Professional Machine Service - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Again - he didn't put it in the paper yet.
    Just b/c you and me can see it - it's only b/c he gave us the website address.
    Not like anyone else knows about it yet.
    THAT's why he is asking for thoughts now - while he is editing and creating.

Sorry, wasn't commenting on "sounding like such an ass" as either that didn't stick out to me, or wasn't concerned.
    I just picked up on the concern for something to give the part some scale.
    There are way too many times that I see a pic of a part, but you can't tell if it came off a B axis Swiss or an 800mm 5x HMC.
    The complexity doesn't change, but the capacity sure does!

Personally I don't feel that I am in any way one to critique someone else's site, but in this case you asked....

But for my own shop - I really don't like to post pics of machines, as I don't find it beneficial.
    I see many times pics or item lists of the most generic machines known to man.
    Like a brand name that you never heard of, and you know the only reason that it's on anyone's floor is b/c it was the cheapest POS they could find.
    Personally - I don't find that a positive asset in sales.

Got a brand new Mazak Integrex - sure - take a pic.
    Got a brand new Index MS51 - take a pic.
    Got a brand new Makino A51 - post a pic.

Got an old Cinci - list your capacities.
    Got an old Okuma LB15 - list your capacities.
    Got a converted, clapped out, knock-off branded knee mill - I'm not sure I'd even list it's capacities, but Shirley don't put a pic of it out there!

A moron can't make a good bushing out of C360 on a new Mori twin turret lathe.
    A good machinist can possibly make an acceptable 304ss part off that POS knee mill conversion.
    I'm all about showing the work that can, and has been done, rather than selling the iron with a mop bucket beside it.

I too have no clue what "Bracketing" means, but - it could be like some commercials on TV, and I can only ass_u_me that the target audience knows what that means, and that I am NOT in that demographic. Doesn't mean that someone looking for brackets doesn't know exactly what he is selling. For all I know - he is into drag racing. ???

Be it known that these are "in general" points that come to my mind, not specifically targeted at your site.
    Don't take it personally, other than that "contact us" sheet, that you can take personally as I absolutely hate those things and try not to deal with anyone that only leaves me that as a contact source!

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

2. Likes pianoman8t8, DrHook liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So anyone else think the OP got more than he expected?

Good luck with the business, focus on doing that well and the website wont mean much.

Charles

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CBlair View Post

Good luck with the business, focus on doing that well and the website wont mean much.
    Pull quote right there^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

5. Likes pianoman8t8 liked this post
    Upstate NY -In the Flats next to the corn fields
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    Got an old Cinci - list your capacities.
    Got an old Okuma LB15 - list your capacities.
    Got a converted, clapped out, knock-off branded knee mill - I'm not sure I'd even list it's capacities, but Shirley don't put a pic of it out there!

A moron can't make a good bushing out of C360 on a new Mori twin turret lathe.
    A good machinist can possibly make an acceptable 304ss part off that POS knee mill conversion.
    I'm all about showing the work that can, and has been done, rather than selling the iron with a mop bucket beside it.
    My business card says "Solving customers problems since 1979"
    Enough said.

7. Likes DrHook liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry, wasn't commenting on "sounding like such an ass" as either that didn't stick out to me, or wasn't concerned.
    I just picked up on the concern for something to give the part some scale.
    Ox
    No, that was my own opinion after reading what I posted again. It was not meant to sound so harsh, or serious a complaint.

Quote Originally Posted by CBlair View Post
    So anyone else think the OP got more than he expected?

Charles
    I won't disagree with that. Get busy doing good work, and you will most likely get the majority of your business from repeat customers and word of mouth anyhow.

A good website for a business like this is similar to business cards (in this era) in my mind. You do not need it to survive, but it legitimizes your business and adds to a proffesional appearence. I have nice cards for the rare occasion someone asks me for one, because it puts forward a more proffesional thought out appearance. For those reasons it is my thinking that you want a good proffesional looking website up there should anyone go looking for you online, but not worth worrying about seo so much.

9. Likes Ox, pianoman8t8, DrHook liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just looked at it and as reading plenty of ... hey check out my site threads... there are a number of things missing and a bunch of things that people will pick up that you are putting too much into it with giving any real information.

