Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All that money and those new trucks are missing one of the best features ever - wing vent windows.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You're a smoker?

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

3. Likes Monarchist liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Late model used trucks are so expensive becuase new is far more expensive.

My 2013 Ram 2500 Deisel with 60K miles blue books at $5K less than I purchased it new.

Its all about the cents per mile to me. I'm targeting that this vehicle cost me $.20 per mile. I have one year left and I plan to unload it...just prior to the 100K drivetrain warranty ends..

FWIW, my last vehicle I got $.07/mile cost maintenance included. It was a theft recover GMC Suburban and the family loved it.

If I had my pick, the Surburban is my preferred choice. I already have $4K in repairs (what I purchased the suburban for) to the ram becuase I was a dumbass and moved to a dirt road and it just devours vehicles.

I'd vote yes to pave my roads even if my taxes went up 25%. Cheaper than what these roads do to my vehicles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Glug View Post
    All that money and those new trucks are missing one of the best features ever - wing vent windows.
    When's the last time you saw anyone roll down their windows? Maybe at the Starbucks drive through...

My old truck had a sliding rear window. I do miss that feature.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I DOO!

I hate A/C!

My wifey is an "80's Lady" and has "all that hair",* so she doesn't seem to appreciate the 2/55 a/c much.
    Then I need to roll/m up about 50% of the time. (depending on cross wind direction?)

I don't drive in stop/go much.

* She may be to blame for that hole in the Ozone.

-------------------

80's Ladies

Ox

7. Likes 77ironhead liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm usually the only guy on the road with my window down. That's window singular, I'm also the last guy on the road with a single cab pickup with manual windows...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    I DOO!
    I hate A/C!
    Quote Originally Posted by ewlsey View Post
    I'm usually the only guy on the road with my window down. That's window singular, I'm also the last guy on the road with a single cab pickup with manual windows...
    A/C is nice down here.

But neither the '94 suburban or '95 dodge 2500 have had working AC's for the last couple of months for various reasons.

Both of these vehicles are getting a little long in the tooth, the dodge has over 400k and is really starting to look it's age. Can't kill that 5.9, but the body and interior are shot.

I've been thinking about a newer truck, I'd like a single rear wheel 1 ton, 4wd, 8' bed and crew cab. But I'd settle for something with 4wd, A/C and a working radio.

But spending upwards of 50k for a new one, that gets maybe half the fuel mileage of my 5.9, while being more complicated and expensive to work on, is a hard pill to swallow.

Been thinking about maybe a smaller gasser pickup that gets better mileage and run the older vehicles as farm trucks. Eventually gonna get my CDL and probably get away from pickups entirely for doing actual work. Already at class 5, not much more till class 8.

If they made a new truck with the nicer interiors and better automatic transmissions (or manual) with manual seats, manual windows, a 5.9 and a crew cab I'd buy it tonight.

I need a simple vehicle that doesn't mind a little abuse. I don't need some $80k pickup as a useless status symbol.

10. Likes Bobw, Monarchist, 77ironhead liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I DOO!

On the flip side, I tend to git more seat-belt tickets for that reason....

Most recent was a cpl yrs ago in a nearby one horse town on the other side of the state line. A young Jane Rizzoli liked to'uh broke her neck watchin' me roll past the other direction. Like normal, I thought that she was just amazed at my good looks, but it seems that she had something else in mind.

Upon more thought, I bet that she was really wanting a better look and needed a reason to stop and talk to me.
    Yeah, I bet that's it now that I think about it ....

Oh the price that some of us have to pay ....

----------------

Speaking of Beauty ....
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's 100% financing. You have to go 7-8 years old now to get a truck under $20K today and that's because those trucks are all just getting paid off and put on the market.

