Pragmatism in hiring going "official", now?
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Pragmatism in hiring going "official", now?

Fifty and more years ago, collitch degrees had shown themselves a disappointment to major corporations.

Many among us had begun to simply set those degrees aside and look deeper for SOME form of evidence a potential hire understood personal responsibility, the value of teamwork, and that technology was ever-changing at an increasing rate. ALL of us would have to keep-on taking the odd course, creating our own training in-house, and keeping skills up to date.

Forever. ELSE go obsolete and "commercially DIE" as a viable business entity.

Meanwhile, Universities put their graduates ever-more-deeply into debt for credentials as could less-and-less find them gainful employment at all - even at Master's level and PhD.

"Reform" those Marxist-corrupted-useless remnants, prioritizing feel-good political correctness over real-world USEFUL SKILLS?

Mission impossible. Rotten and/or hollowed-out, clear to the bones. Not enough redeeming value left if even it could be done. So why waste a thin dime in the attempt?

Seems it will be easier to simply RE-recognize Vo-ed, apprenticeships, 2 year programs, self-initiative of auto-didacts.. OJT and similar PRACTICAL training to a useful skill-set... go AROUND the airy-fairey Uni's .. and let them adapt. Or not adapt. Just circle-jerk masturbate themselves more blind that they already are. Dehydrate, wither. Ultimately blow away as ashes in a breeze.

POTUS Executive order, this date:

Trump signs executive order to prioritize skills-based hiring | Fox News

IBM is cited?

No s**t, Sherlock?

Personal experience, and plenty of contacts, entry level tech and coders clear to the top - and clear back to the dawn of the 1970's.

IBM were doing this - ranking performance and potential FOR it rather than fancy papers - more than fifty YEARS ago, already!

IBM liked to win even more than they like to "posture".

Not alone, either.

But now - Universities graduating "social diseases", looters and arsonists, not machine-tool operators, coders, planners, and managers?

The long knives are finally out.

Find and build practical team members. Or expect to go TF hungry.

"Are we winning yet?", the "PRACTICAL's" of Manufacturing?

No. Not YET, we are not.

All that still has to become reality, not just a bit of paper.

Swamp parasites will push back. Change won't happen overnight.

But we pragmatists may just now have ceased to LOSE!

I'm good with that. Now grab that opportunity and RUN with it.

Before the tax-raping looter parasites nail the OTHER foot to the very Earth to preserve their useless "elites".

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

College may have been a useful institution when perhaps 5% attended. At this point it's a contrary indicator. The colleges are actively engaging their destruction through SJW policy. At some point, the people who have to get shit done will have no choice but to select for the traits they value and raise 'em up themselves, just like the old days. Apprenticeships have never stopped being a prime path for passing practical knowledge down, but the way things are going, I wouldn't be surprised that some apprenticeships will be more prestigious than a Princeton degree in another decade.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Straightedge View Post
    College may have been a useful institution when perhaps 5% attended. At this point it's a contrary indicator. The colleges are actively engaging their destruction through SJW policy. At some point, the people who have to get shit done will have no choice but to select for the traits they value and raise 'em up themselves, just like the old days. Apprenticeships have never stopped being a prime path for passing practical knowledge down, but the way things are going, I wouldn't be surprised that some apprenticeships will be more prestigious than a Princeton degree in another decade.
    They have already BEEN more useful.

Ever try paying your company's bills with the "prestige" Uni Degrees on the office walls of the high-priced ass-hats on-staff or in US and state "Hoovermint" roles? Those sucking up all money in reach to squander - then borrowing MORE...instead of operationg off earnings from delivered product out from under skilled hands of a competent group of teamworkers, shop floor to CEO?

"As usual" it ain't about whether DJT has a lick of common sense hisself at all. (Though it does seem so..).

It is all about whether he listens to the REST of us who DO have.

This order only makes it a "formal" US Federal Gov recognition of what those struggling to "find good help" have known for ages. Too DAMNED seldom it rolls in under the door riding on a four or more year "degree".

So WTF was left to do?

Cut the last of the legs out from under any and all "Institutions of Higher Learning" (whom TF WAS it as has been sustaining THAT decades-stale lie, anyway?) as have gone long ago looter-lie-bore-all "Politically Correct" out of touch and become nought but expensive, posturing, parasites - nary a useful skill still on the curriculum. "Burn down the system", rather.

Not ALL have, as we know.

