Close
Login to Your Account
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Safety Boots?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If your shop was in the U.S. this is probably what would happen:

1) He drops something less than 50 pounds on his non safety toe boot and requires a trip to the hospital.

2) OSHA comes in and levies heavy fines for letting him work without proper gear.

3) You receive a demand letter from attorney I. M. Pettifogger of the firm Dewey, Cheatham, and Howe demanding adequate compensation for your unfortunate former employee or he will be forced to seek $5 million in court.

Seriously though, I am distressed that you are still considering firing him rather than having already done so. From what you report he clearly lied his way into your employ. He is screwing up constantly and creating tension with your employees.

By now, human nature being what it is, those other employees are wondering why you keep giving this guy a break. They will be starting to lose faith in you and wondering what they should do.

I suspect that you are a very decent and moral man who seeks to help this poor unfortunate. Your employees will not see it that way. As others have said, your troubles are just beginning.

In one instance I know of the troublesome under-performer was only fired after he pulled a knife on a supervisor.

2. Likes digger doug, flutedchamber liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CORNFIELDCNC View Post
    Steel toes are for protecting toes from sub 50# weighs and stubbing accidents. If you're around REALLY heavy falling objects, then steel metatarsal guards are required. I wish doctors would stick to what they're supposed to know...
    Me, all my shoes/boots are steel toes. I have metatarsal guards when moving about heavy objects...like when we replace deck plates.

Also, anyone thinking that this new employee might need to do an unannounced UA? Had an employee very similar to this one...ended up finding he was a meth head. Ya never know.
    You can choose to have lost labor that you've planned in advance (by getting rid of this employee), or unplanned, surprise lost labor that you will pay dearly for (when this guy is in hospital, or your other employees lose productivity in his presence).

If something is worth wearing steel toes for, it's probably worth metatarsal guards. I think the steel caps are a bit of false protection, given the complexity and exposure of all the bones in the foot. I'd say just 15 or 15#, at the right height and angle, could be payday for a surgeon, even with safety toes. Offer him a good pair from a quality brand, there are many inexpensive brands that will never break in and feel right.

Or, just get rid of him. Have you ever seen his other boots? Many will go for good money, even used, in a pinch. Maybe they're long gone, transacted into his powder of choice, and any boots you give will go the same way.

I used to have a job where my employer cared about every aspect of my comfort. I could wear the footwear I wanted, could choose to sit, stand, recline, or even sleep. Then I woke up..

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yea he's going. I just wanted to give the poor guy a chance. Either way, I understand how it goes in this business.

And Yes, there are those that have risen from bottom up in the company. We got a girl who came in as a laborer who needed a shot at the trade, and I put her on the machines and taught her. She's now a machinist who works on manual lathes and can run my manual mill with a little supervision.
    I had another fellow come in with little welding experience and by the end of it was a decent machinist who knew how to run most of the machines in the shop. He left when he got married and moved closer to his wife's family. Sad to see him go, but glad he left with skills to feed his family.

5. Likes Laurentian, michiganbuck, Jashley73 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happydude View Post

I kind of find this guy to be quite annoying as he has a serious "temper" problem and "learning" problem.
    Are you kidding me ? He's out the door. Do it today man you will be a happy guy.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What?

If he does not wear safety shoes and it is a company policy-

Put your shoe in his butt and out the door he goes.

Pretty simple to me.

8. Likes 77ironhead liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Givin' the guy the "boot" is a no brainer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If comfort is his objection (as it was for one of the guys here), have him get a pair of one of these:

Reebok RB8694 Mens 6 inch Composite Toe Side Zip Desert Tan Boot
    Reebok RB8674 Mens 6 inch Composite Safety Toe Tactical Boot

These used to be made by Converse, then magically switched to Reebok (but P/N's stayed the same except for the addition of RB in front).

They are composite toe, but meet the OSHA/ANSI standards. Very comfy. The three of us in our shop all wear one style or another. We get a $100 safety boot allowance each year (used to be $80).

Cheers,
    --Hawk

11. Likes Groovejivey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wearing the correct safety gear should be considered part of the training i would have thought. If the guy cant get to grips with that what chance does he stand of learning the rest of the job. I would say get him gone. Surely he must be lacking of commonsense anyway

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There's times when you need to be flexible, and others where you need to read the riot act at the first sign of trouble. Safety issues aren't one of the flexible times. Whether it's something minor like ear plugs, or major like no long sleeves at the lathe they need to be enforced Period ! Make sure your next hire understands that from the interview up to day one and day last.

2 TV show's I'll recommend for you. The Dog Whisperer; you're only in charge if you act like your in charge. Otherwise the dogs start to think they're in charge, which is bad.

The second is Bar Rescue; A frequent theme is owners letting the employee's get away with murder while they see their life's savings go down the drain. Don't let that happen to you. You don't need to be a prick but you need to be in charge. All the time.

gl

14. Likes happydude, Groovejivey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So Bootless got the boot, and the next day I shouted "free boots for all! - up to 100 bucks - this ain't a fashion show!" ----- and a great CHEER rang out in the shop. Just kidding.

I reminded everyone that they can get boots when they need it and it was covered by the shop. So far everyone is boot-happy and I'm a happydude again.

16. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So what are you just kidding about... that bootless is gone, free boots, everyone is boot happy or there is snow in Canada?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well i didn't shout that out to everyone. I just told them individually. I was being cheeky.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

sounds like he was taking the piss and needed that!

On the boots policy, if potential injury comes up in the risk assessment (which is pretty well mandatory), for the work environment, which it will - and the control measure is 'steel capped footwear' , and they aint wearing them your liable. Certainly in the UK.

I can buy very comfy, hard wearing leather safety boots or shoes for about $20/ a pair here from a local industrial supply place. No one has ever complained about them, and I wear the same ones. Every six months or so (when mine are getting a bit past broken in) I just ask the lads if they need a pair. You would have to be a complete cu*t not to supply a piece of PPE that costs the same as an hours labour! (not aimed at you Mr happydude, but anyone who has a no supply policy!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

5'2 polt fits ?