What's new
What's new

Possible DropBox Download Malice Ware?

Ox

Diamond
Heads up, not even sure if this is an issue or not, but:

I got a mail a cpl days ago with a link to a PDF on DropBox.

I haven't used that site often enough to know what is normal operation, but it wanted me to download it - rather than just open it.

I was not familiar with the sender, and his dot.com page (per his e-mail address) didn't come up either.
The sender said that he would call me tomorrow to discuss.

I pinged my boy and asked him if it is possible to git a bug via a PDF on Dropbox?
It didn't seem likely to me, but the gut was :skep:.

Boy said "Possible, but not likely".

I asked the sender to first disclose exactly who they were as their dot.com doesn't exist.
I did not open the file, and decided to wait 'till the sender contacted me.

Sender has yet to answer the Q or contact me.

------------------

Fair Warning
Ox

Heads up, not even sure if this is an issue or not, but:

I got a mail a cpl days ago with a link to a PDF on DropBox.

I haven't used that site often enough to know what is normal operation, but it wanted me to download it - rather than just open it.

I was not familiar with the sender, and his dot.com page (per his e-mail address) didn't come up either.
The sender said that he would call me tomorrow to discuss.

I pinged my boy and asked him if it is possible to git a bug via a PDF on Dropbox?
It didn't seem likely to me, but the gut was :skep:.

Boy said "Possible, but not likely".

I asked the sender to first disclose exactly who they were as their dot.com doesn't exist.
I did not open the file, and decided to wait 'till the sender contacted me.

Sender has yet to answer the Q or contact me.

------------------

Fair Warning
Ox

Ox your best bet when receiving unannounced email with downloads and attachments from unknown senders is to ignore it.

You say you don't know the person, so why would you trust a random email link?

For reference I am a millenial and I got phished ONCE in my life, so it definitely happens. It definitely isn't going to happen again. That time I got phished, my email was basically hacked and started sending similar phishing emails to literally everyone in the org and every vendor! So we're talking like 1000 people lol. I felt so stupid...but to be fair the phishing email was so cleverly set up and disguised, it would fool a lot of people.

Back