It is like de-worming any other domesticated creature. Messy bizness, but unavoidable onct the parasite load starts dictating how the remains of a LIFE are put to use, and for the benefit of WHOM.

Time to build a new replacement that actually WORKS for America. In the most literal sense.

As-in .. WORKS. Not "parasitizes", not votes itself money out of the lean and overly abused pockets of the still-productive, NOT loots and burns-down the livelihood of those honest producers of the wealth they have just stolen.

"Payback.. " can be at it's most effective as a Mother-F**ker when it simply cuts off the flow of "free money" and lets the parasites figure out just how much, after all, of a tore-down stone statue or vandalized police station they can eat, smoke, snort, inject, or listen to on ear-buds.

Assholes claim "gasoline is cheap?" Vote Dumbascraptic for "Bye-then" stuffed dummy, and be damned, then.

See how "cheap" it is when all a Uni degree has boughtcha is a massive lifelong revolving debt load. See how "cheap" it s when yah can't afford yer drugs, games, entertainment, nor food nor shelter, either.

Productive folks will pull back out of harms way, let the shitfest play-out, and still thrive. That ability is how we became identified AS "productive folks".

Always at OUR best. Regardless. No whining. No excuses NEEDED. "Run what yah got!"

And vanishingly less MERCY for vote-themselves-an-income out of OUR pockets looter-cultures, either.

"Payback... is a Mother-starver-ater"

And Darwin's ghost wins another roll of the dice.

Not a lot to do with "Politics". That's just the "Corporate Identity" branding at play, producers vs parasites.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Atlas will be shrugging.

Will it be enough to free Atlas from the looters?

Who is John Galt?

5. Likes MetalCarnage, The Dude, Oldwrench, yoke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am a "minor" corporation- and have been for close to 20 years.
    I hire almost exclusively kids who have graduated from 2 year AA programs in either welding or manufacturing technology.

I find that as the state funded community college system in my State has gotten very good in the last 20 years, their grads get hired very quickly.
    I live near 5 different programs, in everything from autobody to welding to carbon fiber techniques.
    Most industry near me hires these kids preferentially.
    A lot of Boeing subs, boatbuilders, and manufacturing in general in my area have come to know the schools, work hand in hand with the instructors to develop ciricullum that is responsive to the actual workplace needs, and support the programs financially sometimes as well.

7. Likes Trueturning, jkopel, Greg White, Oldwrench liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think the institution is more important than the degree.

My company has hired three degree holders from Missouri S&T in the last year, two mechanical and one chemical graduates.

All three are awesome employees, show up every day and are real team players. They love the work

S&T is a small school, they teach to the student and not to the Woke crowd.

Don't talk,.......do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I guess this means the current potus will be resigning. He is the least skilled, the least capable, and the most incompetent man to ever hold the office, and so is in direct conflict with this new edict.

Oh, let's add least intelligent, most corrupt, and functions like a cranky toddler with a full nappy.

Just your man, Termite...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    I guess this means the current potus will be resigning. He is the least skilled, the least capable, and the most incompetent man to ever hold the office, and so is in direct conflict with this new edict.

Oh, let's add least intelligent, most corrupt, and functions like a cranky toddler with a full nappy.

Never thought you would post such a wishy washy post. Please say what you think.

11. Likes BLAZINGFIEND420, old_dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffy887 View Post
    Never thought you would post such a wishy washy post. Please say what you think.
    I'm trying to be nice. What I really think would melt any computer on the network, and perhaps even short out the national electrical distribution system...

13. Likes Greg White liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Now there's a laugher. Trump signs an order to find the very best qualified people for any government job. His daughter, Ivanka, is chosen to head up the effort.

Her experience includes modeling, the diamond business, reality TV, and having others' fashion designs copied in China and sold under her own brand. She graduated a couple levels down with a business BA (cum laude, rather than magna cum laude or summa cum laude) so it's a good thing we're not counting that.

Jared was apparently too busy begging around the world for loans to prop up the family real estate business, negotiating peace and real estate deals in the Middle East, solving the opioid crisis, dealing with Mexico, being point man for China, improving Veteran health care, reforming criminal justice, and reinventing government so it doesn't screw up stuff like the CoViD pandemic. Man's doing a helluva job, too, and I mean that in the how could those things be any further screwed up way.

Meanwhile we have the most corrupt and incompetent Cabinet in recent history; apparently specially handpicked for their "experience" screwing citizens and/or as Fox News commentators. Large numbers have left, either as criminals or shaking their heads at what an idiot their boss is.

