What's new
What's new

Problem with Hewlett Packard printer

Diamond
I have had three HP printers and all had the same problem from time to time. This time, it had a paper jam and when I cleared it, it went into a mode where it prints one line of symbols and ejects the page, repeating on the next one. Usually leaving it off for a while cures but this time I left it overnight with no result. Does anyone have a cure?

Bill

Not directly related, but the HP I have now sucks anytime I need to change ink cartridges. It says the alignment procedure is 'optional', but it won't run until I do it. AND sometimes the alignment doesn't even work and it just sort of freezes up. I would seriously look at replacing it if I was you, but that's just my opinion. I

I'm thinking of replacing mine when the refill ink cartridges I have are all gone... :skep:

I think you can buy a new printer cheaper than the cost of a Latte at Starbucks, but I do agree, those HP printers do some strange things.

Stuart

Hp still makes good printers- but you need to buy the expensive business grade machines. Inkjet is crazy expensive for ink. I bought a refurb CP1518ni Color laserjet on Amazon for about $150 (refurb sold by DN Printer Solutions). This comes with no cartridges so I bought a set of 4 Greensky compatible for $30 or 40 (sure beats $200 from HP).

I have bee happy with the results. Note- after you install the carts, if you need to move the printer, take the carts out before moving.

I replaced HP with an Epson Tank printer. No more ink cartridges. The ink is in 4 tanks that you can refill on site. The printer comes with enough ink to print 10,000 pages - UMMV. It is more expensive up front but seems to be a good trade-off.

Bob
WB8NQW

Sounds stupid, but this is HP's official Print and Scan Doctor software. Easy to use, and it fixes most common problems that I've seen. I just used it last week on my computer at home.

I'd say give it a try.

Official HP Print and Scan Doctor for Windows | Free Download hppsdr.exe

Unfortunately my computer can't use this program because I am running Windows 2000. I started with it when it was new and it is very stable compared to ones like Windows 98 which was available then. 2000 doe everything I want, so I never had the need to replace it.

My printer has finally decided to start working again. The main reason I use it is that the ink jets do not clog when it is idle. I have an Epson that makes beautiful color pictures, but if I don't use it every few days, the jets clog and I have to go through a long battle to get them working again.

No doubt the printer will go into that weird mode again and I still don't have a cure for the problem.

Bill

Sometimes powering down the printer does not clear the print queue.... Try disconnecting the power next time for several minutes.

If it is the kind that doesn't fully turn off unplug it and let it sit for at least 30 minutes. The ones with a rocker switch turn off fully while the others go into a sleep mode.

Also, if it runs under Windoze sometimes the print queue gets buggered and a reboot of the computer is needed.

It isn't just HP printers that have these issues as Windows has become more of a patchwork quilt with each new OS "upgrade".

I disconnected the power for a day and later tried it with the computer cable aslo disconnected. The printer with only power, no computer, did the same thing. My first HP laser printer with an early Widows did the same thing. Leaving it unplugged long enough usually fixed it, but there should be a simple procedure. HP people just stonwall about it, like I am the only one who had the problem.

Bill

I can fix it.

Buy BROTHER!! :D

Agreed. I have a Brother MFC 7840W that is now ten years old. Cartridges and drums arre very inexpensive on eBay and it's still running fine.

My brother also bought one after his HP printer started smoking.

Brother has an excellent support website with all of the setup software downloads and troubleshooting information.

I disconnected the power for a day and later tried it with the computer cable aslo disconnected. The printer with only power, no computer, did the same thing. My first HP laser printer with an early Widows did the same thing. Leaving it unplugged long enough usually fixed it, but there should be a simple procedure. HP people just stonwall about it, like I am the only one who had the problem.

Bill

If it's a Windows problem just disconnecting the cable won't do it. You need a full reboot (hard boot) of the system to clear out residual crap that results when printers or other drivers hang.

Most printers also have a system reset that may involve pressing several buttons simultaneously. Some printers have a reset in the main menu.

Solved: How to do a full factory reset - HP Support Community - 6036673

Sometimes you have to delete the printing assignments.
Settings. > Devices.> printers > Click on that printer > choose each assignment > and delete each often one at a time if not seeing a delete all.
I just did that today on an HP that was not working..It printed half a page and ran out of ink..So I colored the text a reddish gren and it printed Ok...so yes, ordered new ink..
Next printer likely not an HP .

OT:
I would like to fudge up a printer to prind on a sheet of wood...

Back