Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    This is confusing me too. When Dualkit said "Since I said tolerances were +/-.002 on diameter and location on the holes I would think one would assume MM in the first place.", he must have meant a larger value like 0.2mm.

It would be good to get confirmation on that, if just to clean up the thread.
    This is whats sucks in USA we still use mostly inch system and everyone else metric..... then when we try to use metric dim's shit like this comes up and everyone looks confused.

2. Likes Ox liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I got it, let's make a new system called the grit system. Close to the metric system, we will base everything off the size of a grit of sand.

We can have different lengths called grit, stick, branch, flight.... It's just a combination of the metric and imperial system... Everyone should get it instantly Questions on quoting job??

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    Also if in inches the parts would have weighed approximately 200 pounds each making 200 of them 20 tons!

Some of us handle parts that are over 20mm you know ....

I have an HMC that is just itchin' to put 2" holes in 200 of your 6" bars!

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

5. Likes Bobw, digger doug, SND liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
    I got it, let's make a new system called the grit system. Close to the metric system, we will base everything off the size of a grit of sand.

We can have different lengths called grit, stick, branch, flight.... It's just a combination of the metric and imperial system... Everyone should get it instantly Questions on quoting job??

I like the cubit unit of measurement best....
    Bill Cosby - Noah - YouTube

7. Likes Ox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't know if this is funny or not. I was the one who sent him the job to quote. It was a customer of a customer PDF, Unit:mm was in the same font as the dimension numbers and was toward the top of the drawing. Since I said tolerances were +/-.002 on diameter and location on the holes I would think one would assume MM in the first place. Also if in inches the parts would have weighed approximately 200 pounds each making 200 of them 20 tons!

For the record if in inches $15 each would have been ridiculously low, that should have been the handling charge.
    As for the OP, learn from your mistakes. It wasn't wise for you to make this post this quickly, you should have kept things to yourself. You exposed yourself making a bad mistake after posting wanting work, not good.
    I disagree, he exposed nothing other than he couldn't figure out what he did wrong. Sounds like a a fair and honest guy, maybe you should get him to quote more stuff, and as he learns you'll get some good deals when he is too low and he'll make money on others. You both win.

9. Likes Bobw, Ox, SND liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bondo View Post

Philip Morrison described how his wife, Phyllis, generated a new weight system with no prior example. She made a simple balance and tried creek stones until she found two that matched. She then put both on one pan and tried stones until she found one that balanced with the two, then put that one on the pan with the first two and found one to match them. Continuing produced a set of standards in binary order.

The Morrisons are high on the list of people I wish I could have known.

While you are worrying about measurements systems, just be glad you do not have to work in Roman numerals where you need to work in fractions.

Bill

11. Likes eaglemike, Oldwrench liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    I like the cubit unit of measurement best....
    Bill Cosby - Noah - YouTube
    I hadn't heard of a cubit until my thermodynamics class. It's been a little while. That's 1.5 feet, right?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Montana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by robert123 View Post
    I hadn't heard of a cubit until my thermodynamics class. It's been a little while. That's 1.5 feet, right?
    Depends on whether it's YOUR cubit or MY cubit.

14. Likes Ox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JLarsson View Post
    Depends on whether it's YOUR cubit or MY cubit.

Yeah, I believe it is the length of a fore-arm.

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Montana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    Yeah, I believe it is the length of a fore-arm.

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    I always understood it as the distance from the elbow (with arm bent) to the tip of the outstretched fingers. Roughly 18 inches on average. Then I've heard of something called a "royal cubit", which may have been around 20 inches. Either way, it's another non-standard standard, except for some local project, like an ark or a pyramid or something where the FOREman (ha!) could establish the cubit to be used. Probably a lot of other history concerning the use of cubits of which I am ignorant, and which would shed much more light than I am able.

17. Likes Ox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mine is 20".

I would have never guessed that I had royal blood in these veins!

--------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    Mine is 20".

I would have never guessed that I had royal blood in these veins!

--------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

20” !!!??? Oh wait, you meant forearm.

20. Likes Ox liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't know if this is funny or not. I was the one who sent him the job to quote. It was a customer of a customer PDF, Unit:mm was in the same font as the dimension numbers and was toward the top of the drawing. Since I said tolerances were +/-.002 on diameter and location on the holes I would think one would assume MM in the first place. Also if in inches the parts would have weighed approximately 200 pounds each making 200 of them 20 tons!

For the record if in inches $15 each would have been ridiculously low, that should have been the handling charge.
    As for the OP, learn from your mistakes. It wasn't wise for you to make this post this quickly, you should have kept things to yourself. You exposed yourself making a bad mistake after posting wanting work, not good.
    I honestly gotta say this is pretty neat that the customer gets to chime in on this.

