What's new
What's new

OT someone listed my lathe on eBay???

Stirling

Hot Rolled
So I'm trolling the usual suspects when board, seeing what's out there for fun and I stumble upon an eBay listing that is clearly my machine...

I have it listed it on Kijiji a popular for sale site in Canada and it would appear they took my photos and description and placed them on eBay.
No one contacted me in regards to this.

Is this common??
Seems odd because if it sells they don't have the machine...

Aaany who.
Have a great night!

It's someone performing low-level (or high-level) fraud, ask Ebay to take down the ad if you haven't already.

Low level, they're just acting as a broker, and will buy your machine at the lower price, then sell at a higher.

High level, they're just using your data to commit outright fraud, and will just pocket the money.

That has happened on some of the gun forums. Someone posts photos on a forum and later his photos show up on some auction site. As far as I know those cases have turned out to be fraud.

Contact the seller on ebay and act interested in the machine.

They will try to move the transaction off ebay, probably with a fake invoice that looks legit but will have a phony domain name.

Do a whois lookup on the fake domain. It will be an anonymous registrant, but there will be a legit abuse contact for the hosting domain.

Email the registrar-abuse contact for the hosting domain, include the fake email and domain info. They will shut them down.

A lot of machinery dealers have been caught doing that. They will try to sell something at a higher price then try to turn around and buy the original at a lower price, just playing broker. I don't remember their names, members here have posted the ads from time to time.

This post jogged my memory. When I was looking for a dividing head I checked ebay and was almost ready to pull the trigger on one when I thought to just google it. Same exact thing was listed on Amazon but free shipping. The ebay listing wanted $140 for shipping (100 lbs in a decent size crate.)
Got a nice never used surplus 10" Carroll dividing head for $300

A lot of machinery dealers have been caught doing that. They will try to sell something at a higher price then try to turn around and buy the original at a lower price, just playing broker. I don't remember their names, members here have posted the ads from time to time.

I think this is exactly what is happening. I have gone to there main website of the company and see it listed there as well.
I've requested a quote to purchase just for fun.
Good on them for wanting to make sales. I feel they should contact someone and offer a consignment service, not list then sort it out later.
That just pisses off sellers and buyers

What happens if it is sold before they contact you to try to buy it from you for resale? It might actually be a good thing for some sellers. there is a small outfit on ebay that has some nice stuff but they are all "pick up only". They had a good price on a rotary table I would have paid someone an extra $100 if they could ship it to me.
There is no way to block "local pick up only" on ebay. As long as they will ship I do not care how far away they are.
Bill D.

Quite a few are doing that. I needed some Permatex Prussian Blue. I'm in the sticks and local stores don't carry it. I found some on ebay that was lower than what locals stores wanted to order it. When the stuff came it was shipped from Amazon, I checked Amazon and it was cheaper there! My Vacuum cleaner quit the other day, when I went to ebay for something vacuum cleaners were in the advertising that comes on when entering ebay so I looked. Was thinking of buying one but remembered the Prussian Blue so I checked Walmart. They had it for $50 cheaper and I could pick it up at the local store!

Quite a few are doing that. I needed some Permatex Prussian Blue. I'm in the sticks and local stores don't carry it. I found some on ebay that was lower than what locals stores wanted to order it. When the stuff came it was shipped from Amazon, I checked Amazon and it was cheaper there! My Vacuum cleaner quit the other day, when I went to ebay for something vacuum cleaners were in the advertising that comes on when entering ebay so I looked. Was thinking of buying one but remembered the Prussian Blue so I checked Walmart. They had it for $50 cheaper and I could pick it up at the local store!

When I buy anything anymore, I start with Walmart, then Amazon, then eBay.

Is this common??
Seems odd because if it sells they don't have the machine...

Aaany who.
Have a great night!
Maybe they have the machine but it looks shitty. Or is tightly packed with other machines and thus not possible to get good pics.
Machinery dealers and business rental property dealers are the laziest people ever..

Why bother taking photos or writing description when you can stole em from somewhere else? :angry:
"Didnt' have good pictures so I googled something similar"

The term for this resale tactic is called "drop shipping"
Like posting stuff on a sale site then when it sells simply put the buyers address for delivery for your alibabba account.
Interesting concept.
I suppose it could be argued the "value" they provided was helping you find the product listing more conviently?

Maybe they have the machine but it looks shitty. Or is tightly packed with other machines and thus not possible to get good pics.
Machinery dealers and business rental property dealers are the laziest people ever..

Why bother taking photos or writing description when you can stole em from somewhere else? :angry:
"Didnt' have good pictures so I googled something similar"

Nope. Was an add for my machine as they listed the specific items I installed and even mentioned the tool changer motor was born working. Lol

I've requested quote for fun with not reply on their company website. I think I'll cal for fun before I have their eBay ads removed.
If they wanna buy and flip it all the power to them. Hard selling equipment in northern Canada.

This has been a common problem on eBay UK for the last few years.

Listing with good pictures, correct/knowledgable details of the machine, plausible banter about the sale etc.

Dead giveaway is that the listing will meet all of the following:

Low or zero feedback

Location in some small and out of the way town/county

Has a shipping fee listed, as opposed to "buyer collects"

Had a similar event over a car. Email conversation claimed owner was being deployed Nebraska. Photo looked very "spanish" architecture in the background. Phoned and spoke to an Eastern European male. He wanted payment in ebay cards. I checked the VIN which they had(stupidly) put up. Car was in California at a dealership who assured me it was in front of the window he was looking out!

Yep. There are vulture "dealers" who scan Craigslist for machinery and report it as their own deals. They are slime.

Back