What's new
What's new

SAPA/Hydro ransomware attack

• Thread starter guest
  • Start date
  • Replies 9
  • Views 3,221
G

I just heard about this today, it's starting to affect my extrusions. Can't place any orders.

Seems that Hydro was hit with a ransomware attack, shut down their worldwide computer operations a couple weeks ago. The Portland extrusion plant is limping along with 2 presses as of this morning, all their computers are still down so nothing is getting processed...

Norsk Hydro will not pay ransom demand and will restore from backups | ZDNet

Yep time to do a back up!

I kinda dislike backup systems, i much prefer the good old reload the OS and simply be able to drop my files back into the desktop.

Tapes, automated backups etc, generally have caused more problems than they have fixes.

Also goes to show its probably best not to have every damn machine in your factory live on the same network. Or run everything on windows!

The whole networked and cloud stuff sure can have some downsides sometimes eh.
Probably wouldn't hurt if we hanged a few of the hackers who create this malware/virus crap once in a while too.

One doesn't just need backup for the ransomware threats-- just plain equipment failure will do the trick. My server died last year.... fortunately I had done the last backup the night before. Much of my software was/is 32 bit 2003 server / XP compatible in a 64 bit windows 10 world. I planned for this possibility by having a new in the box XP system sitting on the shelf "just in case".

These kind of attacks are becoming more frequent.

In December one of our best customers, a large international company, was crippled by a similar attack. Someone in their head office realised what was happening and pulled all the cables. Too late, but quick enough that their backups didn't get touched.

They were operating on paper and personal emails for about two weeks. We actually got handwritten PO's for critical parts during that time.

If they pay the ransom there is no guarantee that the problem will or even can be removed. At least low level hackers do this to individuals and folks pay the money to get their family photos back and then nothing ever happens.
Bill D.

Over 200 FBI agents to break up a "Get into any college with beeg money" ring....:nutter:

But fighting/prosecuting the real crimes ?
Nothing.

Over 200 FBI agents to break up a "Get into any college with beeg money" ring....:nutter:

But fighting/prosecuting the real crimes ?
Nothing.

If they started doing that they'd have to prosecute themselves and clean house first...
Distractions for the sheeple are easier.

Back