What's new
What's new

Portable Bridgeport

chip_maker

Stainless
Had a thought of building a heavy duty cart to bolt to the bottom of a bridgeport mill so I could roll it where I need it then lock the wheels.

Has anyone ever done such a thing or am i out in left field somewhere?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

If I was going to do something like that, I would add leveling screws that come down below the casters. So you roll it to where you want then jack it up off the wheels. Even the best casters when locked will still be wobbly in my experience.

I worked in a shop that had one. Think it was used mostly for drilling and light milling. I would not want it mobile for anything that required too much precision...

That is my plan for my mill. Part of the reason is that my shop crane doesn't cover the area that I want to move it to, the rest of the reason is that the floor isn't completely flat.

I'm using castors with built in leveling feet.

Go carefull with thoes, im not impressed i have them on my pipe bender and whilst yes they allow movement, if i bought new i would just get std locking castors or separate feet. With the wiggle and vibration of use they drop back down and your constantly locking them back down. The feet are a hardish plastic, not a firm rubber and just don't work well. Much prefer normal casters then proper vibration rubber feet on each corner with good old lock nuts! With vibration on a mill i think you would be chaseing it around the shop in no time, equally there just a std bolt thread so your going to really struggle to level something the weight of a Bridgeport with there in built adjuster foot bit add in the very limited extension the feet in them have not doing at all well on your unlevel floor!

Go with the pallet jack, (with cribbing under machine) and fab up an underslung-caster arrangement for the front of the jack. Lift up Bridgeport, slide caster attachment under fork tips, lower just enough until front casters take weight of machine on fork tips. Move as required, then slide out casters and lower machine. You can spin it around in pallet jack's length, but sit it down on the cribbing for no-fuss stability. Leveling may require shims.

Always keep lift height as low as possible -- like 1/2" to 3/4" or so.

Back