With that said, regardless of what the OP posted, he did not out the customer. Reading the post I got the impresssion the guy is woried about hitting the mark and looking for advice on how not to lose future bids if he is in fact out line. Thats what this forum is for.

What would have made this all funny is if you made a thread complaining on suppliers sending in crazy bids asking what gives?

At the end of the day, it sounds like the OP should have picked up the phone and called the customer for a quick discussion after receiving the print if that did not already happen....a common problem in todays day and age, but interesting since the OP says he is retired so he is on the other side of technology.

Good time to recommend establishing a manufacturing feasibilty document to help make sure all the critical perspectives are considered.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No, he was at $15. I had one at $2.87 and one at $2.50.
    People are quoting $2.87 and $2.50 in 200 pc qtys for parts that have ±.002mm tolerances?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy1966 View Post
    People are quoting $2.87 and $2.50 in 200 pc qtys for parts that have ±.002mm tolerances?

Dual said that he told the guy +/- .002, and while he didn't specify it here, I took it to mean that he meant .002". He eluded that _ that would seem a normal tol enough to ass_u_me it to be metric - again - ass-u-ming .05mm

At least this is how I took Dual's post, although after so many replies - he hasn't confirmed.

I agree that the guy just sounded like he's trying to figger out if he is really out of the ballpark or not. Because if he is really in left field at this price - maybe he should sell his machines and start raising nightcrawlers.

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No, the tolerances were +/- .002 as in inches. My customer sent me a dimensioned in mm PDF without tolerances. I don't know what it was drawn on, there were no block tolerances and "Unit:mm" was listed in the upper right hand corner.

I had no issues with the print or that the .002 that was stated in the e-mail was inches. Even if I missed the "Unit:mm" the title of "Mini Output Shaft" would have told me they weren't 200 pound parts. As for .002 tolerance if in mm that would have been an inch tolerance of less than .0001, so obvious to me it was in inches.

Since this customer of mine often sends JPEGs of hand drawings with sharpies on graph paper this drawing appeared more than adequate and easily understood by me, others may have thought differently, next time I will make everything more clear.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No, the tolerances were +/- .002 as in inches. My customer sent me a dimensioned in mm PDF without tolerances. I don't know what it was drawn on, there were no block tolerances and "Unit:mm" was listed in the upper right hand corner.

I had no issues with the print or that the .002 that was stated in the e-mail was inches. Even if I missed the "Unit:mm" the title of "Mini Output Shaft" would have told me they weren't 200 pound parts. As for .002 tolerance if in mm that would have been an inch tolerance of less than .0001, so obvious to me it was in inches.

Since this customer of mine often sends JPEGs of hand drawings with sharpies on graph paper this drawing appeared more than adequate and easily understood by me, others may have thought differently, next time I will make everything more clear.
    Dualkit posted this in post number 10.

"Unit:mm was in the same font as the dimension numbers and was toward the top of the drawing. Since I said tolerances were +/-.002 on diameter and location on the holes I would think one would assume MM in the first place. Also if in inches the parts would have weighed approximately 200 pounds each making 200 of them 20 tons!"

I know you are not saying this, but I want Dualkit to know I'm not picking on him. They guy is solid and clearly a great guy for giving another person an opportunity. Just getting a feel for what people are quoting on something with such a tight tolerance. Market comparison just like the OP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The +/-.002 was not on the print, but in the body of the e-mail. I will be more clear next time, I will not assume everyone is a good of a mind reader as me, ha,ha.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dualkit posted this in post number 10.

"Unit:mm was in the same font as the dimension numbers and was toward the top of the drawing. Since I said tolerances were +/-.002 on diameter and location on the holes I would think one would assume MM in the first place. Also if in inches the parts would have weighed approximately 200 pounds each making 200 of them 20 tons!"

I know you are not saying this, but I want Dualkit to know I'm not picking on him. They guy is solid and clearly a great guy for giving another person an opportunity. Just getting a feel for what people are quoting on something with such a tight tolerance. Market comparison just like the OP.
    Thanks Sir. I thought this was a new level of rat race to the bottom. ha ha. Unrealistic tolerances with unrealistic prices for work on massive parts.

Have a good day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The +/-.002 was not on the print, but in the body of the e-mail. I will be more clear next time, I will not assume everyone is a good of a mind reader as me, ha,ha.
    The stupid part of this - and I *mean* stupid - is having a drawing in one measurement system and then specifying a tolerance in a completely different one AND NOT SAYING SO!

Come on - that is idiotic, it's got nothing to do with mind-reading.

PDW

29. Likes Garwood, rbdjr59, dstig, eaglemike liked this post