Pragmatism in hiring going "official", now? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 61
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    31,316
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    9827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scruffy887 View Post
    Those of us that can think for themselves
    Sure as shit took yerself off THAT list in the next dam' sentence, didn' yah?

    Next time you go to hire help you need, next time you present yerself to an employer as the help THEY mght need, next time you go to place an order, pay an invoice, raise an invoice to an existing customer, or try to line-up a NEW customer?

    Tell 'em

    Straight up:


    I'm so wound up with "TDS" HATING-ON a fuckin' President who seems to know HIS job when my favorite Political ENTERTAINERS WISHES he did NOT.. that I am no longer worth a flying F**K at doing MY DAM' job!

    Didn't "think for yourself" or the breakfast in yer own messkit in any way at all, didja?

    Too busy trying to prove yer credentials on the internet as "always blame some OTHER guy, further away from the tool-tip the BETTER" fanboy whiner!

    DJT ain't got SQRT-FA to do with what goes on under MY roof.

    But I surely do EAT well, July's bills arredy paid before the month has yet started.

    Your head is somewhere else?

    I hope you love it there, because it may have to remain there for longer than was in yer plan.

    "for yourself" if ever you even HAD a plan to call yer very own..

    AND NOT some OTHER published Idjut's third-hand recycled brain FARTS.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Flushing/Flint, Michigan
    Posts
    8,777
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    470
    Likes (Received)
    7211

    Default

    One can sign executive orders all day long.
    Will not matter.
    Those in charge of hiring have the degrees, any less will be looked down on as peons and peasants.
    No way in hell I try to defend the system but it is the reality.
    If looking for a tool or process engineer job a kid fresh out of school with a ME will get hired way before me.
    That is the way it works and fine.
    A part of this is the software world where I find the our member thermite a bit wonky in some but certifiably no slouch.

    I just do not think this "new" helps in any way.
    Bob

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    31,316
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    9827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    One can sign executive orders all day long.
    Will not matter.
    Those in charge of hiring have the degrees, any less will be looked down on as peons and peasants.

    Oh really? That elitist tick-all-the right-boxes risk-averse "Professional HR" bullshit started falling on its nose when the competition more focused on RESULTS rendered yer whole dam' COMPANY into a dog's breakfast.

    College drop outs. Ever wonder WHY?

    Simple enough. Too worldly-wise, early-on to waste four regimented years on some OTHER fool's idea of a "curriculum" ... when yah could learn the 10 or 20-percent yah actually had a commercial USE for RIGHT NOW in a few WEEKS, if not days or even intense as it gets HOURS. And then remain active forever-after at topping that up with 20% and more from a DOZEN other colleges and universities ... or just "stack privileges" to some immense libraries.. and in as many diversified fields as now or next month's needs TAKE yer interest. Or as often simply 'coz it was FUN to add to the arsenal for "come what may".

    Four years of college means you are a PATIENT f****r, if not also dull as an electric blanket. Learnt by 1966 to forgive that sad handicap only on the hard evidence the wearer of it had not let it become a fatal liability to learning and growing GOING FORWARD..

    So as to deal with all the EVER CHANGING s**t the "real world" throws in yer face every dam' day of every week.

    Collitch degree holder ain't necessarily SMART, let alone of any actual USE in the heat of a commercial OR blood-and boolits WAR amongst the faster-movers of this world.

    Yah don't HAVE to be any sort of a "genius" to make this work better for all-hands than NOT.

    Hardest part is the same bar for the Manager or Commander as he will set for his collected team.

    Simply giving a great deal more of a damn than the next guy, knowing WHICH "homework" actually matters on the day, doing it fast and well... and not admitting of "cannot be done" as any sort of barrier to a reasonable goal. Or sometimes not so reasonable.

    B***dy AMAZING how easy it is for fired-up and clear as day goal-oriented alleged "second raters" to whomp-up on a culture as cripples their own complacent chair-warming asses ...off the back of box-tick arrogant "certificates" and "recognized superiority".

