OT(?) Who gets to go back to work, and when? One perspective from Italy - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You make it sound like testing is totally under the control of one person, the president. I don't think any single person, president or any other national leader or even any group of leaders (like the combined members of the Senate and House all acting in unison) can make testing happen until the tests have been invented (which now seems well along) AND PRODUCED. This is totally regardless of political parties or politics in general. If you want to blame anyone, start with the various manufacturers of medical supplies. But I suspect even they are working night and day to get the test kits out to us as fast as possible.

The same applies to ventilators, vaccines, and treatments/cures. And even to advise as to how to avoid this horrible thing.

As to what the best strategy in the current crisis may be, that is NOT an easy thing to come by. Unfortunately, every decision made by any of us will have good and bad effects. There are compromises and in most of this, we aren't even in possession of all the facts needed to make even the simplest and most basic decisions. Just the question of wearing a mask or not in public has arguements on both the pro and con sides. Nothing is as simple as some, dare I say most of you guys seem to think it is. There is no magic wand; not for me, not for you, not for a mayor, not for a governor, and not for the president.

Quote Originally Posted by dalmatiangirl61 View Post
    Did they say what decade they plan to roll out testing?
    My worthless POS president, DJT, said there would be testing in every community, anyone can get tested, free. I'm still waiting to see that happen

2. Likes jancollc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EPAIII View Post
    You make it sound like testing is totally under the control of one person, the president. I don't think any single person, president or any other national leader or even any group of leaders (like the combined members of the Senate and House all acting in unison) can make testing happen until the tests have been invented (which now seems well along) AND PRODUCED. This is totally regardless of political parties or politics in general. If you want to blame anyone, start with the various manufacturers of medical supplies. But I suspect even they are working night and day to get the test kits out to us as fast as possible.

The same applies to ventilators, vaccines, and treatments/cures. And even to advise as to how to avoid this horrible thing.

As to what the best strategy in the current crisis may be, that is NOT an easy thing to come by. Unfortunately, every decision made by any of us will have good and bad effects. There are compromises and in most of this, we aren't even in possession of all the facts needed to make even the simplest and most basic decisions. Just the question of wearing a mask or not in public has arguements on both the pro and con sides. Nothing is as simple as some, dare I say most of you guys seem to think it is. There is no magic wand; not for me, not for you, not for a mayor, not for a governor, and not for the president.
    so the orange moron was just lying when he said testing would start very soon and for everybody?

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by janvanruth View Post
    so the orange moron was just lying when he said testing would start very soon and for everybody?
    It's only lying when you know what truth is. The Donald is far beyond that. The man is psychotic.

What is surprising is how many people refuse to admit that. Even if you like the guy, this is like driving the bus off the end of the pier because you were too busy checking your makeup to look at the road.

5. Likes awander, cyanidekid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have been wondering just how this new virus compared to the ordinary, yearly bouts of the flu we have had with us for generations. Are those really the numbers?
    Here is one that talks about global annual flu deaths, numbers are close to what I was saying. I could not find the one I got the global numbers from.

From this link:
    "Somewhere between 291,000 and 646,000 people worldwide die from seasonal influenza every year, according to a CDC-supported study published in The Lancet."

CDC: Global annual flu deaths greater than previously estimated

7. Likes digger doug, Scottl liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    It's only lying when you know what truth is. The Donald is far beyond that. The man is psychotic.

What is surprising is how many people refuse to admit that. Even if you like the guy, this is like driving the bus off the end of the pier because you were too busy checking your makeup to look at the road.
    You had no clue how the Vietnam war started. Disinformation is a way of living.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

now here is a question for you why do we need to reinvent the wheel
    when it comes to tests the Germans had a rapid test quite some time ago
    why are we just now getting one?

Why weren't people who had been to China quarantined over 2 months ago?
    cause it was bad for business.

now what will tell a tale is what happens in LA compared to what is happening in NY.
    one wild card will be the homeless population in LA, same thing in the SF bay area.

June is coming up fast how are we going to do the election if things haven't normalized by then?
    extending terms like Rudy tried and got slapped down in NY after 9 11 isn't an option.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Confirmed case's refers to people who got tested because they were sick enough to warrent a Covid-19 test. I know a few people here in the states who called their doctor when they felt ill and were told to just stay home and rest,hydrate and take tylenol unless they got very ill. Testing people who died gives real data but without actually knowing the number who have contarcted the Virus, We can't get an accurate mortality rate. I don't think we will ever know for sure.

