What's new
What's new

Possibly a New Haimer record

SIM

Titanium
So after much consideration I decided a Haimer Taster would be advantageous.
Shopped around some and put one on order.
Set it up, calibrated dead on...played with it a bit and liked what I saw.

Showed man how to use before lunch...simple as pie.

Snapped tip within minutes of his return.

I didn't have it long enough to receive the bill...nor long enough to receive the extra tip purchased.

On the plus side, it is new enough your guy probably sill remembers how to set offsets with the old method.

After getting used to it for a year or so, then go back to the old methods......;):D

I bought a brand new one too..$400 clams. My son mashed it seconds in a 'Z' axis crash..the worst for a Haimer. I felt bad for him and ordered another..don't fuck this one up..I'll show you how to use it. I instantly did the exact same move..a fast 'Z' axis that mashed the taster. Talk about a couple of dough heads.

Sent them to Germany for repair..a little more than half the price of a new one. Live and learn.

Stuart

I’m sure he learned a valuable lesson. Had to be worth at least $800. I got lucky with my renishaw when it made a z-rapid move after probing. It stopped about 1/2” below the surface of the part and I never saw that little round ruby again.

Not bad I was expecting to hear you turned on the spindle at 12K and it was a new distance record!

One of my guys did that a few years ago, posted his program without setting the tool numbers, picked up the haimer instead of an endmill, he panicked and couldn't find the e-stop I guess - from the other end of the workshop I heard the guts of the indicator rattling off of the inside of the enclosure. The body and main mechanism survived the experience, turns out they are reasonably balanced(!) - just the indicator that detonated.

I have had Haimers on quite a few machines over the years, and only ever broke a couple of tips, but now that I'm down to only one older machine that still needs a Haimer I have never broken another tip - something about muscle memory and control differences...

I bought a brand new one too..$400 clams. My son mashed it seconds in a 'Z' axis crash..the worst for a Haimer. I felt bad for him and ordered another..don't fuck this one up..I'll show you how to use it. I instantly did the exact same move..a fast 'Z' axis that mashed the taster. Talk about a couple of dough heads.
Yeah, but think of the love and affection he must have for a Dad so caring as to go that kind of "extra mile" on-purpose - just to see that his Son didn't feel bad.

Or at least MY Dad always claimed he had actually MEANT to do that sort of thing.

Truth, lie, or red-faced joke-about-it, it did in fact, usually make ME feel better. Also made the both of us more careful.

:)

Not bad I was expecting to hear you turned on the spindle at 12K and it was a new distance record!

Nah that was my favorite Mititoyo Indicator that I had always kept in my toolbox tucked away safe and sound.
I reluctantly lent it to my guy as he was complaining about having a tough time seeing the shop indicator. Only 5k can really mess up an indicator pretty good.

The good part is he never complained about the shop indicator again.

I think your's it not the record.....there are examples I'm sure of negative time....:crazy:

UPS breaks it before you get it.....:D

One of my guys snapped the tip off of mine. After replacing it, I (repeatedly) attempted to recalibrate it. NADA!
I cannot get it to work for shit any longer. Considering it only lived for a month, and does not seem to be user serviceable, I gave up.:confused:

It seems it will need to head back to the factory.

Nah that was my favorite Mititoyo Indicator that I had always kept in my toolbox tucked away safe and sound.
I reluctantly lent it to my guy as he was complaining about having a tough time seeing the shop indicator. Only 5k can really mess up an indicator pretty good.

The good part is he never complained about the shop indicator again.
Did he buy you a new one?

One of my guys snapped the tip off of mine. After replacing it, I (repeatedly) attempted to recalibrate it. NADA!
I cannot get it to work for shit any longer. Considering it only lived for a month, and does not seem to be user serviceable, I gave up.:confused:

It seems it will need to head back to the factory.

Why cant you get it dialed in? Did you loosen the center screw (inside the shank) before trying to calibrate?

I had an older Mori we had a Haimer in for years. One day one of the guys decided to reorganize the standard tooling. The next time I used the machine I noticed the Haimer had these strange gouge marks on the sides. I checked the tool magazine and found he had decided to put it between a 3" face mill and a 3" shoulder mill.

Back