What's new
What's new

Heat treating costs for CPM 15V

RJT

Titanium
About 50 pieces, 15 lbs,could all fit in a half gallon jug. Vacuum heat treat, triple temper and cryogenic freeze . I know there is a lot of handling and furnace time. Customer specified process, they swear parts last longer and perform better using this process. I pass the cost on to my customer, but it's a $550. bill, so I would like to know if this is a reasonable price?

That seems pretty high, but I haven't needed heat treat in a very long time so I am probably out of the loop. We used to do CPM10v, A2, D2, 4140, S7 and I don't think we ever had a bill that high, even for 50lbs plus... Might be the extra triple temper and cryo treat driving that price?

12L14 case harden to 55-60 Rc is about $1/pound for us IIRC.

Although I don't know if CPM is a lot more complicated?

Yes, I'm sure they extra processes drive up the price, we get a lot of A-2, D-2, 440C vacuum heat treated , first 10 lbs at $125.00 which is pretty normal around here (includes pick up and delivery next day).

AMT high point?

As you've stated, a minimum for 1st 10#, then typically $1/lb for harden/draw.
The sub-zero will add significant expense, as the process is time consuming... time = $
and expensive $, even though the process is automated.

Then.... additional temper after the sub-zero process. It do add up!

I believe they have a schedule for pickup.... not 1000% sure they have cyro, but believe so...
best to contact directly.. Brant Ramm

Next day....? the cyro process is probably in excess of 36 hours mainly for ramp up and down through temperature zones, harden only can run one full day (triple temper @ 2 hrs each)
Believe process will run...
vacuum harden, then a "holding" temper, then cyro, then additional temper(s) after cyro.

That is kind of high.

We use Winston Heat-treating in Dayton Ohio. ( Dayton, Ohio Heat Treating | Winston Heat Treating ) We send them 27" long rods of PM-M4 HSS from time to time for heat treat, straighten, & triple temper. Around $150 I believe. It really seems like a bargain to me. (They are ISO & NADCAP certified by the way, so if you're doing defense/aero work, they should be able to help.)

Granted, that's without cryo-treat, and I'm not sure what the different specs are for PM-M4 vs. CMP-15V.

I do know that CPM-15V is EX-PEN-SIVE though, so no reason to cheap-out on the heat-treat.

Here vac heat treat is 80.00 minimum. If it is that small of a batch it would be 80.00 here in Missouri. If you Mail it to him he’s fast. New London mo.
Don

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CPM 10V has to be triple drawn to achieve it's 'near carbide' hardness / toughness. It's been several years since I had any heat-treated, but $550 still sounds a bit high. Make a few calls to heat-treaters. Won't take much to make the freight worth while.

I just remembered, that another vendor that we use occasionally can heat-treat these as well. Richter Precision ( www.RichterPrecision.com ) We use them for coating, and have had good luck. Never used their heat-treat services, but they are pretty involved in heat-treating tool & die components from what I understand. They might be worth a shot too...

Back