OT- If I install No Parking signs with "Unauthoried Vehicles Will be Towed Away"... - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I agree with all the posters who said check with the property owner first.

Around here quite a few businesses in industrial condos have dedicated spots "Parking only for .."

IMO having a "park anywhere" for shared space is practically guaranteed to cause problems. Your need to keep spaces open on occasion for access are reason enough to demand dedicated spaces. If you can't get satisfaction by talking to the other parties I would suggest sending each a letter by Certified Mail explaining that you are intending to designate certain spaces as "yours" and say that if they object any such objection must be made in writing within 30 days. Include a map showing which spaces along with your reasons as you listed here for needing dedicated spaces.

I like talking things over as much as the next guy but in more than a few cases I've found such letters to be of great value in setting limits on others' behavior. In one case I had a neighbor who insisted on his right to trespass on my property with equipment and materials because the previous owner had supposedly given him permission. The day before he received his letter revoking any and all such permissions as he thought he had was the last time he trespassed. He was mad as hell for a while but eventually calmed down.

2. Likes gustafson liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you own the property different.
    State laws vary and change, here is one from Michigan
    Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails park.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I forgot he was selling

My wife sold her condo and the parking situation was not correct in the deed, cost a few pennies to do.

It might be worthwhile getting the deed fixed for clarity.
    I don't know the exact situation, but the solution I keep proposing[to deaf ears] inmy building is assign the spaces that I don't use[I rent the second largest space in the building] and I will deal with them. I would change nothing and allow the people who use them to keep using them, but from the landlords perspective it makes much more sense to have this large a space have as much assigned parking as it should, so when I move out, there is not a big hassle with the next guy. But the landlord has no direct interest since things are not out of control today, so on it goes

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    wondering what the legalities of this are.... the commercial flex spaces I own have an allotted 12 parking spaces, however those 12 spaces are theoretically anywhere in the general parking lot. However there are 8 spaces separated out at my right end of the building that were until recently* just understood as "my" specific spaces since I own the right half of the building.

Technically I don't necessarily "own" those particular spaces... but some days I have NO parking spaces now, so they are in violation of my parking rights. But to have a car towed (with sign warning to that effect).... might that present some legal issues ? (Call local sheriff to ask ?)

================================================== ========
    *Few months ago left side of building was leased to a foam insulation company that has probably 30 employees, hence the change in parking status. And yes I have asked the owner to convey to employees not to park in my spaces ...which worked for a few weeks but gradually employees started parking there again.
    I would post the signs, and ALSO point "BLAHBLAH MACHINE CO ONLY!" on the parking curb for that area, at each space you want to keep open.
    That's what most of the shops in Tucson do if they are in a complex. Inform the foamy company (Hope it's not rabies!) about this, and send them a written note that after a 15 day grace period, towing will begin.
    Then see what happens, and take it from there.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm in a similar situation with my industrial condo units. There is a train club next door. Normally there not a problem but when they have open houses their visitors take all the parking. There's no way to "train" them because there mostly random people.

On our plat of survey, the parking lot is divided into common areas and limited common areas. The definitions of each are in the condo declarations. The limited common areas extend out from each units property line out into the parking lot about the depth of a parking space. These areas are designated for that particular units use only. The middle of the lot is a common area.

I'd double check that there isn't something similar on your survey and in your declarations. If not it would be worth adding so at least you have the spots in front of your units reserved.

7. Likes bryan_machine, mountie liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Talk with your landlord. If you are to have a certain number of spaces, and it's in the lease, then you do "own" so -to-speak the spaces.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    I agree with all the posters who said check with the property owner first.

Around here quite a few businesses in industrial condos have dedicated spots "Parking only for .."

IMO having a "park anywhere" for shared space is practically guaranteed to cause problems. Your need to keep spaces open on occasion for access are reason enough to demand dedicated spaces. If you can't get satisfaction by talking to the other parties I would suggest sending each a letter by Certified Mail explaining that you are intending to designate certain spaces as "yours" and say that if they object any such objection must be made in writing within 30 days. Include a map showing which spaces along with your reasons as you listed here for needing dedicated spaces.

I like talking things over as much as the next guy but in more than a few cases I've found such letters to be of great value in setting limits on others' behavior. In one case I had a neighbor who insisted on his right to trespass on my property with equipment and materials because the previous owner had supposedly given him permission. The day before he received his letter revoking any and all such permissions as he thought he had was the last time he trespassed. He was mad as hell for a while but eventually calmed down.
    This is probably one of the best solutions, short of getting the landlord's lawyer to actually re-write the terms of the deed correctly this time, spelling out who has legal, exclusive ownership of which piece of the parking lot.