11. Likes Scottl, cyanidekid liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We have done wide testing here in Oz ,and it seems the mortality rate is under 1%.......and if over 70s are excluded ,then the rate is quite tiny .It may be interesting when results from cruise liners are added ....on some of these ships up to 300+ crew are infected ,and for various reasons ,the ships have been forced offshore.....The "Ruby Princess " cruise ship looks like having something like 200+ deaths related to its most recent cruise,and up to 1000 infections .....I reckon they might be changing the name ,before next voyage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    We have done wide testing here in Oz ,and it seems the mortality rate is under 1%.......and if over 70s are excluded ,then the rate is quite tiny .It may be interesting when results from cruise liners are added ....on some of these ships up to 300+ crew are infected ,and for various reasons ,the ships have been forced offshore.....The "Ruby Princess " cruise ship looks like having something like 200+ deaths related to its most recent cruise,and up to 1000 infections .....I reckon they might be changing the name ,before next voyage.
    the 1% seems correct for the moment.
    but if half of the 96 patients that are critical were to die, that would bring it up to 2%.
    and if 2% of the active cases, minus the critical ones, were to die, that would bring it up to over 3%

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post

don't know but any one who would get on a cruise ship in the last month deserves a Darwin award.

pump all the fuel and oil off the ship then take em to deep water and scuttle em.
    those plague breeding grounds will never be clean again

don't care much for cruise ship

15. Likes Oldwrench liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 72bwhite View Post
    don't know but any one who would get on a cruise ship in the last month deserves a Darwin award.
    For years and years, cruise liners have been similar to ocean-going tenements, with disease outbreaks like Legionnaires Disease, noroviruses, influenza episodes Cruise Ships: High-Risk Passengers and the Global Spread of New Influenza Viruses | Clinical Infectious Diseases | Oxford Academic, etc.

They're going to have to do a lot of advertising to recover from killing off their current passengers.

17. Likes digger doug, Oldwrench liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rons View Post
    You had no clue how the Vietnam war started. Disinformation is a way of living.
    Oh really ? you want to toss your version of history up here so I can slap it down with facts ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oh really ? you want to toss your version of history up here so I can slap it down with facts ?
    He's calling the coronavirus airborne HIV, and he got his information from his ham radio.

You're literally picking a fight with the slow kid in class.

20. Likes NRDock, awander liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I bet he thinks the Vietnam war started about 100 years after it really started.
    Bill D.

On Edit I was about 100 years too young the date is given as around 1787 or 1874.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Last night on the news they interviewed a nurse who had Covid19. She had recovered and was cleared to go back to work. She insisted on being re-tested before working with patients. Test results showed she was still shedding virus and could infect people even though she was recovered.
    Bill D.

PS: Notice how many of the USA doctors are foreign born? Thank god for immigrants.

23. Likes cyanidekid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I believe this coming Friday will make it 4 weeks since DJT stood in front of a camera and laid out his plan to save America, which included a google website and mobile testing in Walmart and CVS parking lots. Maybe some places have gotten those, but neither of the places I live has anything like that. One of my siblings is a doc at a major hospital, they got sick, had symptoms, and it still took a week for them to get tested, that is just plain wrong. Current backlog on test samples in Tx is 5-10 days, again this is completely unacceptable, it means we only know the caseload from last week.

The only way out of the lockdown is aggressive testing to identify who has it currently and who has survived it.

25. Likes Milland, cyanidekid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dalmatiangirl61 View Post
    I believe this coming Friday will make it 4 weeks since DJT stood in front of a camera and laid out his plan to save America, which included a google website and mobile testing in Walmart and CVS parking lots. Maybe some places have gotten those, but neither of the places I live has anything like that. One of my siblings is a doc at a major hospital, they got sick, had symptoms, and it still took a week for them to get tested, that is just plain wrong. Current backlog on test samples in Tx is 5-10 days, again this is completely unacceptable, it means we only know the caseload from last week.

The only way out of the lockdown is aggressive testing to identify who has it currently and who has survived it.

I have three friends that have been tested. One took 16 days for results (could have just waited to see if she died). One took 11 days. Third got his test yesterday, so we will see if they've sped up any.

Local hospital system had drive up testing. 40 tests taken per day, that's all the have the supplies for. So if you don't show up 2 hours before they open, don't bother showing up at all. And that is only for people who have been prescribed a test by a doctor.

27. Likes dalmatiangirl61 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Our nanny got tested two weeks ago tomorrow and is still waiting for her results. She's had a fever, cough, and felt like hammered feces for 3 weeks now.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Our nanny got tested two weeks ago tomorrow. She's had a fever, cough, and felt like hammered feces for three weeks now.

We self quarantined for two weeks from the last day she came to work, and none of us got sick. Whew!!

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The perspectives on here fall into two categories. Either it's a pandemic on the order of the Black Death and it's Donald Trump's fault, or it's just another Chinese virus, that this time around happens to have caught the imagination of the left/media as a crisis ready-made for exploitation (If we can just create a recession we can beat the Bad Orange Man).

Their constant use of the term "the new normal" implies that after this we will have permanent government control of everything, and we are supposed to be OK with that. I might just be OK with it if it involves testing at the borders à la Ellis Island (to use a politically incorrect but not unreasonable analogy) or additional security lines at an airport.

Any way one massages the statistics, 10,000 deaths sounds like a lot—but 10,000 divided into 300,000,000 really isn't squat. If it weren't for uncontrolled borders it wouldn't have got that far. Regardless, a couple months from now the US economy will take off again. There's no fundamental economic problem other than the effect of everybody being made to close up shop.