What's new
What's new

Quoting job with TG&P call-out

hesstool

Stainless
I'm quoting a job that specifies 3" dia., A311 Class B 1045, TG&P. If all surfaces on the part are to be machined, would it really make a difference if I bought cold drawn material instead of TG&P? I mean, other than the fact I'm not buying what was specified. It's the same material other than the surface treatment, right?

Hesstool,
As Long as you buy the material as A311 Class B 1045 and all surfaces are machined it does not matter if it is turned ground and polished. The class B has more draft when starting the cold working which gives it the greater strength. The TG&P is just going to give you a tighter OD tolerance which is nice when you don't need to turn the OD. Call me tomorrow if you have any questions.
Here is the description for A311
ASTM A311 / A311M
Abstract
This specification covers cold-drawn, stress-relieved carbon steel bars subject to mechanical property requirements. The bars are furnished in two classes, A and B. Class A are normal-draft cold-drawn and stress-relieved rounds, squares, hexagons, and flats. Class B are heavy-draft cold-drawn and stress-relieved rounds and hexagons. The steel shall be made by one or more of the following primary processes: open-hearth, basic-oxygen, or electric-furnace. The cast or heat analysis shall conform to the chemical composition requirements specified. Tension test shall be made to conform to the requirements specified.

Scope

1.1 This specification covers two classes, nine grades, and four conditions of stress-relieved cold-drawn carbon steel bars produced to mechanical property requirements. One class, B, is cold drawn with higher than normal (heavy) drafts to provide higher strength levels, and four grades provide improved machinability.

Back