I'm OK with driving older. I was OK with the single cab truck, but my third kid showed up 5 months ago and it just doesn't work at all anymore. I have a 97 Dodge extended cab Cummins and it gets the job done, but sure isn't impressive to look at. I was going to re-paint it and re-do the interior, but then I found a pair of Ford superduty F-350 crewcabs with low miles for $700. One has a perfect front and the bed/rear frame is destroyed. The other has a perfect rear/frame. I'm going to combine the two and put the 2010+ front clip on it and paint it decent. It will look new, but at 1/10th the cost

13. Likes Monarchist, munruh liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Saskatchewan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by alskdjfhg View Post
    A/C is nice down here.

But neither the '94 suburban or '95 dodge 2500 have had working AC's for the last couple of months for various reasons.

Both of these vehicles are getting a little long in the tooth, the dodge has over 400k and is really starting to look it's age. Can't kill that 5.9, but the body and interior are shot.

I've been thinking about a newer truck, I'd like a single rear wheel 1 ton, 4wd, 8' bed and crew cab. But I'd settle for something with 4wd, A/C and a working radio.

But spending upwards of 50k for a new one, that gets maybe half the fuel mileage of my 5.9, while being more complicated and expensive to work on, is a hard pill to swallow.

Been thinking about maybe a smaller gasser pickup that gets better mileage and run the older vehicles as farm trucks. Eventually gonna get my CDL and probably get away from pickups entirely for doing actual work. Already at class 5, not much more till class 8.

If they made a new truck with the nicer interiors and better automatic transmissions (or manual) with manual seats, manual windows, a 5.9 and a crew cab I'd buy it tonight.

I need a simple vehicle that doesn't mind a little abuse. I don't need some $80k pickup as a useless status symbol.
    I don't know that the smaller half tons get all that much better mileage? I know my old Nissan didn't do any better than the full size I drive now.....and... I didn't have any status with it

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oklahoma
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yep. I see building contractors running around in brand new diesel trucks with 8" lift, $5,000 in rims and tires, and a 12" drop hitch to pull their little enclosed trailer (can't haul anything in the 6' bed, even if they wanted to).

If a guy showed up to work on my house with that rig I'd tell him to climb back into his truck and go.
    Many years ago I called out a plumber from the Yellow Pages to snake a sewer line on a Sunday. He showed up in an old utility pickup. Called him a couple more times over the next couple years for some other things.

Didn't need him for several years but called him another time to snake the sewer again. This time he showed up in a new 4WD crew cab. He told me he didn't snake anymore but if I wanted to pay him $3500 to replace the sewer he'd see if he could get around to it. Told me to call RotoRooter if I still wanted it snaked. So I did and never called him again.

16. Likes digger doug, Bobw, Joe Miranda liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You're a smoker?
    Nope. What I like about the quarter windows is they can deliver a huge amount of air but the flow is smooth and can be directed to the windshield or wherever. Rain doesn't come in, it's great for defrost, doesn't blow your hair around. The flow is also pretty quiet.

Though you have a point about the smoking. I recall an eventful and heavy cross country tow with my Dad 14 years ago, dragging a 28' enclosed tag . The trans in my quarter window 1990 460 F250 was not liking the mountains. He had insisted on taking the high road to save 300 miles on the 2300 mile trip. We were warned, he wouldn't listen.

He was smoking A Lot. I have always said we didn't measure the trip in MPG but in MPC - Miles Per Cigarette. And when it got steep, the MPC went way down into low single digits.

There was a futile effort where we changed the trans fluid in a dirt parking lot, which involved dropping the pan in 95F heat. Fortunately the auto parts store took the used fluid. It cost me $2700 for a "Montana special" aka trans rebuild on the way. "Butte's Automotive Center" didn't do such a great job - the trans ended up leaking later. Always wondered if they re-used the original seals, or what they actually did.

In hindsight, I can't believe we weren't smoking stogies on that trip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And has been my spare that I used for the last month+ while my "good" truck was all apart for HVAC doors. I tore it apart, and then got busy. Just got back together yesterday.

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    I jumped in mine this morning, and it was a brisk 55 degrees. Twisted the knob to the red side (after there was some heat in the engine), and got nothing but cold air.
    Looking like I am gonna be tearing in to that same HVAC box.......(sorry off topic).