    But last week's news if-even that recent.

    Not tomorrow morning, early.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,361
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3325
    Likes (Received)
    1810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Well... as long as a pandemic of "TDS" keeps useless f**kwits OUT PLAYING IN TRAFFIC whilst folk who want to just succeed in life get on with so doing and can team-up with like-minded and PRODUCTIVE others?

    "keeps the horseflies off MY watermelon", and easily as effectively as any other means.

    The man is a least a f**king GENIUS as to being very effective BAIT for leading useless vermin onto the circular journey up their OWN ASS, ain't he?

    I'm good for four more years of that wonderful blessing...

    You got yer head past the "event horizon" of yer own darkest arsehole?

    Go right ahead. Dive the rest of the way in!

    Then pull the hole in after you.

    "Green New Squeal" goal.. for a cleaner greener environment.

    Meawhile back at the workface?

    Even the Biden-Pelosi-Schumer-Schiff-Nadler-Newsom fanboy anal receptives have more interest in hiring and keeping good help than chasing DJT's turds.

    Might that be so they can pay their bills and keep eating reg'lar like?

    You so dedicated 'coz you were planning to EAT off the largesse of Trump turd instead?

    "TDS" is is a right bitch the bastard played Santa Claus, sneakin' down yer Dumbasscraptic chimblys, whilst you were stoned. most likely... and slippin' a greased frag grenade that deeply into yer ass yah can't even shit it back out!

    Damn if he didn't do yah dirty!

    You expect to spend the rest of yer miserable life blaming "others"? All the while wondering if that "TDS grenade" is on a time-delay fuse, or is a hate-powered "active seeker" slowly lunching its way toward yer volunteer-gullible remains of a brain?

    Have at it. With used-only-once ranch dressing and second-hand paranoia, even.

    Sure as Hell I won't be blocking yer asskiss to it!

    Literally "got other shit to do!"

    Leave it to thermite, monarchist and whatever else he goes by on here to totally skirt the things that he replied to like the Florida governor opening the state too soon and C19 taking over again. That is what happens when people are so brainwashed that they can't see reality. Thermite is firmly in the trump cult and no amount of evil from trump will convince him otherwise.

    The USA has less than 5% of the worlds population and we have nearly 30% of the Covid deaths worldwide. Yes trump is doing a great job if his job is presiding over a lot of deaths in the USA.

    I honestly wonder who dresses and feeds these foolish morons.

  5. Likes Milland liked this post
  6. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    31,316
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    9827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post
    I honestly wonder who dresses and feeds these foolish morons.
    Finally! A challenge we can actually HELP RESOLVE!

    Thanks for that! We needed a break!

    Now get off yer lazy blame-game ass and go buy yerself a MIRROR for the bedroom closet door...

    So the ANSWER to your question is looking you right in the eye "in real time" WHILE you dress that moron looking back at you.

    DJT signs an Executove Order doing not a DAMNED thing more than confirming what MOST Hiring decision makers have known for easily half a century.

    - A(ny) college degree ain't worth a DAMN if the person CARRYING it ain't worth a DAMN. US Gov has just been "formally" instructed to cease treating the paper as a substitute for the reality.

    - A(ny) source of genuine learning that actually fits the need has earned comparable credibity to those results it has delivered. Never mind "prestige of ivy league".

    Sounds like long-overdue common sense in hiring to me?

    Seems it is just one more opportunity to AGAIN confirm to the world just how f**ed-up with "TDS" hatred-instead-of-productivity you are carrying on Your back?

    .. even on the very high probability it was DJT's signature but ... some other staff member or more likely yet, industry association or advisory body chronically longer on fancy degrees and shorter on competent staff.... as told him it was overdue.

    Have at it.

    So long as "blame-game" pays yer bills better than producing goods or services?

    That makes room for more honest craft folk to earn THEIR crust!