15. Likes Greg White, SIP6A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post

In a Representative Constitutional Republic, the REPRESENTATIVES elected to office are NOT SUPPOSED TO CARRY THEIR OWN AGENDA.

Perhaps you missed that point, Did you skip civics class in high school?

Or maybe you are looking for an authoritarian? You need not look far, There are lots of opportunities south of Mexico for you.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteM View Post
    Now there's a laugher. Trump signs an order to find the very best qualified people for any government job. His daughter, Ivanka, is chosen to head up the effort.

Her experience includes modeling, the diamond business, reality TV, and having others' fashion designs copied in China and sold under her own brand. She graduated a couple levels down with a business BA (cum laude, rather than magna cum laude or summa cum laude) so it's a good thing we're not counting that.

Jared was apparently too busy begging around the world for loans to prop up the family real estate business. Meanwhile we have the most corrupt and incompetent Cabinet in recent history for their "experience" screwing citizens and/or as Fox News commentators.
    Now that right there is funny.
    You prefer Biden and his son Hunter?

18. Likes CalG, Trueturning, SND, DrHook, jmp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by eaglemike View Post

I'd prefer a cigar store Indian to what we have now.

Biden isn't/wasn't close to the top of my wish list.

But I have seen large companies, whose CEO turned out to be a disaster, do OK with a reasonably honorable "place keeper" succeed that disaster. Let's the next guy (or gal) after them maybe restore the enterprise.

I don't have huge expectations for the next four years. I'd be happy if we just restored a bit of honor, had a few less crooks in government, had less hidden money in politics (Bullock's proposal for disclosure), and had a still-divided Congress that managed to do a few no-brainer things like actually invest in infrastructure and deal with some of the companies skimming money out of the economy without adding any value.

20. Likes CalG, JST, Greg White, Hightemp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by eaglemike View Post

Hmm, a doddering old man who's reasonably honest. And his "Repub one-note" son.

Or...

A national malignancy like djt. And his literal crime family and Capos in the Cabinet.

Decisions, decisions...

22. Likes Greg White liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ries View Post
    I am a "minor" corporation- and have been for close to 20 years.
    I hire almost exclusively kids who have graduated from 2 year AA programs in either welding or manufacturing technology.

I find that as the state funded community college system in my State has gotten very good in the last 20 years, their grads get hired very quickly.
    I live near 5 different programs, in everything from autobody to welding to carbon fiber techniques.
    Most industry near me hires these kids preferentially.
    A lot of Boeing subs, boatbuilders, and manufacturing in general in my area have come to know the schools, work hand in hand with the instructors to develop ciricullum that is responsive to the actual workplace needs, and support the programs financially sometimes as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderjet View Post
    I think the institution is more important than the degree.

My company has hired three degree holders from Missouri S&T in the last year, two mechanical and one chemical graduates.

All three are awesome employees, show up every day and are real team players. They love the work

S&T is a small school, they teach to the student and not to the Woke crowd.

Don't talk,.......do.
    Similar experience, here. Veterans, Veterans taking "night courses", HS grads not able to go full-time, but trying to get a 2 yr degree.. also taking evening classes.

IOW.. people who knew they needed to keep on learning in order to grow.

Virginia... "is a University" as one wag put it ages ago when we had so many, all shapes and sizes, but most of them SMALL - relative to our population.

No shortage, "NOVA" area.

IF.. the institution has lean resources, no massive endowments? They pretty well HAVE to pay attention to what potential employers NEED.. so they can guide students to what they came in the door seeking. Not so much the bit of paper.

A better chance than average at moving into a good fit to a career. One they actually like, want - are, good at, will get even better at. And are decently PAID for.

IF they grow faster than the business unit I am managing is growing? Find they have to go elsewhere to exercise their own next, better, level?

I always HELPED them do that. We had generated another friend, not an enemy in the networks of mankind.

The next bright, "newbie" go-getter came in the other door.

All hands were happier for the healthy dynamic with minimal boring stagnation.

Win-Win.. and yet?

I usually had the LOWEST turnover in a large firm, not the highest.

Folks were entering and leaving a healthy team for good reasons, had worked well together as a team while there.

Key point? What they went on to was very very rarely in the same field. Nearly all shifted to another focus. Did not go to work in the same field for a competitor.

Other departments or divisions were losing folks for NOT so good reasons, carrying-on the marginal environment as they sucked warm bodies in the "other door", taking high turnover for granted as the nature of the industry.

THOSE were the karrusels "training up staff for their own competition". Thereby making it harder each cycle to hit their OWN targets.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Trump has all the charm of a syphilitic dictator. No surprise that he wants less educated people because highly educated people tend NOT to be on the right, or agree with him. The right favors rock solid loyalty over intelligence/education. Trump congratulated Florida governor for doing a great job containing CV19 and opening up their economy early. Yup, but Florida reported 9500+ cases yesterday. DeSantis is not so smart after all. Mitch the chinless wonder takes billions of Fed $ for Kentucky. And Kentucky placed 47 out of 50, one of the least educated states in the US. Just like he wants them.
    Trump is Putin's useful idiot.

25. Likes Greg White, Big B, metlmunchr, SIP6A liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffy887 View Post
    Trump has all the charm of a syphilitic dictator. No surprise that he wants less educated people because highly educated people tend NOT to be on the right, or agree with him. The right favors rock solid loyalty over intelligence/education. Trump congratulated Florida governor for doing a great job containing CV19 and opening up their economy early. Yup, but Florida reported 9500+ cases yesterday. DeSantis is not so smart after all. Mitch the chinless wonder takes billions of Fed $ for Kentucky. And Kentucky placed 47 out of 50, one of the least educated states in the US. Just like he wants them.
    Trump is Putin's useful idiot.
    Well... as long as a pandemic of "TDS" keeps useless f**kwits OUT PLAYING IN TRAFFIC whilst folk who want to just succeed in life get on with so doing and can team-up with like-minded and PRODUCTIVE others?

"keeps the horseflies off MY watermelon", and easily as effectively as any other means.

The man is a least a f**king GENIUS as to being very effective BAIT for leading useless vermin onto the circular journey up their OWN ASS, ain't he?

I'm good for four more years of that wonderful blessing...

You got yer head past the "event horizon" of yer own darkest arsehole?

Go right ahead. Dive the rest of the way in!

Then pull the hole in after you.

"Green New Squeal" goal.. for a cleaner greener environment.

Meawhile back at the workface?

Even the Biden-Pelosi-Schumer-Schiff-Nadler-Newsom fanboy anal receptives have more interest in hiring and keeping good help than chasing DJT's turds.

Might that be so they can pay their bills and keep eating reg'lar like?

You so dedicated 'coz you were planning to EAT off the largesse of Trump turd instead?

"TDS" is is a right bitch the bastard played Santa Claus, sneakin' down yer Dumbasscraptic chimblys, whilst you were stoned. most likely... and slippin' a greased frag grenade that deeply into yer ass yah can't even shit it back out!

Damn if he didn't do yah dirty!

You expect to spend the rest of yer miserable life blaming "others"? All the while wondering if that "TDS grenade" is on a time-delay fuse, or is a hate-powered "active seeker" slowly lunching its way toward yer volunteer-gullible remains of a brain?

Have at it. With used-only-once ranch dressing and second-hand paranoia, even.

Sure as Hell I won't be blocking yer asskiss to it!

Literally "got other shit to do!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CalG View Post
    In a Representative Constitutional Republic, the REPRESENTATIVES elected to office are NOT SUPPOSED TO CARRY THEIR OWN AGENDA.

Perhaps you missed that point, Did you skip civics class in high school?

Or maybe you are looking for an authoritarian? You need not look far, There are lots of opportunities south of Mexico for you.
    Authoritarian? We got our own ignorant dictator in training. Our own "Dear Leader". Apparently you have not noticed.

And he is carrying his own agenda to an extreme, with a bunch of unqualified folks in the cabinet who do not even bother to pretend that they are carrying out the will of the people. They make it quite clear that they are in there to stuff their own pockets with as much as they can grab.

They are busy screwing the very same people who put them in office. And those who (just barely, by a quirk of government) put him/them in office do not even see that they are being systematically screwed, screwed in a way that they may never recover from.

With that crowd looting and burning the US government, it is no surprise what is happening out in the streets. If the same folks get re-elected, it's basically all over, what you have seen already will be nothing. Barr will walk over to the vault, haul out the actual Constitution, burn it on the capitol steps, then declare that the existence of a Constitution is "fake news", only "hearsay", so he can do whatever he wants.

The problem is that if they do NOT get re-elected the skinheads will be the ones looting. burning and bombing in the streets. They are good at that, and I would expect there would be an insurrection that needs to be put down.

A place-holder president sounds good to me. Let some of the old folks who voted for our "Dear Leader" die off before the next election, and maybe this crap won't happen again.

We had a lousy choice last time, between two crooks who were both fairly nasty individuals. One did at least have experience in government, but the results would have been highly questionable even if the election had gone the other way.

We do seem to have avoided Bernie.... which is good. That would be a disaster also, just the other direction.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JST View Post
    Authoritarian? We got our own ignorant dictator in training. Our own "Dear Leader".

And he is carrying his own agenda to an extreme, with a bunch if unqualified folks in the cabinet who do not even bother to pretend that they are carrying out the will of the people. They make it quite clear that they are in there to stuff their own pockets with as much as they can grab.

They are busy screwing the very same people who put them in office. And those who put him/them in office do not even see that they are being systematically screwed, screwed in a way that they may never recover from.

With that crowd looting and burning the US government, it is no surprise what is happening out in the streets. If the same folks get re-elected, it's basically all over, what you have seen already will be nothing. Barr will walk over to the vault, haul out the actual Constitution, and burn it on the capitol steps.

The problem is that if they do NOT get re-elected the skinheads will be the ones looting. burning and bombing in the streets.

A place-holder president sounds good to me. Let some of the old folks who voted for our "Dear Leader" die off, and maybe it won't happen again.

At least we seem to have avoided Bernie.... That would have been a disaster also.
    And the most lovely thing about it?

You poor self-injected fools and YOUR MOB looting and burning INSIDE the government for far longer years than you been looting and burning in the streets have it exactly bass-ackwards.

Barr has set the bloodhounds to their tasks. Yer corrupt traitors to the Constitution, Laws, country and citizenry were ALREADY outted by their very own hand. The good records kept to write "their book" off of... and now their hidden helpers are being hunted down as well?

Most of you were so far gone, even before "TDS" arrived to insure you self-ID'ed, yah could no longer even understand if yah lived to age 120 how that came about.

Nor why you've screwed yerselves into moral, intellectual, and economic poverty with hardly ANY assistance nor need of it from any other "side" at all. Amoral greed was all yah needed

And then.. there still exists the productive minority... who can rebuild an economy, CAN stand putting it back into disaster mode deep-freeze for a whole lot longer than just four to eight years of Biden-robot & degraded follow-on.

Can and WILL outlast their parasites through a grand economic die-off, even if rebuild day is delayed.

WTH? You'll be handing it over to the Chinese with Joe? For that lot, it is only the first 500 years of waiting as are HARD!

"Tactics of Mistake", lunchmeat.

Working folks. With a brain. Not "skinheads"

No way you air heads and shit-for-brains looters can win at any game when the more competent of the opponents controls the very board - and the playing tokens you cannot even SEE.

All yah can do is run amuck out in plain view ATOP the board chasing the mechanical rabbit and playing treason-for-fun, public grab-ass, burn a cruiser, loot a store, black-on-black murder, wave rainbow feathers outcher ass for the cameras.

All the while the real game goes on in some other venue altogether.

Second thought, believe I'd rather roast a cut of Sirloin and get out the Case Old Forge high carbon steel to slice it nicely.

Too damned much in the way of artificial ingredients and chemical contaminants in "lunchmeat" these days.

Chinese ownership thing. Smithfield and not only.

If yah had not been paying attention. But then you hadn't been, had you?

And y'all want MORE of that? Just because DJT wears tight shoes and walks funny?

Sic 'em!

Dummy!

No damn WONDER yah have a hard time finding good team players to employ!

Or become!
    Last edited by thermite; 06-28-2020 at 02:31 PM.

29. Likes cg285 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Those of us that can think for themselves can see what is happening. There are too many spineless repubs in office that think he is their man. Manchurian Candidate. His entire focus since getting elected is getting re elected. Racist sociopath bully. His ego does not match his ability. I do not remember any past high office official criticizing a current president. Trump has a slew of them criticizing him. He appoints grifter Jared to do what? Jared is one of the failures that meet his new criteria.
    Trump only cares about wearing the hat and could give a crap about anybody else, or doing the job. Please understand the word sociopath. US people are not welcome to travel because the US does not have a handle on CV19. Trump does not want to control it.
    He was asked what he was going to do if re elected on Fox Noise. He rambled on like a fool and complimented himself and said little else.

31. Likes Greg White liked this post