What's new
What's new

Quandary...

Mark P.

Aluminum
Once the auction is over and complete, we've obviously got to clean the place up and turn it back over to the landlord. I'm well into the first week of November at that point. I'm getting antsy about the job market. I haven't been without a job since graduating HS in 84. I'm ready to send resumes out BUT I have a hernia surgery scheduled for early December. I put it off for over 10 years...never had the time. Do I wait, do I test the waters for interest? I want to be fair to whomever hires me. The "I'm not available until mid December" might be a hard sell.

Once the auction is over and complete, we've obviously got to clean the place up and turn it back over to the landlord. I'm well into the first week of November at that point. I'm getting antsy about the job market. I haven't been without a job since graduating HS in 84. I'm ready to send resumes out BUT I have a hernia surgery scheduled for early December. I put it off for over 10 years...never had the time. Do I wait, do I test the waters for interest? I want to be fair to whomever hires me. The "I'm not available until mid December" might be a hard sell.

No/Yes ....

How is the job market out there? Are people getting hired right away? Personally, I would send out those resumes and be honest with the new employer. It shows that you are an honest and open employee and willing to work with management. If they don't hire you because of that, they obviously aren't that sore for bodies. Just my $.02, but it would be worth it to start passing resumes out.

Sounds like you have a lot going. Get the shop cleared out and done with. Then move onto personal health issues and then when your 100% start applying for jobs. No good if you do find an employer where you come up with a possible start date then can't keep that date. Recovery will give you plenty of time to search the job market and be able to think through your strategy.

Get the hernia surgery!! I had an umbical hernia that I put off for about the same time as you. I eventually ended up in the ER because I couldn't get it popped back in and it hurt SOOO bad. I am not sure, but I think it was a week off work, and then weight lift restrictions for a while, then no more pain. :)

It's an opinion but I recommend waiting until healed to enter the work force. People say all the time about being honest, etc. I have been on both sides and to be honest, knowing someone has or is fresh from a medical condition would be a consideration, whether legal or not.

Look at this from the employer side. They are hiring someone either injured or fresh from a repair that will take months to heal if it works. If there are complications, they signed someone up that will now miss work or have limited function.

Get the hernia surgery!! I had an umbical hernia that I put off for about the same time as you. I eventually ended up in the ER because I couldn't get it popped back in and it hurt SOOO bad. I am not sure, but I think it was a week off work, and then weight lift restrictions for a while, then no more pain. :)

Mine's in the groin. I get occasional pain when I ingest the wrong things. I also wanted to take care of it while I have insurance. They are going to fix the lesser one too I believe. Doctor had originally told me Mid-Novemeber....his staff said no early December. I'm a somewhat healthy person. 6 ft 1 185 lbs. Don't smoke and rarely drink. I bike an hour or two daily (4k miles on the year). My dad at my age was having a quadruple bypass. That kinda scares you into trying to live a little healthier

Health first. But I wouldn't put off looking either. You might find a place that wants to hire you AND is willing to give leeway for the surgery.

No guarantees, but now that I'm getting into my 60's I'm more aware of how "the machine" needs maintenance now and then, and you've put the surgery off for 10 years as it is.

IMHO. Best of luck to you.

If you can afford it, wait a little. If you have been working since '84 w/o any real breaks beyond occasional vacations and some weekends, having a month or two of time for yourself is tremendously refreshing and not to get to New Age soul satisfying. It can also be tremendously helpful in giving you the headspace to think through what type of work you would really like to do as you finish out your working life.

If you can afford it, wait a little. If you have been working since '84 w/o any real breaks beyond occasional vacations and some weekends, having a month or two of time for yourself is tremendously refreshing and not to get to New Age soul satisfying. It can also be tremendously helpful in giving you the headspace to think through what type of work you would really like to do as you finish out your working life.

Closing this business has been mentally fatiguing. Just driving around today and handing out flyers left me a little loopy. I've used the nightly bike rides as a kind of therapy (recharge and renew). Now if I can allow myself to let go and stop fixating on everything, I should be okay.

I closed up my manufacturing business after 8 years and a deal with a bigger company went south. I had 5 employees at the time and kept them in the loop the whole time. I wrote recommendations and allowed them paid time off for job interviews. They all stayed to the very end. We finished sweeping the floors, shook hands and went our separate ways. I went home and cried like a baby. Then I found a job.

I don't think it makes a difference whichever way you decide.
Every shop i know is looking to hire qualified people.
There is a big shortage of good machinists.

Good luck with the surgery.

Sam

After selling my last business I decided to finish out my working life working for someone else. I wanted to do something I really liked to do for a change.

I decided it was best not to put business owner as part of my resume instead list as manager, which was true.
While interviewers may not say so a I feel lot of them believe that a former owner might not fit in as a trades man regardless of experience.

When I went for a job after years of working for myself,and dabbling in various businesses,I was told in the preliminary interview that it was a major problem.......but in the final interview ,the owner made a joke about being in jail,and I was asked when I could start......in the event they rang the next day,and told me to come straight over ,they couldnt wait until Monday.

Hernia surgery is a valid reason for not being available right away. Get it done now while you are temporarily out of the job market rather than take time off later from a new position. I think most employers would appreciate the honesty.

And a hernia DOES NOT get better with time, usually just the opposite.

Hernia surgery is a valid reason for not being available right away. Get it done now while you are temporarily out of the job market rather than take time off later from a new position. I think most employers would appreciate the honesty.

And a hernia DOES NOT get better with time, usually just the opposite.

I told the wife that I really need to dial it back. I'm always go,go,go. She won't let me go back to work until after the surgery.....BUT I think she'd let me remodel her kitchen...

Definitely get fixed up before applying .......I used to do interviews,and millenials would come over about how they d be needing time off right away for some medical or relationship reason.......and it used to piss me right off.

I told the wife that I really need to dial it back. I'm always go,go,go. She won't let me go back to work until after the surgery.....BUT I think she'd let me remodel her kitchen...

Definitely get a job before taking over the remodel project. Or else, it will go WAY over on time, AND budget... ;)

With everyone desperate for employees, start networking. Certainly you know someone who knows someone in desperate need. Get a referral, be honest & upfront. Go into the surgery knowing that you have a plan for work once recovery is done. It will help ease the anxiety while you're recovering.

One of the best lessons I've learned comes from having been laid off & fired in the past. Having gone through it, you learn that the next gig is right around the corner, and that you're never stuck in the unemployed state, unless you want to be...

With everyone desperate for employees, start networking. Certainly you know someone who knows someone in desperate need. Get a referral, be honest & upfront. Go into the surgery knowing that you have a plan for work once recovery is done. It will help ease the anxiety while you're recovering.

Actually, I need to amend that statement....

Go out and get, TWO, THREE, FOUR different job offers.

As you already know from your time in business, a customer's promise is no good until the PO shows up in your inbox. Employers are just the same.

Get multiple offers, get the surgery, and rest easy knowing that you have several different options once you're recovered - and take that one that you WANT to do the most...

Back