The thing that always stands out that someone is trying too hard is they type out United States of America. Unless you have an American flag tribute near it, its putting too much into it.

Most criticized thing in past threads is capabilities. That like me saying I can weld anything until you call, you figure out I cant, and I loose work.

Probably should say we do A B C and specialize in K Q and X

I agree, the background is too much. Looks ok on the first page, cant see it in the gallery page, and stands awkwardly out on the address page.

Good website = KISS method, you may love it but not everyone does.

Pictures look good though. The only problem I see with them is there is no scale. If that bolt is 5" it may look like a standard 1" bolt you got from mcmaster. The egg crates for background can be any size. I like a 10 x 5 x 10 picture setup. If you have 10 awesome pictures of complex small items, 10 awesome pictures of 10 large items, they dont need 10 mid size items. They already see your skill set. 5 is plenty.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Unfortunately, I can't comment much on the quality of the site because it isn't really functional for me. I'm getting mostly plain white text, on a plain white background. I can only see the text if I select the whole page, which turns it blue. I knew to try that because I've seen it before on sites that don't work with Internet Explorer. I'd guess whatever format you're using doesn't support older browsers. Yes, I'm a dinosaur. But if I can't see most of your page, there are probably potential customers who also can't.

Best of luck with your shop. There are painfully few machinists left under 40, so it's nice to see a young guy giving it a shot.

12. Likes DavidR8, Ox liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by LilMachinist View Post
    *no pictures here but check out my website which showcases few of the parts which I have started documented over the last couple weeks*

Hey Guys,

I'm new to this forum as a member but it's one of my favorite places to read up on things that not only just interest me but also sometimes answer questions that I might have but anyways. I'm 20 years old and have been working in this industry for about 5 years now and in that short time I would say my thought process has formed around manufacturing and business.

I spent the summer working at top tier machine shop.I was running two Mazak variaxis i-700 mills along with a smaller 3-axis and I had the opportunity to setup and machine all literally all sorts of out of the world high tolerance/exotic material parts, bearing retainers/housings for F35 Pratt&Whitney engines, parts for General Electric, just to give you the idea.

While that is beyond interesting for me I have the opportunity to make it happen for myself and im going after it, I started and am back with my grandfather who went from electrical engineer to job shop owner because of life circumstances and opportunity. Just the two of us are comfortable in work load but we're looking to form more industry wide connections. Before I was told that we lacked online presence so I made a website called MillandTurn.com ,check it out and let me know. we do alot of things but we're trying to do more and make it happen.

I would be grateful for any constructive criticism maybe some tips, but mostly for some leads

Edit: if this isn't the right place for this thread I would be glad if a moderator could move it accordingly
    Lil, congrats on one of the best and hardest things you will ever do, starting and running a business!.
    The first thing I will say is be available to your customer, put your phone, email and address right up front. First thing I do when looking for a supplier is look for location, next can I call and talk with him, last is a email address. If I have to fill out a contact sheet you would never hear from me.
    Not many people care about what you turn their parts on just can you turn it.
    If I have a 50" 5 ton forging that needs turned and you can only swing 20" and only have a 1 ton forklift, we are both wasting each other's time talking. In clear language lay out your capacities, machine's, facility, material handling, loading dock, semi truck unloading etc.
    A picture of your facility, and a couple of special jobs are all the pictures you need.
    A picture of a 2" shaft turned and threaded tells me you just started and that is your best work. A 20' , 48" dia auger with a 8" bearing journal 16" long that you are machining in a HBM shows me you are a machinist and understand tool flex, vibration, work holding, and can think outside the box.
    When looking for a supplier nobody wants someone who is going to be over there head with the job.
    You got a year earlier start than I did but 46 years in the trade and 39 years as a business owner have been great for me.
    Always under promise and over deliver.
    And never ever bill ( or ask for more) than you quote a job and never deliver late. If a guy quotes me 500.00 and a week delivery then calls and wants more money or time I will probably never give him another job.
    My customers expect there parts on time and for the price quoted.
    If you do these things you will never have to hunt for work.