  7. Likes Trueturning, cg285 liked this post
  8. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,361
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3325
    Likes (Received)
    1810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Finally! A challenge we can actually HELP RESOLVE!

    Thanks for that! We needed a break!

    Now get off yer lazy blame-game ass and go buy yerself a MIRROR for the bedroom closet door...

    So the ANSWER to your question is looking you right in the eye "in real time" WHILE you dress that moron looking back at you.

    DJT signs an Executove Order doing not a DAMNED thing more than confirming what MOST Hiring decision makers have known for easily half a century.

    - A(ny) college degree ain't worth a DAMN if the person CARRYING it ain't worth a DAMN. US Gov has just been "formally" instructed to cease treating the paper as a substitute for the reality.

    - A(ny) source of genuine learning that actually fits the need has earned comparable credibity to those results it has delivered. Never mind "prestige of ivy league".

    Sounds like long-overdue common sense in hiring to me?

    Seems it is just one more opportunity to AGAIN confirm to the world just how f**ed-up with "TDS" hatred-instead-of-productivity you are carrying on Your back?

    .. even on the very high probability it was DJT's signature but ... some other staff member or more likely yet, industry association or advisory body chronically longer on fancy degrees and shorter on competent staff.... as told him it was overdue.

    Have at it.

    So long as "blame-game" pays yer bills better than producing goods or services?

    That makes room for more honest craft folk to earn THEIR crust!
    Skirted the entire Covid 19 thing again. I guess you must believe like trump does that if we stop testing and ignore the virus it will go away. And it will sooner or later, we just don't know how many more hundreds of thousands or millions of lives it will take with it.

    As to trump just signing things, do you mean like firing a NY prosecutor who was investigating him? Very authoritarian, just like a dictator would do. But it's your fantasy and you probably won't be around long enough to see the real carnage that trump is bringing beyond the covid deaths.

  9. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    1,401
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1380
    Likes (Received)
    281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scruffy887 View Post
    Those of us that can think for themselves can see what is happening. There are too many spineless repubs in office that think he is their man. Manchurian Candidate. His entire focus since getting elected is getting re elected. Racist sociopath bully. His ego does not match his ability. I do not remember any past high office official criticizing a current president. Trump has a slew of them criticizing him. He appoints grifter Jared to do what? Jared is one of the failures that meet his new criteria.
    Trump only cares about wearing the hat and could give a crap about anybody else, or doing the job. Please understand the word sociopath. US people are not welcome to travel because the US does not have a handle on CV19. Trump does not want to control it.
    He was asked what he was going to do if re elected on Fox Noise. He rambled on like a fool and complimented himself and said little else.
    Wow I suppose you are forced to vote Democrat then.

  10. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    31,316
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    9827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trueturning View Post
    Wow I suppose you are forced to vote Democrat then.
    "Forced". F**k NO! "Looterstan" or not-quite-yet, it is still "AMERIKA"

    Given he really could "think for himself"?

    Motor-off to Venezuela could be cheaper.

    Blow-off with 12-bore could be less time in the agony locker.

    There are ALWAYS alternatives, yah?

    I think he SHOULD simply vote Dumbasscraptic!

    SOMEBODY has to take the blame!


  11. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    31,316
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    9827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post
    Skirted the entire Covid 19 thing again. I guess you must believe like trump does that if we stop testing and ignore the virus it will go away. And it will sooner or later, we just don't know how many more hundreds of thousands or millions of lives it will take with it.

    As to trump just signing things, do you mean like firing a NY prosecutor who was investigating him? Very authoritarian, just like a dictator would do. But it's your fantasy and you probably won't be around long enough to see the real carnage that trump is bringing beyond the covid deaths.
    Hey. You? "S4B". Only in the 76th year, here! 600-plus years of stats say I'm good for another 20. Piss me off, we'll try for 35 and even that will not be a family "record".

    Thread "skirted the entire COVID-19 thing again" for two simple reasons:

    MAIN one being it is all about what sort of "credentials" - or NOT - are genuinely of-value as to useful indicators of the qualification of applicants for JOBS

    That actually MATTERS to folks here as we OFTEN either seek or ARE those job applicants.

