What's new
What's new

Professional Machine Service

LilMachinist

Plastic
*no pictures here but check out my website which showcases few of the parts which I have started documented over the last couple weeks*

Hey Guys,

I'm new to this forum as a member but it's one of my favorite places to read up on things that not only just interest me but also sometimes answer questions that I might have but anyways. I'm 20 years old and have been working in this industry for about 5 years now and in that short time I would say my thought process has formed around manufacturing and business.

I spent the summer working at top tier machine shop.I was running two Mazak variaxis i-700 mills along with a smaller 3-axis and I had the opportunity to setup and machine all literally all sorts of out of the world high tolerance/exotic material parts, bearing retainers/housings for F35 Pratt&Whitney engines, parts for General Electric, just to give you the idea.

While that is beyond interesting for me I have the opportunity to make it happen for myself and im going after it, I started and am back with my grandfather who went from electrical engineer to job shop owner because of life circumstances and opportunity. Just the two of us are comfortable in work load but we're looking to form more industry wide connections. Before I was told that we lacked online presence so I made a website called MillandTurn.com ,check it out and let me know. we do alot of things but we're trying to do more and make it happen.

I would be grateful for any constructive criticism maybe some tips, but mostly for some leads;)

Edit: if this isn't the right place for this thread I would be glad if a moderator could move it accordingly

The short text I read had a misspelled word and terrible sentence structure.

"short" is that part of the criticism? because I think its thorough, heartfelt, to the point, nobody wants to read text these days they just want to send a print and get their quote. A website at least for me is about having an online presence, I'm not relying on it to make a profit but if it would catch the attention of one customer it would be worthwhile. Can you elaborate on the terrible sentence structure? point out the misspelled word? maybe i can take a look at your website as a reference?

"short" is that part of the criticism? because I think its thorough, heartfelt, to the point, nobody wants to read text these days they just want to send a print and get their quote. Can you elaborate on the terrible sentence structure? point out the misspelled word? maybe i can take a look at your website as a reference?
You asked, you were told.

and you complain ?

Spammer.

Well, I asked for constructive criticism and it would be one thing if any point he made was blatant, but I've been looking and i still cant find a spelling error?

I think there is a difference between pointing out a shortcoming to help the person improve and just being a douche.

I didn't expect this sort of negativity right off the bat from this forum but I guess I was wrong.

BTW do you know the definition of spammer? I'm just trying to make conversation but by your own standard you should probably file yourself in that same category because you quite literally brought nothing to the table.

Somebody needs a participation trophy. I am not wasting my time looking at it again. I remember one sentence had "and" it 4 or so times. The text on the site makes it seem English is not the person's primary language.

See that's a step in the right direction, thank you for the constructive criticism.

I used "and" more than I should have because I'm trying to fit keywords that will boost the site in Google rankings, this was done late last night and it is not perfect.

Good things take time, 100% of people will improve on an initial effort in their revision stage.

Lose the squiggly background, it's distracting and looks terrible. Your gallery header has a missing word in it. Lose the tildes as separators between the text and the images. The parts and the pictures of them are actually pretty good, if sometimes a bit dark.

If you're paying for a domain name, setup a business email at that domain instead of a gmail (at least gmail is better than @aol.com)

Why are you even saying anything? @Dualkit actually pointed something out the really did need to be taken care of, but you? I have a feeling that this toxic attitude of yours is probably reflective in many aspects of your life. I think its time for you to stop digging a deeper hole:)

I was kind of going for a retro look since I just like how websites looked from like 20 years ago, but you're right its definitely worth a shot.

The pictures I've been taking with my cellphone so yeah quality has room for improvement, but that along with setting up a business email would be the next steps

as for gmail being better that @aol.com, that was our email less than a year ago:o

All good input, I really do appreciate it.

*no pictures here but check out my website which showcases few of the parts which I have started documented over the last couple weeks*

Hey Guys,

I'm new to this forum as a member but it's one of my favorite places to read up on things that not only just interest me but also sometimes answer questions that I might have but anyways. I'm 20 years old and have been working in this industry for about 5 years now and in that short time I would say my thought process has formed around manufacturing and business.

I spent the summer working at top tier machine shop.I was running two Mazak variaxis i-700 mills along with a smaller 3-axis and I had the opportunity to setup and machine all literally all sorts of out of the world high tolerance/exotic material parts, bearing retainers/housings for F35 Pratt&Whitney engines, parts for General Electric, just to give you the idea.

While that is beyond interesting for me I have the opportunity to make it happen for myself and im going after it, I started and am back with my grandfather who went from electrical engineer to job shop owner because of life circumstances and opportunity. Just the two of us are comfortable in work load but we're looking to form more industry wide connections. Before I was told that we lacked online presence so I made a website called MillandTurn.com ,check it out and let me know. we do alot of things but we're trying to do more and make it happen.

