What's new
What's new

Our OSHA rep called today, they want to showcase green manufacturing

kustomizer

Diamond
Our OSHA rep called today, He wanted to put our name on a list of green manufacturing facilities because we are solar powered. I asked him what we were expected to do and what we might expect from them and he didn't have too many answers as he says it is a new program. OSHA is here every year at our request so I am not worried about that, we run a clean shop, my question is just to see if anybody else has heard of this or may have more info.
thanks
mark

I forgot to mention this is the federal OSHA guy ( sharps ), not calOSHA, but this may not matter.

Last edited:
Use that as a marketing tool to get work from Toyota, Ford, Paccar, Freighliner, Schneider Electric. They eat that type of lingo for breakfast.

Congrats! How much is solar powered? Can you get 220/440 3ph from solar power? I am a dummy when it comes to electrical. Just look at my wirecutters/strippers... :nutter:

He is part of their "white hat" program, they try to help keep us and our workers safe, they cannot fine us, they can only advise us on better, safer ways to do things. I have known him for almost 10 years now and he has only helped. However he doesn't seem to know much about what the feds are up to on this one, and I have to admit I have no idea what they ( feds ) are up to on a lot of subjects.

Countryboy, our system is rated at 30kw, between the changes we made to the way we use power and the solar we took what was almost $1100.00 per month for the shop and our home ( 200 feet away ) and turned it into what we now have, aprx $250.00 per year. It is grid tied and yes it does make 240 3ph, but it takes 5 - single phase inverters to do it.

Sounds interesting....
I'm not into solar yet, but I can comment on water savings. In my home I installed a low water usage toilets about a year ago.

I have no idea how this went from OSHA to water but, on the water savings, my friend is on city water, but has an old well in his backyard. Water out here is expensive and irrigating/watering your lawn can get insanely expensive. So, since the water table is only about 16 feet down in his yard, he's working on a wind driven(we have no shortage of wind) air compressor to fill up a big ass tub to irrigate his yard. 10psi in is giving 4 psi of water out, in the gallon a minute range. It comes out in spurts, but who cares. Should save him $20-$30 a month. It will be interesting to see if it works.

Not to mention, a good many drivers use the AC with a window open.

I do that, just because I can, and it was one of my old man's biggest pet peeves. I really don't see a difference in mileage. Highway at 75 or the backroads at 55, thats where I see a measurable difference.

If someone could invent a car that runs on sh!t and doesn't emit anything harmful then the government alone could keep all the vehicles in the country running.

Back