    Second reason is that the resident mental-masturbation crowd already have the Trump-hating workoad w/r COVID-19 well-covered in other threads. And it DOES NOT "matter" in any way in the least. Can't influence COVID-19. It is not a PM member. Nor are State Governators. Neither is DJT. Never mind the "n-letter" agencies, more than a few national governments, as store and data-mine ALL this stuff. We all live on-the record, this one glass house of milliards. JFDWT reality.

    Not a joke, either. Time was I was one of the guys working the bid packages for the Federal contracts to DO that s**t. Don't blame DJT, BTW. It STARTED with recording every AM radio broadcast in the country.. because AM radio was all there WAS that far back! The 'puters are bigger, now.

    Off-topic, but be glad the seditious criminals in prosecutorial roles are only being FIRED from their jobs as "bait" to expose and trap MORE of the vermin.

    Any fisherman knows, "bait" has value. Jailing their treasonous asses just costs the taxpayer for the storage. DJT is more frugal than you yet realize with taxpayer's hard earned cash is all.

    Chase them SLOWLY, no need of a trial. They die first off ill-health and more shock than their weak systems can cope with around November 4th of this very year.

    Think I'm joking? Tell me, "sport" Does Nancy Pelosi still look even HALF WAY SANE after having to cope with DJT?

    How many miles d'you figure Schumer still has on HIS transmission?

    Biden? Buried a while ago, already. We MAY even be looking at an android robot.

    Note the 100% absence of any closeup camera shots, distancing from anyone but his handlers, and the mismatch, audio to lip-sync. Confusing of Wife and sister. Whether he ever shagged the both of them or not, a "human" would know the difference even in the dark, placed back of his line of eyeshot, if only by scent.

    Never mind the foolishness of CONTENT mumbled. The damned CGI special effects are badly f**ked when he allegedly "speaks".

    So "andriod", maybe. ELSE he really IS terminally ill, already and being painstakingly prepped ...then propped-up off the back of IV's of this or that.

    If Joe is even still "there" in the protein at all, his carcass is in the same shape his inspiriational hero was in, last few years of HIS run but 20-odd years YOUNGER. Propped up on injections, Weird-Adolph was.

  12. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Seattle, Wa USA
    Posts
    1,575
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    407
    Likes (Received)
    307

    Default

    I am curious Bill, did you go to college?

  13. #31
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    31,316
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    9827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jkopel View Post
    I am curious Bill, did you go to college?
    13 of them. So far. US, UK, Asia, but only in two-and-half languages. US English/UK English, and Mandarin Chinese. Unless I've left out a few? Strung out from the early 1960's over long years.

    Might do another. Mum did one age 65 plus in Petroleum Production Technology, just for the Halibut. And bad TV reception. Also because she owned a lot of common stock in the industry!



    If I can still STAND the ignorant f**kwits as run them long enough to find a few more absolute diamonds on faculty, it could be fun again. I've been truly blessed with a few "legends" on that hunt! "Mentors" more than "Professors".

    BTW . one does not DARE take a "degree", my chosen line of work. Two downsides:

    - "Brands you" and starts you to complacently self-limit as to growth and direction! "Degrees" are a resource you employ. Age 21, onward.

    So you can apply as many as needed, in whatever FIELD is needed, for as long as needed. And change any or all of that as needed.

    Can't "BE" more that three of those all by yerself at a time, and if yah DID do, nobody is left doing the more crucial "Project Management" command, control, and strategy.

    - Gives up the crucial element of surprise yah need to prevail faster with less parasitic drag.

    Only attended ONE of the first 22 as ASKED me to and sent admission certificates.

    Selected the best value-for-money as came with a pre-blessing from the President as to immediate day-zero "stack privileges" to a damned good library. Drop-dead lovely Daughter (genuine all-natural redhead..) wasn't hard to take, either!