I would be grateful for any constructive criticism maybe some tips, but mostly for some leads;)

Edit: if this isn't the right place for this thread I would be glad if a moderator could move it accordingly

Congratulations! Some quick thoughts (no certain order):

* Consider modifying "Professional Machine Service" To "CNC Machining Service" or some other thing. I clicked on the topic thinking I was going to learn about a machine tool service company.

* Consider replacing "blueprints and projects quoted ASAP." You choose the words, but ASAP doesn't mean anything of value. Do you accept IGS or STP files?

* Scan for capitalization issues. Ex: "Contact Us" vs "Contact us."

* Fix the address to include the number before the street name, "St" instead of "st" and have United States of America on the same line.

* Consider a company email address matching your domain name rather than Gmail.

* Correct line spacing issue on Home Page and consider modifying page order so Home is the first one on the left.

*Consider adding a blog page. A blog will have your website being updated every time you post and will help SEO activity. In that regard, you should have very low expectations. It will take FOREVER for Google to find your site and for any meaningful traffic to come from search engines. You can use social media pages to get your site out there. Also, Google Analytics and Google Search Console are two free services from Google that are very useful. You should use them both, but don't spend too much time.

Those are some quick things. Play with it and make improvements as you find things.

Congrats again and best of luck!

I thought the site looked ok, agree with most of jobs remarks above.

As for the English, since you've got an entrepreneurial streak, this will matter. As a business person, your main task isn't making parts, its communicating. It matters because you can have the best site on the planet, but as soon as you respond to a inquiry, the notion of professionalism will unravel if the writing isn't good. Stop with the run on sentences. Get rid of superfluous words. Start with simple succinct sentences that minimizes the number of words.

There's a business writing exercise where you're given some passage and the instructor says "ok, now rewrite it in half the worlds". Then they make you do it again, and yet again. It can be very challenging, but it makes you a better writer. Try doing so with that post.

Not that I'm gods gift, and its straying from what you asked. However if you took the criticism as well meaning, and worked on business writing (lots of online places to get ideas from) it would, in my opinion, provide long term dividends greater than any particular web site

Last edited:
Lose the squiggly background, it's distracting and looks terrible. Your gallery header has a missing word in it. Lose the tildes as separators between the text and the images. The parts and the pictures of them are actually pretty good, if sometimes a bit dark.

If you're paying for a domain name, setup a business email at that domain instead of a gmail (at least gmail is better than @aol.com)

While I'm sure that a well written site is good, I wouldn't get too tunnel vissioned on worrying about email responces.
Anyone that's been out there very long should know that most engineers suck at the written language. (there is a LOT worster than me for sure!)
Those that can pick your mistakes apart without trying - likely can't doo your job either.

But that's me....
And I know that there are spelling errors in there, and I'm OK with that.
I git sick of constantly chasing that shtuff....

However - one item that I can caution y'all on is that G-mail rejects zip files. Not that we use them today like we did 10 yrs ago, but it is still a tool for large files.

--------------------

Neil Peart gone at 67

Manhatten Project

websites lend credibility to your business only as far as they are credible to the person looking . . . understanding that you are 20 and spent 5 years in a machine shop and probably didn't spend as much time or pay as much attention in English class as perhaps you should have . . . find someone who did pay attention in English and pay them to edit your website.

Grammar / sentence structure / word choice in the website are that of someone not skilled in the English language. I get e-mails from China with similar or better sentence structure.

e.g.
We've been serving the Northeast and Pioneer Valley for over a decade now and continue to adapt so we can exceeded industry customer demands.

The page background looks like it belongs to a virus research company.

Obvious things don't need a header . . . ditch the word "address" above your address.

What is bracketing? Making brackets? What kind of brackets? My cousin Cletus makes brackets with a hacksaw and a welder.

Photos show decent work - but photos of parts would benefit from better lighting and a more professional background. Do you have a clean granite surface plate that you could display them on?

Overall, the site lacks a professional look and feel.

You need to shoot for something more like this - another guy that started machining at age 15 and had to learn English along the way . . . CNC Machining, Oregon Manufacturing, Treske Precision Machining

If you are going to cold call for new customers it is the person who *sounds* like they can do the work that gets the job, not the person who can do the work without sounding professional. I myself am far from a great salesman, but then I work hard to recognize these areas where I am lacking to adjust accordingly.

