Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Programming it tough and at times it sucks being in a room all day with or without interruptions. Some days I need a break from working on a job and other days I want to lock the door and tell everyone to F off.

2. Likes toolsteel, Job Shopper TN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I’ve only got one machine for one specific job. Had to program it on the floor, wished I would of had cad & cam .....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would say it depends on the part quantity and features as well as the tools you stock.

If your machine is set up where you have all the tools in the machine pre-set up with all the lengths and clearances known, the programing room is nice. But that is rarely the case.

I personally am more productive with my computer close to the machines so I can see what tool are available. I mostly work with one off parts. If I was programming for production, again the quiet room may be nice.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We have both. We had/have a programming cell on the shop floor and Engineering/Programming in an office. The machinists who program in CAM software do that in the cell on the floor where as the engineering dept. programs in the office. I use a laptop though and when new complex parts are being setup, I'll temporarily relocate to right at the machine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I’ve always been a floor guy, robotics and automation...but also a wrench and wires...not all things are handled in software.
    That said, it’s nice to have a closet somewhere to hide and focus when needed.

7. Likes toolsteel liked this post
    Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Programming cafe all the way! I set one up in a factory in China and the scrap rate fell 60+ % overnight (that's a lot for China). It gave the crew the opportunity to ask a question about an op without having to run around on the floor and minimal distractions. Many times I would be sitting at my desk and see one of them look over at another persons project and let them know they where making a mistake or even learn a different approach to an operation. Kill off all the spindle noise, phones, intercoms, and put in a good HVAC system and things just seem to run smoother.

How many times have you been programming on the shop floor and a high feed mill comes up? Or you hear chatter and you lose your whole train of thought?