    Money was tight at the time. It was not alone!

  14. Likes BLAZINGFIEND420 liked this post
  15. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    873
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1115
    Likes (Received)
    577

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post
    Leave it to thermite, monarchist and whatever else he goes by on here to totally skirt the things that he replied to like the Florida governor opening the state too soon and C19 taking over again. That is what happens when people are so brainwashed that they can't see reality. Thermite is firmly in the trump cult and no amount of evil from trump will convince him otherwise.

    The USA has less than 5% of the worlds population and we have nearly 30% of the Covid deaths worldwide. Yes trump is doing a great job if his job is presiding over a lot of deaths in the USA.

    I honestly wonder who dresses and feeds these foolish morons.
    New York had right around 25 percent of the US deaths as of Friday. With all the mismanagement in NY - you gonna blame Trump for that too?

  16. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Seattle, Wa USA
    Posts
    1,575
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    407
    Likes (Received)
    307

    Default

    13 of them. Unless I've left out a few? Strung out from the early 1960's over long years. You do not DARE take a "degree", my chosen line of work.

    Two downsides:

    - "Brands you" and start you to complacntly self-limit as to growth and direction.

    - Gives up the crucial element of surprise yah need to prevail faster with less parasitic drag.

    Only ONE of the first 22 as ASKED me to, though.

    The best value-for-money as came with a pre-blessing from the President as to immediate day-zero "stack privileges" to a damned good library.

    Money was tight at the time.

    US, UK, Asia, but only in two-and-half languages. US English/UK English, and Mandarin Chinese.
    If I am understanding all that correctly, the answer is "yes"?
    OK, thanks for answering.

  17. Likes Hightemp, Screwmachine liked this post
  18. #34
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,459
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    420
    Likes (Received)
    662

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eaglemike View Post
    New York had right around 25 percent of the US deaths as of Friday. With all the mismanagement in NY - you gonna blame Trump for that too?

    Of course!

    Everything's a blame game......


  19. #35
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    31,316
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    9827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jkopel View Post
    If I am understanding all that correctly, the answer is "yes"?
    OK, thanks for answering.
    Told I have the credits for "many" different bits of walllpaper, if only I'd fill-in with this or that "core curriculum" course(s). I did not, and do not, care to "repeat" those for fees - having learnt them elsewhere to better use.

    Anyway, no need. Earning over the mark for any of the degrees, already, as time went along. Wanted just enough in any given field to be equipped to hire the best by knowing better - and far FASTER - than most, just which ones those WERE. Then manage them fairly and well.

    Off Big Corp teat, modest pension and a LOT more in stock locked-in by age 49, then.... spent another sixteen years not even being eligible for any sort of PROMOTION at all!

    Same exact conundrum as any other Pilgrim here as OWNS his own bizness, however great or humble.

    WTF d'you "promote yourself" TO?

    Mate of mine kept himself titled "Vice President". He was always able to diplomatically slide out of "situations" by saying he needed time to consult with the boss.... who, of course, was never in the office, always traveling until next week, had been delayed yet another week. etc.

    Then came back later, "Sorry, but he had been over-ruled!" Customer would thank him for going to the mat, taking a risk, working so hard to try to sway things the customer's way. Bizness stayed sweet for ages!

    Worked a treat at reducing his time wasted on minor arguments that died right away, too... so... I did-up three different biz cards for myself!

    Consultant

    Director

    Managing Director

    Pay was identical, ate the same meals, shat out of the same arsehole, regardless, so why worry what some other person thought as to rank or "prestige"?

    Handy for some to have a "Purchasing Manager", "Freight Manager", or "Safety Officer" biz card as well?

    "President" of a one-man-band is a modest looking middle-aged guy - WORSE, a "young guy" - company might be piddling.

    But if they have 40-year old on as "Purchasing Manager" or a 25 year-old dedicated to cutting the best tranportation deals? Logical assumption it is a bigger outfit, and surely more than a one man band. So he gets a hearing where they actually listen and open-up to a better menu of options.