Best advice for buying used is: don't buy from a dealer. (DUH, LOL)

My current rig did come from a dealer. But, it was high miles, and they were having a hard time getting rid of it.
    Knowing what it was. After a very lengthy test drive, I wasn't skeered.
    I made an offer (complete lowball). They accepted. He handed me a credit app. I said "that won't be necessary".
    I could see the disappointment in his eyes when he realized he wouldn't get to play his hidden profits game with me.

That was an interesting day, LOL. The wife and I drove 130 miles from Gilbert, to Cottonwood. To buy a truck.
    We then searched Craigslist while we were there for a trailer (we were looking for a toy-hauler). There was one listed pretty cheap.
    Went and checked it out. It wasn't exactly what we wanted, but it would work. Offered what we were willing to pay for it. He reluctantly accepted.

So I hooked a truck I had owned for less than an hour, to a 9,500lb tag toy-hauler I had never seen, and drove 130 miles back home, LOL.
    That 260 mile round trip probably saved me $10k over shopping in the valley.
    Here was the walk-around and hitch adjusting session in Cottonwood before we actually got on the road:

20150221_142656.jpg

I sold that trailer last weekend (4 years and 5 uses later) for exactly what I paid for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    I jumped in mine this morning, and it was a brisk 55 degrees. Twisted the knob to the red side (after there was some heat in the engine), and got nothing but cold air.
    Looking like I am gonna be tearing in to that same HVAC box.......(sorry off topic).

Best advice for buying used is: don't buy from a dealer. (DUH, LOL)

My current rig did come from a dealer. But, it was high miles, and they were having a hard time getting rid of it.
    Knowing what it was. After a very lengthy test drive, I wasn't skeered.
    I made an offer (complete lowball). They accepted. He handed me a credit app. I said "that won't be necessary".
    I could see the disappointment in his eyes when he realized he wouldn't get to play his hidden profits game with me.

FWIW - you want to go with "Blend Door USA" doors.

"Brisk 55" eh? LOL!

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

20. Likes wrustle, machinistrrt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"Brisk 55" eh? LOL!
    Living in the desert does weird things to your body.
    When I was living in New England, 72 degrees was time
    to go swimming.. Now 72 degrees is time to put on a
    jacket.

22. Likes wrustle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

FWIW - you want to go with "Blend Door USA" doors.

"Brisk 55" eh? LOL!

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Thanks for the tip!

And, yea, like Bob said: the desert does weird things to you.
    Just had this conversation the other night. Me and an old friend (both from PA) and a new friend (from AZ).
    My old chum, says to new chum, about me "this idiot used to walk 1/2 mile to my house in the snow with bare feet".
    30 degrees here goes straight to your bones, feels like -10 there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I was in college in Wisconsin, my neighbor wore flip flop sandals with no socks any time it was above 20F and the sidewalk had been plowed...

More than once I remember the water pipes to the kitchen sink freezing up while we were there and the heat was on. We had to leave the cupboard doors open to thaw them out.

Then again, I can't remember any houses or campus buildings having AC. Maybe the computer labs, but I don't think so.

Post Thanks / Like

dscf0666.jpg

Maybe not. Vent windows. manual crank side windows. Sliding back window. AC by mother nature. Heat inadequate beyond defrosting about half the windshield. No radio. Where do you want to go? This will get you there.

Driven a minimum of 26 miles a day 6 days a week. $20.00 for gas every Friday or Saturday.

26. Likes Joe Miranda, wheelieking71, Garwood liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by alphonso View Post
    dscf0666.jpg

Driven a minimum of 26 miles a day 6 days a week.
    If that truck was driven 6 days a week in Illinois, there wouldn't be enough of it left to fill a match box...

28. Likes Booze Daily liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This has been one of the most enjoyable things for me living in the southwest. Nothing rusts.
    I see trucks like alphonso's all the time! Mine is 14 years old now, and has not one speck of rust.
    If you can get it in the shade here, it will last a very-very long time.
    Park it on the dirt in Pennsylvania, and you can almost watch it turn reddish brown from the bottom up.

30. Likes Pathogen liked this post