2 tow aways, cured the problem.

So very likely all you really need to do is get square with law and contract on what signs you can put up.

Back