    Or just a better deal for fire-extinguishers in modest bulk buy than not.

    "Perceptions" One of the many things amenable to good Management!


  20. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Eastern Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    5,487
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    5200
    Likes (Received)
    5250

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scruffy887 View Post
    Never thought you would post such a wishy washy post. Please say what you think.
    AS IF that was the result of thinking rather than regurgitated MSM propaganda.

    As to the usefulness of a college education that mostly depends on the major. Scientific/technical graduates tend to be more useful to employers than some of the "softer" majors. Way too many of those working in restaurants and grocery stores as there were too many graduates chasing too few jobs in those fields.

    Results vary. Knew two art majors. One ended up becoming a plumber after being enticed into an apprenticeship while futilely seeking a job in his chosen field, while another became director of design for a major publication.

    Even long before the current situation not at all unusual for college grads to end up working in a different field. Knew an EE who ended up in optics and many other such including an ME who wound up in electronics. The degree got a foot in the door and natural talent found the career path.

  21. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Se Ma USA
    Posts
    1,742
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    138
    Likes (Received)
    950

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eaglemike View Post
    New York had right around 25 percent of the US deaths as of Friday. With all the mismanagement in NY - you gonna blame Trump for that too?
    New York shut down and has managed it very well. ALL states got dealt a number of cases well before the fed put out the warning. NY locked down and dealt with what they had and they have a densely packed city. They did a good job. Mass was hard hit. Gov Baker is doing a fine job. States with a lot of international travel got hit hard. Our governor is doing a great job. Some gym decided to open on its own. No police. Just turned their water and electricity off.
    The states that were not data driven are surging now and will face a massive second shutdown.
    Virus does not care or play favorites.

  22. #38
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    873
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1115
    Likes (Received)
    577

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scruffy887 View Post
    New York shut down and has managed it very well. ALL states got dealt a number of cases well before the fed put out the warning. NY locked down and dealt with what they had and they have a densely packed city. They did a good job. Mass was hard hit. Gov Baker is doing a fine job. States with a lot of international travel got hit hard. Our governor is doing a great job. Some gym decided to open on its own. No police. Just turned their water and electricity off.
    The states that were not data driven are surging now and will face a massive second shutdown.
    Virus does not care or play favorites.
    I sorry to say I disagree. Here is one article:
    Coronavirus & New York City: School Shutdown Delays Show Structural Flaws | National Review
    NY school shutdown was delayed.

    I've also seen articles about the handing of the nursing homes. Cuomo had to backtrack on his nursing home policy. NY had far more problems in this area than any other in the US. Yes, there is population density - but there is evidence that the numbers here are not entirely due to density.

    I'm concerned about this for several reasons. Biggest reason is I hate to see people suffer needlessly.

    If there is blame spread, it should start with the Chinese leadership, and the WHO. They both lied for extended time.

    On the original topic - I do believe that hiring on competency is important. If you were hiring for your company, wouldn't competency be more important than paper qualifications?

    I hope you are all safe and well.

  23. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    8,444
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    571
    Likes (Received)
    5966

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eaglemike View Post
    New York had right around 25 percent of the US deaths as of Friday. With all the mismanagement in NY - you gonna blame Trump for that too?

    There's a piece of it that's his -- and it was pointed out on this site three months ago.

    When Trump ordered the US closed to Europeans (Italy was on the rise that was about to become disasterous then), bunches of us noted that we had tens of thousands of US travelers, overseas students, business people etc. coming back to the US from places like scenic Italy. He was still in blame mold. It went for liberal hoax, to Mexicans might have it, to damn dirty Chinese, to damn dirty Europeans.

    Turns out a US Passport wasn't going to protect those thousands of students, tourists, Italian family members, etc. from getting the virus and bringing it back. Much of that returning traffic ended up coming back through the three NY Metro area airports and then meeting up with family. Like the NJ family that lost several. And by all accounts there was virtually no screening (Yah feeling OK? Not that we want to inconvenience you . . .); much less a quarantine entering by plane or ship. Because of earlier Trump administration screwups we also had essentially no testing. The point, three months ago, is that we needed the best possible screening for everyone re-entering the US.

