OT--Why Are Used Late Model Used Pickups so Expensive? - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was installing exhaust manifolds and transmission pans at my last job on 2010-2013 Ford Trucks

2. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think the real answer to your question is- Supply and Demand.
    you know, capitalism.

If the used trucks werent "worth" that much, they wouldnt be getting those prices.
    They actually sold record breaking numbers of new trucks in the USA last year.
    2016 was the biggest new vehicle sales year in history, at almost 18 million.

So its not like EVERYBODY is broke.

Average new car price is north of 35 grand.
    Most people are not willing to sell their used car cheap, and, with new cars being so expensive, they seem to be getting pretty good money for em.
    Part of that is that, after the recession of 2008, a lot of people put off buying a new car until they couldnt wait any longer, so there are probably fewer good used cars around right now, because so many were driven til they dropped.

Part of it is that new cars are so much better than they used to be that most last 200k, easy.

I remember buying a good half dozen used cars that had a 100k miles on them, for $100 to $400, because, in the early 70s, when a car had 100k on it, it was done, and worthless. Now, you see people asking over ten grand for cars with 300k "highway miles" pretty often.

And, in case you havent noticed, coffee doesnt cost a dime anymore, either.

4. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by alskdjfhg View Post
    I need a simple vehicle that doesn't mind a little abuse. I don't need some $80k pickup as a useless status symbol.
    I agree on the uselessness of a status symbol. I find the whole idea of a pickup truck being a status symbol strange. Who's going to be impressed? I don't think something gets to status symbol status until there are a lot more zeros....and even then it only works if the audience is the shallow, impressed by what others have, type

I'm generally only impressed (or not) by what I have.

6. Likes wheelieking71, Chrisw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by alphonso View Post
    Attachment 212855

Maybe not. Vent windows. manual crank side windows. Sliding back window. AC by mother nature. Heat inadequate beyond defrosting about half the windshield. No radio. Where do you want to go? This will get you there.

Driven a minimum of 26 miles a day 6 days a week. $20.00 for gas every Friday or Saturday.
    I've got one like that, '69 F600 grain truck.

Little bitty 6cly gas engine for a truck with over a 20,000lb GVW, torquey little thing though. I have a picture of me sitting inside the engine bay under the hood, easiest way to fill the brake reservoir.

So much room in that engine bay, not only can you see plenty of ground, but I'm pretty sure I could close the hood with me inside.

Electrical system is next to nonexistent; screwdriver, hammer, wrenches and sockets are pretty much all you need to work on it.

But on the other hand, more than about 40mph and your bouncing all over the road. No anti-lock brakes, but it's got anti-stop brakes; meaning they'll slow you down, but actually stopping might be asking a bit much.....

It's been sitting in the shop for far too long than I care to admit while I do some basic tune up stuff to it. Nearly every time I use it pays for it's self.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1106161557.jpg   0314171203a.jpg  

8. Likes wheelieking71, Bobw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    I agree on the uselessness of a status symbol. I find the whole idea of a pickup truck being a status symbol strange. Who's going to be impressed? I don't think something gets to status symbol status until there are a lot more zeros....and even then it only works if the audience is the shallow, impressed by what others have, type

I'm generally only impressed (or not) by what I have.
    I think it's a correlation along with how farm and heavy equipment has massively grown in size.

50-60 years ago, a half or 3/4 ton single cab pick up would have been a normal farm truck. Heck grain used to be hauled to the elevator in trucks like the one I posed above. Now, the combines themselves will hold more grain than the little single axle grain trucks could ever hold. Forcing a shift to semi's.

An old two row combine can go down the road in one piece (don't ask how I know.....), where as a monster with a 30' header has to either fold up, but most guys down here seem to take the header off and tow it behind a truck. I don't know what they weight, but I doubt a 3/4 ton or 1/2 ton would like to pull it.

Now most of the folks that are actually using trucks for work have steeped up to 4500s or 5500s, and that would be a light support truck to pull a header or run to town for parts. A single cab 1/2 ton pick up is just not enough truck to keep up given the size and needs of the Big Time Operators.

So it seem that the 3/4 ton and smaller truck market has shifted to suburban folks that MIGHT haul a boat or car around. But really they don't need a pickup.

I was actually on the Dodge site building trucks and pricing them (I'd prefer cummins to ford or DMax), the options that the 3500s and down come with are like; fancy rims, leather interiors, heated mirrors, collapsible ladder to access the bed, etc. Where as the 4500s and 5500s the options are more like; wet kit, air suspension, extra heavy front axle, etc.

I'm no expert, but it seems that one size class is geared for forks with DOT numbers, CDLs, that do actual work and the other are for folks that want a "big" truck. Granted I'm generalizing here.

Old vs New: 1974 vs 217 Ford F-25 - How Much Has The Super Duty Changed in 43 Years? - YouTube
    I watched this video and it made sense to me, folks are using these trucks differently now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

About a year ago I was on the hunt for a newer used Burb..........I ended up with a brand new one. Year end deals and few other discounts got her down to a few $K more than a used unit. Plus got a few months of free sat radio and Onstar.............