14. Likes pianoman8t8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think when it comes to websites unless you are doing a service that is very specified like balancing driveshafts for air craft carriers, doing repair work, or huge parts where the closer the better is needed to save on shipping costs, your website isn't going to bring in much work. In that case the main purpose of the website is to verify you are who you say you are, a small machine shop in the Eastern USA and not a poser using a mail drop in the USA playing middleman to shops in China. Bearing that in mind a website could or could not be worth a big investment in time and money, often the bare minimum is good enough.

I agree with others to get a domain name related to your business and an e-mail address tied to that domain name. [email protected] does not pass the smell test as being professional. I would also drop the idea of keyword spamming. I am sure I am not alone in my disgust when a search for a type of business I am looking for turns up keyword spammers unrelated to my search. If I am looking for a centerless grinding shop near Richmond Virginia and a plater in Southern California pops up in the results I will make a mental note to not even use their service if I needed it someday.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Social media links make me gag, then leave. I am looking for a machine shop, not a photo of your cat's breakfast.

Counterpoint, I have anything with the name google blocked (googlefonts tops the list) and any site that costs me money (I pay for data) to download irrelevant shit gets an instant click on the 'x' on the tab. Sitting there waiting for a blocked domain to answer doesn't please me much either. Click that 'x' again, bye-bye. Background links to everyone and anyone are a strong turnoff for me. Stick to your own stuff onsite and who gives a crap about seo, you are not doing mass-marketing.
    The thing is that the OP spoke about an interest in keywords and SEO. Social media has all kinds of industry-specific groups. Those free Google tools tell you about traffic sources (Direct, Social, Referral, Organic), how many "impressions" your site makes in Google searches, the search terms and many other things. Social media is used by many companies. In fact, Lockheed's facebook page has over 600K followers. Boeing's has over 1.4M. Lockheed posted to their FB site 35 minutes ago. Their post has been shared 9 times and has 108 reactions. Rather than the cat's breakfast, the post was about the Aegis Combat System.

The guy was asking for feedback related to his new website to promote his business. He's received a lot of it and the vast majority of it will be useful to him, IMO.

17. Likes Ox, motion guru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My website host'er sometimes calls me to see if they could help to edit my site to git more traffic.
    They are when I tell them that I don't want Joe Public to stumble on my site.
    He's not my target. (And I Shirley don't want him cart'n his mower blades in here!)

Like Dual said - it's really for more info for those already interested.
    Be that from word of mouth or paid advertising in key spots.

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

19. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Professional Machine Service

PMS for short kind of catchy.

Unfortunately you need to look out for this kind of stuff.

21. Likes Mcgyver liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My website host'er sometimes calls me to see if they could help to edit my site to git more traffic.
    They are when I tell them that I don't want Joe Public to stumble on my site.
    He's not my target. (And I Shirley don't want him cart'n his mower blades in here!)

Like Dual said - it's really for more info for those already interested.
    Be that from word of mouth or paid advertising in key spots.

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    I agree, Ox - a machine shop's website will get visits from people with a specific interest or need. That doesn't diminish the benefit of designing it to be search engine friendly. As an example, I searched "cnc machine shop west unity ohio" and came up with 20 shops. If I'm a buyer, I'm probably starting at the top and working my way down the list until I find what I need.

The likelihood of getting to the bottom of the list is minimal. Being at the top of the list is what SEO is for. Since nobody has to sacrifice their ability to be a great machinist to have a company website that is at or near the top of the search results and since there are known things you can do optimize the site, I'm in the "be at the top" camp. Whether it means one Customer, ten Customers or no Customers at the end of the day, it certainly doesn't hurt. It can only help.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jobshopblog.com View Post
    Social media is used by many companies. In fact, Lockheed's facebook page has over 600K followers. Boeing's has over 1.4M. Lockheed posted to their FB site 35 minutes ago. Their post has been shared 9 times and has 108 reactions. Rather than the cat's breakfast, the post was about the Aegis Combat System.
    Oh I'm sure, but not many people are looking to Lockheed for making 1" bolts.

Nor are too many people buying stock in Professional Machine Services and I doubt he makes awesome weapons that all the military hardware geeks can drool over. In fact, I doubt that he'd get ten hits to a Facebook post on his cool new brackets.

Different strokes for different purposes.

24. Likes TeachMePlease liked this post