    We didn't get it.

    China was the original source of this misery -- and they covered it up for weeks. They then aggressively hopped on to it and later began a huge PR campaign to make themselves look better. Meanwhile, our own ham-handed handling has made it far worse in mortality, damage to our economy, and the eyes of the world than the country that was ground zero for this.

    Back to the original topic -- seems to me one of the sins of current-day hiring is computer screening of applicants. Got to have the right buzzwords (including college degree, certifications, experience, etc.) so the OCR-read resume makes it to a real human. Then, said human is some HR functionary who likely doesn't know the actual job requirements; especially in technical areas. Note also the rise of all those Web oriented job sites - basically computer-screening applicants. If there's a decent job -- companies want some quick and cheap way to take a stack of 200 (or more) resumes they get emailed to them down to a handful to interview by HR and two or three to move on to an interview with the eventual boss or group.

    This doesn't serve companies all that well, either. They can miss good candidates, unable to get by the computer or HR screenings. But, changing the buzzwords from something like "Harvard MBA" to "interned for Goldman Sachs" isn't going to change that in industry -- or for the equivalent searches in government.

  24. #40
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    1,401
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1380
    Likes (Received)
    281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteM View Post
    There's a piece of it that's his -- and it was pointed out on this site three months ago.

    When Trump ordered the US closed to Europeans (Italy was on the rise that was about to become disasterous then), bunches of us noted that we had tens of thousands of US travelers, overseas students, business people etc. coming back to the US from places like scenic Italy. He was still in blame mold. It went for liberal hoax, to Mexicans might have it, to damn dirty Chinese, to damn dirty Europeans.

    Turns out a US Passport wasn't going to protect those thousands of students, tourists, Italian family members, etc. from getting the virus and bringing it back. Much of that returning traffic ended up coming back through the three NY Metro area airports and then meeting up with family. Like the NJ family that lost several. And by all accounts there was virtually no screening (Yah feeling OK? Not that we want to inconvenience you . . .); much less a quarantine entering by plane or ship. Because of earlier Trump administration screwups we also had essentially no testing. The point, three months ago, is that we needed the best possible screening for everyone re-entering the US.

    We didn't get it.

    China was the original source of this misery -- and they covered it up for weeks. They then aggressively hopped on to it and later began a huge PR campaign to make themselves look better. Meanwhile, our own ham-handed handling has made it far worse in mortality, damage to our economy, and the eyes of the world than the country that was ground zero for this.

    Back to the original topic -- seems to me one of the sins of current-day hiring is computer screening of applicants. Got to have the right buzzwords (including college degree, certifications, experience, etc.) so the OCR-read resume makes it to a real human. Then, said human is some HR functionary who likely doesn't know the actual job requirements; especially in technical areas. Note also the rise of all those Web oriented job sites - basically computer-screening applicants. If there's a decent job -- companies want some quick and cheap way to take a stack of 200 (or more) resumes they get emailed to them down to a handful to interview by HR and two or three to move on to an interview with the eventual boss or group.

    This doesn't serve companies all that well, either. They can miss good candidates, unable to get by the computer or HR screenings. But, changing the buzzwords from something like "Harvard MBA" to "interned for Goldman Sachs" isn't going to change that in industry -- or for the equivalent searches in government.
    “ Back to the original topic -- seems to me one of the sins of current-day hiring is computer screening of applicants. ”

    Agree with this point. It really is a big miss. Their intent I guess is to sell better services. What is your view on that? Your background with Ford didn’t you have a good inside track to get in? What kind of degree did you have when they dressed you up in required boors, safety glass, pens, pencils and pocket protectors.

    It does not make any sense that a person with a time spent learning machining was your forte. Maybe a engineer?


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •