What's new
What's new

Podcast for Small Job Shops

deerefanatic

Aluminum
Question, would there be interest here from shop owners/employees for a podcast for small machine shops/job shops? There seems to be good resources for large production type shops, and then there's the home shop machinist podcasts that seem to have stalled out, but they are geared more towards hobbyists.

I think it'd be neat to get folks on to talk about different challenges and such with things ranging from shop ownership, supply chain (how to get good prices on supplies when you're not a huge company), challenging setups and how you tackled them, etc.

Youtube is great, and I love to watch folks like Abom79, Brian Block, Ox Tools, etc. But youtube isn't great for listening to while you work. I enjoy listening to audiobooks and podcasts, I've learned alot while doing more mindless work like cleaning, etc.

Looking for feedback, as I'd be willing to give it a go if there's interest. If so, who'd like to be on an episode?

-Matt

Probably the show that fits your bill the best is the Within Tolerance podcast. It is hosted by two guys who have small shops. There is also the Business of Machining Podcast (Saunders / Grimsmo).

Question, would there be interest here from shop owners/employees for a podcast for small machine shops/job shops? There seems to be good resources for large production type shops, and then there's the home shop machinist podcasts that seem to have stalled out, but they are geared more towards hobbyists.

I think it'd be neat to get folks on to talk about different challenges and such with things ranging from shop ownership, supply chain (how to get good prices on supplies when you're not a huge company), challenging setups and how you tackled them, etc.

Youtube is great, and I love to watch folks like Abom79, Brian Block, Ox Tools, etc. But youtube isn't great for listening to while you work. I enjoy listening to audiobooks and podcasts, I've learned alot while doing more mindless work like cleaning, etc.

Looking for feedback, as I'd be willing to give it a go if there's interest. If so, who'd like to be on an episode?

-Matt

Not in the least.

Never listened to a podcast.
Don't know anything about them.
And have no inclination to change that status in any way.

That said - I have no place in my shop for anything playing that you need to "listen" to.
I kicked the "radio" out a cpl decades ago as I found commercials and DJ's to break my concentration when dooing setups or adjustments.
It's not the same as 50 yr old music playing that is only background.

-------------------------

Our Day Will Come
Ox

I kicked the "radio" out a cpl decades ago as I found commercials and DJ's to break my concentration when dooing setups or adjustments.
It's not the same as 50 yr old music playing that is only background.

Pandora with an ad blocker for me. Nothing but music.

Matt,

Are you a entertainer or a machinist?

When one considers the endless supply of daily uploaded content on the Internet, is there
a reason or purpose your podcast would be worth "tuning in" for?

Perhaps the content and the "product" should exist first through a series of podcasts...
and then at that point... you would know if there is a reason or purpose in continuing.

Seeking approval to do something you think you'd enjoy doing appears to be backward.

Produce your program, market it... promote it... and then ... if your efforts are
viewed as opening night performances... then... then maybe you'll have a hit show.

John

Matt, Practical Machinist is great for a detailed technical question, and horrible for an open ended "should I do this" question. Ask forgiveness rather than permission.

But since you asked... Just do it. Make a list of guys on here that have good good input, and a standard list of interviews questions. Contact them directly, see if they'll talk to you. I happen to like podcasts and will listen, but even if no one listens ever I bet you learn a bunch from interviewing these guys.

Back