What's new
What's new

Safety Boots?

happydude

Plastic
Hi I'm new here and wanted to ask any other shop owners if they got an opinion on what I should do.

I recently hired a new CNC machinist who refuses to wear steel toed boots to work. I've warned him twice about this and I'm thinking I need to get this guy to sign a waiver or something. The pieces he works on are heavy and large - we don't work on very many small jobs.
It's a small shop (as in employee number, not size) and I always make sure everyone wears steel toed boots, (even the office girl!) as it's part of our safety guidelines.

How do I deal with this guy?

Thanks!
Happydude

Waiver is only going to prove to his attorney that you willfully allowed him to violate safety policies that you put in place. You'll have to discipline him if he violating an in place safety policy.

Tell him to wear them or hit the road and that's a fact. You will still be held to blame if he gets hurts no matter what you make him sign.

I'm sure there are other cnc machinist's fully capable of replacing him up there in Alberta...

That would be happy to wear the mandatory steel toed safety shoes.

So give him another warning and tell him if he's not going to comply to hit the road? Seems fair to me.

I kind of find this guy to be quite annoying as he has a serious "temper" problem and "learning" problem.

It's almost impossible to find a competent CNC machinist in our city as I am always looking for someone to doesn't need to be hand held by the machine.

Hi I'm new here and wanted to ask any other shop owners if they got an opinion on what I should do.

I recently hired a new CNC machinist who refuses to wear steel toed boots to work. I've warned him twice about this and I'm thinking I need to get this guy to sign a waiver or something. The pieces he works on are heavy and large - we don't work on very many small jobs.
It's a small shop (as in employee number, not size) and I always make sure everyone wears steel toed boots, (even the office girl!) as it's part of our safety guidelines.

Thanks!
Happydude

Take him and your Mastercard down to the local Redwing store, get him fitted, and hand the clerk you card.

I would tell him to go to first get a notarized letter stating that he refuses to wear the recommended shoes and takes all responsibility upon himself for injury. That is if it not OSHA required. If OSHA required show him the exit.

Looks like it is not OSHA required I don't know about Canada rules

I'm thinking of letting this guy go, I'm not about to buy him a new set of shoes that he was supposed to have already before we hired him! We asked him if he had shoes and he said "yes, but i don't like how they feel"

Guy has had to much regard for how things feel.

What ever happened to discipline.. “Just do it because that is the rule”

“I don’t want to” should stop at about age three.

Tell him that he will be fired for not complying to shop safety rules and that when the next possible employer sees that he might not get the next job.
Might be a good lesson for him.

Buck

Whats wrong with the guy ? I have some steel toed shoes i used to wear as a "normal" shoe for everyday activities. Totally comfortable and visually indifferent from any other sturdy leather shoe.

Particularly nice for public events, had a friend step on my shoes with her high heels as a result of massive crowding during the annual city fair. She was apologetic and really sorry for having caused me serious pain. I hadn't even noticed the incident. :D

Crying shame that the product was discontinued.....they are slowly falling apart....7 years later.....

Either this fella needs to learn that absolutely terrific safety boots can be bought if you happen to find the right company...or he needs to go.

He either wears the correct personal protective clothing, or get's out - with the print of my steel toecap on his ass:D

FWIW my immediate neighbours are a small ''country'' engine rebuild shop, even the girls who drive the parts vans wear toe cap shoes.

Thanks!
Happydude

Implement a written policy where the company reimburses $XXX for boots each year and require that they are worn on the job. Require all employees to sign the policy. Provide a locker or cubby space so the employee can keep them at work if desired. If he still refuses to wear the boots fire him. If he "forgets" the boots send him home. If he forgets again, send him home for a week, if he forgets a third time, fire him.

Poor guy needs a job so badly when we first met him - he was the nicest dude you could find. Two weeks in, and he's fighting with everyone in the shop (including the small office girl who hardly speaks to him) and constantly blaming others for the pieces he's ***ing up. I feel sorry for the guy, but this whole safety thing is about to bite me in the ass.
The guy has a serious "its not my fault" problem. Several times he makes mistakes and always claims its "not his fault" and has a serious attitude issue. We hired him because he wanted to learn - but when we try to teach him he's belligerent and completely painful to talk to.

Steel toes come looking pretty normal now, I'm pretty sure I saw some that even look like nice fancy dress shoes I wear with a suit.

But then .. What are the rules in Canada? Can you fire him for that? Was the compliance to safety rules stated at time of hire? Should new hire practice that state compliance to safety rules be employed and state that is a condition of employment.

If not mentioned you might imply that was stated and see if he buys that suggestion then you might be clear to fire him for not or demand he comply to the rule.

what are the rules in Canada? Can you fire him for that?

I would LOVE to know this answer.

I'm pretty sure an employer isn't allowed to "fire" an employee unless there is a blessing bestowed by a government official.......But I could be mistaken.

I am not sticking up for the guy, just want to make an observation. Years ago in the shop where my dad worked. They required steel toe boots. I remember my dad telling me about guys losing there toes. When something heavy falls, the steel toe acts like a anvil and cuts the toes off. I do not ware steel toed boots. Yes, I have had things fall on me. But when I did have to go to the hospital. The nurse and doctor said it was a good thing I did not have steel toed boots on.
It is better to have a smashed foot, then have no toes. They said it makes it very hard to walk without toes. They balance your body. I know OSHA has alot of rules. But some need to be a personal choice.

Back