Parts/Tooling Organization or How I Made Sortly Work for Me - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TravisR100 View Post
    Considering it was free, I think it was worth the money.
    Except when one of those flimsy drawers lets go and all your loose endmills taken out of their protective sleeves fall on the floor, a brand new Lista would look cheap compared to that.

I like your concept and organization, but I will never understand taking endmills out of their sleeves.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Parts/Tooling Organization or How I Made Sortly Work for Me

Quote Originally Posted by Insert View Post
    Except when one of those flimsy drawers lets go and all your loose endmills taken out of their protective sleeves fall on the floor, a brand new Lista would look cheap compared to that.

I like your concept and organization, but I will never understand taking endmills out of their sleeves.
    Understand what youíre saying. I didnít take these out of their sleeves. These were all end mills from an auction. But perhaps I should look to see if I can buy empty tubes/sleeves. Havenít looked.

$50.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Most of my cutters are in these StorLoc drawers. The ones below the butcher block.

Iíll be using the map cabinets for small parts.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

But perhaps I should look to see if I can buy empty tubes/sleeves. Haven’t looked.
    McMaster-Carr
    Dip coating, just need a small heated pot. I use an old mini deep fryer.

5. Likes converterking liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Understand what youíre saying. I didnít take these out of their sleeves. These were all end mills from an auction. But perhaps I should look to see if I can buy empty tubes/sleeves. Havenít looked.

$50.

I too had a bunch of endmills without their sleeves. I ended up buying a handful of different size rifle and shotgun holders from Amazon for a few bucks each. They can hold a bunch of endmills in a small footprint, but they are not going to fit in a 1" drawer though.

I have individual boxes for 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" and 3/4" endmills. The shotgun shell boxes are too short to close the lid all the way with a typical 3/4" endmill so I ended up removing the lid on those.

The shotgun shell boxes are large enough to hold a bunch of smaller endmills still in their tubes if you want to organize them that way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shotgun-shell-holder.jpg   rifle-cartridge-holder.jpg   rifle-cartridge-holder-2.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Philabuster View Post
    I too had a bunch of endmills without their sleeves. I ended up buying a handful of different size rifle and shotgun holders from Amazon for a few bucks each. They can hold a bunch of endmills in a small footprint, but they are not going to fit in a 1" drawer though.

I have individual boxes for 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" and 3/4" endmills. The shotgun shell boxes are too short to close the lid all the way with a typical 3/4" endmill so I ended up removing the lid on those.

The shotgun shell boxes are large enough to hold a bunch of smaller endmills still in their tubes if you want to organize them that way.
    Great idea.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For all the derision, one would think that people would have understood, given the OP was as clear as can be with his opening statement ( literally ) of:

First of all, Iím a home shop guy, not a professional.
    Yes, Listas are great. ...And even used and abused they fetch more than most shops are comfortable spending, much less a hobbyist.

TravisR100 -

Personally, I applaud your level of organization and effort. I want to do similarly, but just do not have the time it seems. One day...

Nice job! I love it.

9. Likes ratbldr427, jmp liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you. I do realize the limitations of the map cabinets. Not trying to load them up full of steel. Have the StorLoc cabinets for heavy capacity. Just trying to show whatís possible with organization using the QR codes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Philabuster View Post

Philabuster, what sort of feed and speed do you use when machining with those 12 gauge shells? Any problem holding them in a collet?

12. Likes Philabuster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I like the use of the QR codes, I also hadn't seen the Sortly app before, looks neat. I hate the monthly fee programs, but I think the free one will be nice on some stuff at home. I've been using QR codes for inventorying incoming work, but those are generated through an Access database. Thanks for posting up about this.

On the Brother TZe tapes, I've actually had good luck with the generic label cartridges, not quite as nice as the OEM stuff but for the money they're awesome.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rbent View Post
    I like the use of the QR codes, I also hadn't seen the Sortly app before, looks neat. I hate the monthly fee programs, but I think the free one will be nice on some stuff at home. I've been using QR codes for inventorying incoming work, but those are generated through an Access database. Thanks for posting up about this.

On the Brother TZe tapes, I've actually had good luck with the generic label cartridges, not quite as nice as the OEM stuff but for the money they're awesome.
    Unfortunately with the totally free version of Sortly it wonít scan codes. Have to have at least the minimal subscription. Other downside is that it will only scan codes generated by Sortly. Canít scan 3rd party codes.

Iíve so far just used the Brother tapes. Havenít tried the generic ones.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Considering it was free, I think it was worth the money.

It is possible that your cabinet is quite stout. I have a smaller cabinet originally used for file cards that looks similar to yours. Each drawer keeps up with my Lyon cabinet drawers easily. I have the entire allen screw set in one, and hex bolts in another drawer. Might be totally different but they hold ALOT of weight.

The fastener sets were 300 lbs each set.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Unfortunately with the totally free version of Sortly it wonít scan codes. Have to have at least the minimal subscription. Other downside is that it will only scan codes generated by Sortly. Canít scan 3rd party codes.

Iíve so far just used the Brother tapes. Havenít tried the generic ones.

I created a web based application for keeping track of tooling, fixtures and the like at a company I worked for a few years ago. You can buy hand scanners that emulate a keyboard on Amazon for $25 and there are plenty of label printers that will print barcodes from an Excel file.

It was a bit of work but no monthly fees and fully customizable. One feature I never implemented was the ability to scan the barcode on endmills and look up the product details. Does Sortly do that or are you hand entering cutting tool details?

Teryk

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can attest to the fact that the map cabinet is well built. How much weight each drawer can handle, I don't know. I can tell you each drawer weighs about 30 lbs on its own. I carried each of those drawers individually down 1.5 flights of stairs when I picked it up.

Guessing it was made in the 60ís.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mTeryk View Post
    I created a web based application for keeping track of tooling, fixtures and the like at a company I worked for a few years ago. You can buy hand scanners that emulate a keyboard on Amazon for $25 and there are plenty of label printers that will print barcodes from an Excel file.

It was a bit of work but no monthly fees and fully customizable. One feature I never implemented was the ability to scan the barcode on endmills and look up the product details. Does Sortly do that or are you hand entering cutting tool details?

Teryk

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    Something custom would be ideal. I was just looking for something off the shelf that would work for me. Tried a handful of different apps and Sortly seemed to do what I needed.

I'm hand entering the cutter information in a spreadsheet and importing that so that it shows in Sortly when I scan a code. It's not actually necessary since I can just enter a URL for the product and sortly will display and take you to whatever web page you tell it to for a particular item.

As I mentioned previously, no, Sortly will not allow you to scan a code (bar or QR) and get the manufacturer information. For that to work they'd have to have a database of SKU's to match to. Sortly will not allow you to scan a code at all unless it was a code generated by Sortly (or you've convinced it that it was generated by Sortly). There is a Pro version of Sortly that will allow you to scan 3rd party bar codes and is geared toward businesses for the purpose of inventory. What it can do with those 3rd party bar code scans I don't know. But i believe the Pro version started at about $60 a month.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Kudos on the organization, we're working on a similar system with QR codes and online inventories.

img_20190531_175045811.jpg
    Here's a variation on the theme, CAT-40 stands. Our 3D printer has a lot of free time outside it's main purpose of making prototypes. I print out bins too, costs about 3/4 as much as buying Shaller but I can make them exactly the size I want and just run a few off as needed, rather than buying a big variety pack that will inevitably have a number of useless (to me) sizes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Most of my cutters are in these StorLoc drawers. The ones below the butcher block.

Iíll be using the map cabinets for small parts.

Love that desk/work bench!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cole2534 View Post
    Love that desk/work bench!

Thanks. StorLoc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks. StorLoc.

I'm thinking some harbor freight toolboxes and butcher block would be quite neat as well...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One problem to watch out for is that labels printed on thermal image printers will fade rather quickly when exposed to fluorescent light.
    When we set up our inventory control system we printed the bar coded bin labels on an ink jet.A year later new clerk decides to use thermal image printer. 15years later the ink jet labels look like new after a year or two the others were unreadable.It's going to be a major pain to redo.Probably no big deal on a small inventory.
    It's one of those things no one knew about until the damage was done.