It may sound harsh how people reacted to the poor grammar on your website, but I have to agree with them. The fact that the site went live with such glaring mistakes shows a lack of attention to detail, and then undermines all the claims you make to the quality/precision of your work. Ask someone with better grammar skills to help with editing, and recognize that it is not your strongest area.

Get an email address at your domain as pointed out by others.

If you are going to say things such as "Over this time we have forged close relationships with multiple local industrial partners to meet their needs for many applications" then illustrate this with examples as best you can. Otherwise those statements just sound like generic BS, so if they are not make sure to show it somehow. (The way you have worded that sounds to me like generic corporate BS, and I would lose it for statements that better reflect a small family business)

Lastly your website is useless to me for this one reason...What is your business name??? Mill and Turn? Professional Machine Service? Pro Machine? That will make me not even bother to contact you even if all else looks good. I want an idea of who I am picking up the phone to call.

If you decide that you don't actually want the critiques, and aren't going to fix up the website. Just PM me and I will send over my customer list and all the jobs that currently need bidding for some leads.

Edit: It bugged the heck out of me that someone put a nickel in the picture of a part that was neither small or complex, and maybe it is just me that feels that way...really bothered me.

Last edited:
You can use social media pages to get your site out there.
Social media links make me gag, then leave. I am looking for a machine shop, not a photo of your cat's breakfast.

Also, Google Analytics and Google Search Console are two free services from Google that are very useful. You should use them both,
Counterpoint, I have anything with the name google blocked (googlefonts tops the list) and any site that costs me money (I pay for data) to download irrelevant shit gets an instant click on the 'x' on the tab. Sitting there waiting for a blocked domain to answer doesn't please me much either. Click that 'x' again, bye-bye. Background links to everyone and anyone are a strong turnoff for me. Stick to your own stuff onsite and who gives a crap about seo, you are not doing mass-marketing.

I can't complain about the photos because after I blocked restorage-hosted-azuredge.net and images.builderservices.io none of them showed up. Oh well, not going to ask this place to do any work. Next !

And last but not least, "By checking this box and submitting your information, you are granting us permission to email you."

You may put that in a dark place and see how it grows !

Sorry, I am very negative about modern websites because they are shit. I do not pay to download a bunch of crap. You could do all this same site with none of the garbage. Shitcan javascript for starters, it's foul.

On your site I mostly see blank pages because it's not a website, it's a collection of links to other places. Fine, but I just left and won't come back. Is that what you are trying for ?

One item that was recently brought up - that I ??? to begin with - was the domain name as well.
Maybe you are looking to cash in on the generic name somehow, but I would want it to reflect the business name.
And - I too am not 100% sure what that is either.
Professional Machine Service is the name of the business?
Not what you doo?
Seems awkward to me, but that's not what you asked our opinion on, so ....

I will say that I absolutely hate those fill in the bleeding blanks type contact us pages!
I typically will move on to the next option if there seems to be one.
I want an email address and a copy in my SENT box - for starters...
I know that you doo have your email address in there too, just sayin' how much those things turn me off!

I put quarters next to my part pics all the time to give them scale.
Sometime a Dew can if it's big.
I'm not seein' the issue there?

Come on guys, the kids started a website for a start-up machine shop.
Not Kennametal, or General Motors....
He can edit it as it goes.
THAT is what I like the best - is to build it yourself so that you can edit as time goes.
How many have had someone build them a site, and then they lose control of it, and don't have a clue how to edit it?

I will add that I doo prefer to take pics of my smaller parts on the granite table as well.
The dark table soaks up all the light and you are left with just the part sticking out for the most part, and NOT an egg crate. ;)

"Going Live"?
Like who - other than us - even knows it exists?

----------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I put quarters next to my part pics all the time to give them scale.
Sometime a Dew can if it's big.
I'm not seein' the issue there?

Come on guys, the kids started a website for a start-up machine shop.
Not Kennametal, or General Motors....
He can edit it as it goes.
THAT is what I like the best - is to build it yourself so that you can edit as time goes.
How many have had someone build them a site, and then they lose control of it, and don't have a clue how to edit it?

I will add that I doo prefer to take pics of my smaller parts on the granite table as well.
The dark table soaks up all the light and you are left with just the part sticking out for the most part, and NOT an egg crate. ;)

"Going Live"?
Like who - other than us - even knows it exists?

----------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I said the nickel thing might very well have only bothered me, and was probably overly critical of that in the post where I said it. Since edited a bit to not sound like such an ass.

The site is a product that they built, and then decided to put it out there for the world to see. I am not trying to put the guy down. Think of the website as an advertisement, and you would never send out a print ad without lots of checking. Just because a website can be edited as time goes on doesn't make it any less sloppy looking to me if it is currently full of poor grammar.

Back