So yeah....used trucks are spendy. And if'n you'r spending big bucks on a late model rig, it darn well better not have the red cancer 'round the wheel wells and door bottoms. Are we living back in the 70's again? Man do these things rust fast. The Dodges are about the worst and the Chevs aren't too far behind. My early/mid 90's Chevys didn't start rotting after a year or two. Heck, 10yrs plus before you had problems. Now you can see a crew cab greasel only a coupla years old with blisters under the paint?!?!?!! I sure would be miffed if I was driving a $50k+ rusty rig down the road.....................I may have to swallow my pride and go get me one of them alley minimum Fordsons.....................

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

An old two row combine can go down the road in one piece (don't ask how I know.....), where as a monster with a 30' header has to either fold up, but most guys down here seem to take the header off and tow it behind a truck. I don't know what they weight, but I doubt a 3/4 ton or 1/2 ton would like to pull it.
    It's hard to see, but the neighbor got this a few years back.

A folding corn head. It's folded right now, they go all the way up and over 180 degrees.

IIRC there's 4 rows in the center stationary section, and 4 on each fold up
    side.

That's a 850 bushel grain cart next to it, built in scales too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gedc0409.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by david n View Post
    I may have to swallow my pride and go get me one of them alley minimum Fordsons.....................
    Don't do it. They are work-hardening, and falling apart (already). Lots of complaints from a buddy that works at a Ford dealer about cracks in the bodies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by david n View Post
    Are we living back in the 70's again? Man do these things rust fast. The Dodges are about the worst
    What do you mean?? My Dodge will be 20 years old next month, no rust, still has almost
    all the paint on the frame.. Still has the same exhaust and muffler it left the factory with.
    And I don't play nice with it, I've washed it maybe 10 times in the 17 years I've had it, and
    certainly not in the past 10.

alskdjfhg, that's the truck my grumpy old gramps had when I was a kid.. Cab was a little
    bit brighter red, and the flat bed didn't dump.. It was a cool old truck, wish he hadn't
    sold it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maine
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobw View Post
    What do you mean?? My Dodge will be 20 years old next month, no rust, still has almost
    all the paint on the frame.. Still has the same exhaust and muffler it left the factory with.
    And I don't play nice with it, I've washed it maybe 10 times in the 17 years I've had it, and
    You people in the Southwest just keep rubbing it in.

15. Likes Bobw, wheelieking71 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

alskdjfhg, that's the truck my grumpy old gramps had when I was a kid.. Cab was a little
    bit brighter red, and the flat bed didn't dump.. It was a cool old truck, wish he hadn't
    sold it.
    That's the difference between the desert and lands with salt and humidity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny SolidWorks View Post
    Do what I do when I need a 'nice' car for a customer thing: rent one for a day. Seriously. It'll be like $75 bucks, it'll be pristine and nice, and you won't have to try to justify a $50,000 truck purchase to your wife for the 5 or 6 times a year you take a customer out.
    Ha, yea, if I get the urge to buy some expensive status-symbol, mega-depreciating asset auto-mobile, go out and rent one for a week or month and the "thrill (and want) is gone". The new-car smell and novelty wears off long before the payments (which by the time the payments are complete, the auto-mobile is worth zilch). The auto-mobile marketing and targeting and psychology is indeed a masterpiece of consumer manipulation.

Standard pickups (I have one) not used/needed/designed for heavy-duty towing, or not equipped with a custom steel bed, are not really too useful; convenient for easily throwing some lumber/trash/doityourself tasks, but really unsuited for much else because the bed is so high and light-duty, no decent tiedown points, etc--a van is in general would be more useful it seems.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maine
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by car2 View Post
    Standard pickups (I have one) not used/needed/designed for heavy-duty towing, or not equipped with a custom steel bed, are not really too useful; convenient for easily throwing some lumber/trash/doityourself tasks, but really unsuited for much else because the bed is so high and light-duty, no decent tiedown points, etc--a van is in general would be more useful it seems.
    I use my truck (2003 F150 short bed*) for all sorts of things a van would be terrible at. I can't get the front end loader to dump a bucket full of dirt, gravel, or compost straight into the back of my van.

*I would have preferred a longer bed, but we got a great deal on it.

19. Likes Pattnmaker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I love my one ton van and trailer combo for versatility... I also bought it for $250

21. Likes Bobw, wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've got one like that, '69 F600 grain truck.

Little bitty 6cly gas engine for a truck with over a 20,000lb GVW, torquey little thing though. I have a picture of me sitting inside the engine bay under the hood, easiest way to fill the brake reservoir.

So much room in that engine bay, not only can you see plenty of ground, but I'm pretty sure I could close the hood with me inside.

Electrical system is next to nonexistent; screwdriver, hammer, wrenches and sockets are pretty much all you need to work on it.

But on the other hand, more than about 40mph and your bouncing all over the road. No anti-lock brakes, but it's got anti-stop brakes; meaning they'll slow you down, but actually stopping might be asking a bit much.....

It's been sitting in the shop for far too long than I care to admit while I do some basic tune up stuff to it. Nearly every time I use it pays for it's self.

I bought one of those (F600) 25 yrs ago. It was a '75 or there abouts. It was only rated for 4000# payload over what it weighed empty. So, unless I was hauling a Mustang, I was overweight.

I hauled 20K home from 10+ miles away once. Filled the deck up with crates of forgings. Took 3 miles to get to 55mph, and didn't need brakes as it slowed as fast as I let out of the gas. Mine had a 360. (Pretty sure it wasn't a 390?)

But the single worst thing about that truck was the single lung master cylinder. ARE YOU KIDDING? In 1975 any passenger vehicle was required to have one, but a straight truck is OK going down the road on one lung?

I was riding with my dad in his old (50's?) Dodge tandem axle straight truck to the pickle factory back in '72(?) with a load, and I remember (couldn't forget) blowing through a stop light on the way when he lost brakes. Any truck that size today would have air brakes, but obviously this one didn't have that at the time.

But hey, this was a 50's truck eh? Well FFW a cpl decades later and I blew through a stop sign on a county road near here for the same reason. I was amazed (more like pissed!) to find that it had a one lunger on the '75!

Then, to add insult to injury, about 6-8 yrs ago - during The Crash, I went up to Alpena to pick up a Bridgeport that I was helping to sell, and put it on a truck for Florida. When I pulled out of the Booger King in Grayling I knew something wasn't right. I pulled into a parking lot accrost the road and gave it the once over, and decided that I had blown a brake line in my '99 Dodge. Swell.....

Well, no worries, I will drive like a white man (old farmer?) and I still will have the other half of the brakes.

Before long I realized that I didn't have either "half".

Apparently when they went to anti-lock brakes, they (all of them that I can tell) have gone BACK to one lung reseviours! Somehow I'm not seeing that having anti-locks with one lung cyl any safer (big pigture) than just having dual lung masters. (just costs a lot more)

How did they get that past DOT?

Houston - I take it that _ that is not your video, but Shirley the 460 was an option in '74?

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    Before long I realized that I didn't have either "half".
    Yeah I realized the same thing in a similar way, but not so dramatic. Pulling into the shop I just kept right on rolling till I had the presence of mind to grab the hand brake. It's a metal band around the drive shaft, of course worn out and out of adjustment, but was enough to stop me empty in the shop.

I think Dad calculated that with the full side boards it would have carried over 200 bushels. It's got a 15,000 rear and 5,500lb front. Only got 23,000 miles, but going off the broken leaf springs on the real axle, I think it's seen some weight in it's time.

Most farmers seemed to load these trucks till they were spilling over the sides then expect them to be driven as fast as possible to the elevator and back.

I've been using this truck around the farm, very rarely driving on the road. Working mostly by myself I'm kinda scared to get into a situation where I'd be up a creek in the event of a brake down. Which is all too common an event with my machinery. One of the reasons I move so ungodly slow now.

Had the vaccum pump go out of the dodge one time pulling off the high way at 65mph. That was fun, I was REALLY close to "borrowing" some brakes from the civic that decided to stop in front of me.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've never know many grain trucks to go (be driven) much over 45mph, if that.
    Y'all must doo thangs differn't down yonder.

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was riding with my dad in his old (50's?) Dodge tandem axle straight truck to the pickle factory
    You can't say "pickle factory" with a straight face..
    So whats the deal with the pickle factory?? If you
    say its actually a pickle factory, I'm going to be
    quite disappointed.

26. Likes wheelieking71, Mcgyver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    I've never know many grain trucks to go (be driven) much over 45mph, if that.
    That's pretty fast to me, given the steering and weak brakes, and that they were most likely over loaded.

I've gotten mine wound up to around 50 or, with that 1960's bouncing spedo hard to really tell, at that speed the narrow roads we have with deep ditches get to be a little intimating.

But maybe I'm just chicken.

28. Likes Ox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You can't say "pickle factory" with a straight face..
    So whats the deal with the pickle factory?? If you
    say its actually a pickle factory, I'm going to be
    quite disappointed.

Sorry Charlie, but we had a load of pickles, headed for Madison Pickle Factory.
    It's gone now, but I remember many large wooden vats all around. (I still wonder if they were open top?)
    That may have been the only time that I was there as my Mommy wouldn't let me ride in that truck again after that day.

That's OK, he got a tilt cab Ford (you know the style) after that. Well, then a Freightliner maybe a cpl more years later at the most... I know that he had the Freightliner by '75 at least.

I can only find a pic of the back section of that Dodge, but I remember being amazed at how long the bed was on it at the time. (5 yrs old?) I remember asking how long it was and I am sure that I was told 40'. To this day I have a hard time believing in a 40' deck on a straight truck, but then it was REALLY long when standing up on it. .. and a pic recently confirmed that it was a tandem axle, and there was plenty of bed after the axles, so ... I don't know....

I wonder if they meant that it was 40' total, and I was asking about the deck only?
    (Not sure that it was my dad that I asked.)

I thought about asking on the "Old Diesel" facebook page if anyone there heard of such a thing....

Anyhow, I'm sorry. I don't know where you were going with that idea, but we hauled pickles and tomatoes on our trucks.

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox