What's new
What's new

Payment Terms on a new piece of equipment..................

david n

Diamond
So a Y axis sub spindle lathe may finally happen here..................from what I have been seeing from various brands is that they are very willing to move iron..............most brands are offering some pretty nice discounts and are gettin' antsy to make a sale.............................every brand new hunk of iron I ever purchased was the usual 70-90% down and the rest after install............I just don't wanna do it that way anymore.............this machine needs a 20% deposit, 70% upon delivery, and net upon install. Not financing anything...................what's everyone's experience with gettin' those terms benefiting my side vs the dealer/MTB? Something like 10% down and net upon successful install? I guess all I can do is ask? Most they can say is no............................

Depends on the dealership and who owns the equipment. If the MTB owns it, they dictate terms through the dealer. Used equipment usually owned by the dealer , so more flexibility. That's my experience. As long as you are holding 10% until you are satisfied with the install, training, options, (or whatever completes the deal), usually enough to entice the dealer make sure you are satisfied. Don't accept anything damaged in transit until it is fixed to your satisfaction.

We have purchased 3 new lathes in the last few years. 30% down and balance within 30 days of delivery on two of them while the other was 10% down, 80% prior to delivery and balance 30 days.

I did 30% down and then transferred the rest when the tech left after install on my last one(I think I had 30 days but I didn't wait).
When it arrived here and was on my floor in one piece I asked if they wanted another 30-40% until the install could be completed but they said no just do the 70% when done its fine.

Ive been involved in buyoff on some REALLY expensive grinding equipment.
Was 25 down, 25 at ship, 50 at acceptance.

Thats how "I" would be comfortable doing things, but I get the feeling those are rare terms.

The worst that can happen is them coming back with different terms. Right now, even the top drawer builders are getting aggressive with the sales. Morris will finance new Okuma machines pretty readily, and Mori is getting very aggresive with financing and leasing as is Mazak. I think the hangup would be a "successful" install. You should define "successful." When I worked at Doosan we used to do installs on condition of part approval/acceptance.

Back