What's new
What's new

quality

zayy

Plastic
Hi,
I own a small CNC shop and we have been having quality issues with our customer. Since then we have purchased new metrology equipment to help us improve our quality. My question is does any one have any type of form made up that they send to their costumers after shipping out a batch of parts to make sure everything was fine ?

if so would you guys mind sharing it with me so I can put something together.

thanks

There are a few people here, that insist that parts are inspected in their Metrology departments, witnessed by their customers.

No, I don't have any forms, I'm employed to put band-aids on shit. " Make it work until it fails, we'll purchase a new one then.".....

Quality covers so many things.............Sample all the Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing [: Geometric dimensioning and tolerancing - Wikipedia :]

Ask the customer to pick those that need to be critical....

Hi,
I own a small CNC shop and we have been having quality issues with our customer. Since then we have purchased new metrology equipment to help us improve our quality. My question is does any one have any type of form made up that they send to their costumers after shipping out a batch of parts to make sure everything was fine ?

if so would you guys mind sharing it with me so I can put something together.

thanks

What type of quality issues? dimensional, burrs, finish etc etc? do you do in process inspection and 1st articles?
My Customers inspectors will tell me if they have an issue with a part/parts. I dont have any forms that I give them.

All of our parts go out with a dimensional report sheet. It’s a simple table with space for the customer name, job number, part number, and columns to list the nominal dimension, tolerance and actual dimension. A manual final inspection is done on pretty much every job we send out.

Here is a sample of one I have introduced in several shops I have helped.
The accompaning blueprint has dimensions "bubbled" so the operator knows what he is checking.

The ID # of the tool used is recorded, as are the operator and inspectors initials.
The H designation means that we have had past problems with this feature, so pay attention.
Seemed to work fine for our stuff.

View attachment sample quality form.pdf

All of our parts go out with a dimensional report sheet. It’s a simple table with space for the customer name, job number, part number, and columns to list the nominal dimension, tolerance and actual dimension. A manual final inspection is done on pretty much every job we send out.

This is what we do as well.

QT: [and we have been having quality issues with our customer.]
one does not get many second chances.

Likely nothing wrong with your customers, it is more likely a problem with your parts.
After is not the time to address the problem.

Perhaps a quality control/inspector person...and a check list to go with tha job/part order.

I like to have a process sheet so the person instructing a certain job can hit all the important things when explaining a process. With not that every new guy will make the same mistake as the last new guy.

Keep a list of complaints along with the solution on that list. Perhaps post this on the wall next to the time clock.

A check schedule and writing down the feature check was a process used at one shop. Every so many parts was checked so getting off spec was noted before getting close to spec..

Operators playing with cell phones is a hazard to quality.

Assuming you have identified Root Cause and fixed the "quality issues" that keep occurring, as others have pointed out you can ship an Inspection Report with each delivery identifying what each part measured to, feature by feature, when it shipped to them. This does required you to mark each part with some kind of ID/Sequence Number that ties it to measurements on the Report.

Inspection Reporting is simply a certification "quality issues" aren't occurring in the process, so horse has to come before the cart. If quality issues keep occurring, inserting Inspection Reporting into that will won't really fix anything of course. You will still have ballooned overhead/cost trying to correct deliveries.

Alternately, I suppose you could consider a "batch certification", whereby you list all the measurements/requirements for the job and declare that the batch of parts passed those checks successfully. This would avoid having to mark and record measurements for each part.

Where I work, jobs that require Inspection Reporting fall into two categories: Past customer complaint (thankfully rare) versus simply required by a Customer (most common). In either case parts are laser engraved with ID numbers and each is measured and recorded on an Inspection Report. That Inspection report is shipped/e-mailed to the Customer as part of the delivery.

A couple of our Customers have their own revision controlled Inspection Reports we have to use.

I've created a couple of "intelligent" Inspection Report spreadsheets for everyone else. Once measurements are completed it is setup to either 1) Print a formatted Inspecdtion Report, or 2) Produce an "export" of the measurement results that can be e-mailed to the customer.

Back