Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by david n View Post
    I'm fairly busy so in a way I don't care what I get for scrap...........................purchase price is down too.............so I guess I'm saving on front end and getting a little less on the backside.............basically a wash. Scrap yard got me a lugger.............they swap out every month or two or three. I don't haul anything. Local scrapper picks up my steel chips............so I don't haul those either. Solids are just gettin piled up..........cash it in someday and make the lil woman happy..............use it for a nice 2nd honeymoon..............South Pacific I think..........................
    Basically same here. Don't care about scrap I only separate stainless. Rest goes in the same container my scrap guy puts at my shop and picks up when it's full. I put all my stainless in 1000liter pallettanks and he picks thoes up aswell.

Sendt fra min EML-L29 med Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I read the following article and got all excited, as I machine more Ti than anything else.

Yeah...it’s $0.18/lbs not $6.00.

US titanium scrap prices remain steady | Metal Bulletin.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Considering that Ti costs so much to refine from ore, I don't know why scrap is so low for it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Booze Daily View Post
    I give my chips to my hillbilly neighbor.
    He'll pick up a trash can full at the shop, take it to the scrapyard and drop the empty can back off.
    Apparently a 20 mi. round trip for $8.40 is worth it to him. (.15/lb)
    This reminds me of a old timer in the shop. He was retired and would stop by and work sometimes or visit. Once I was turning some cast iron castings into finished parts and he asked for chips. He said he puts it around the base of his trees. It worked they were very nice and very green trees.

oh yeah recycling chips is a racket it seems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For an interesting historical perspective on scrap materials pricing, here's a report from almost twenty years ago, when if anything things seemed to be worse than they are now (and this was pre-9/11):

Specialty Metals: As Bad As It Gets - Recycling Today

and for a "things don't change much" reality check, this comment near the end:

He has some sympathy for the producers of scrap. “Machine shops have not come to grips with the reality of the market,” he says. “They still are cutting on expensive billets.”

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here's another link from that source. Seems like a good site to bookmark if you want "insider info" on recycling and scrap materials.

RMDAS ferrous prices decline slightly from June - Recycling Today

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have been pawing through one of the local yards since I was 15 would ride down there on my bicycle to buy stuff. about 5 years ago the owner decided it wasn't worth having walk ins because of liability and the amount of material that was going through there. there was quite a few people that would buy parts and pieces, steel at 20-30 cents per lbs and resale on ebay and other areas. he ran them all off he is now trying to actively rebuild that side of the scrap and its slow going. most of the yards in this area are now allowing people back in

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    Considering that Ti costs so much to refine from ore, I don't know why scrap is so low for it.
    For real. I think they know it’s take what you can get or throw it away...so we end up getting ripped. It’s to the point where I’m about to stop cleaning out the machines before I run Ti.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 9finger View Post
    For real. I think they know it’s take what you can get or throw it away...so we end up getting ripped. It’s to the point where I’m about to stop cleaning out the machines before I run Ti.
    My guess after reading a little more about it is that because so many Ti users have purity and alloy consistency requirements that are very high (military, medical, aerospace), that it's easier to just work from raw materials and be sure you're not getting a mix of different alloys in the feedstock.

This is where the Ti golf club boom of ~20 years ago was such a good thing for Ti producers and shops. The heads didn't care if the alloy was off much, and the demand would drive prices for scrap up. So that's where scrap went. We need a similar situation today to get value, perhaps in automotive as they ramp up carbon fiber work.

The link I posted in #45 is really good for getting the historic perspective.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    My guess after reading a little more about it is that because so many Ti users have purity and alloy consistency requirements that are very high (military, medical, aerospace), that it's easier to just work from raw materials and be sure you're not getting a mix of different alloys in the feedstock.

This is where the Ti golf club boom of ~20 years ago was such a good thing for Ti producers and shops. The heads didn't care if the alloy was off much, and the demand would drive prices for scrap up. So that's where scrap went. We need a similar situation today to get value, perhaps in automotive as they ramp up carbon fiber work.

The link I posted in #45 is really good for getting the historic perspective.
    That’s a lot smarter explanation than I had. I’m used to dealing with the worst of humanity, so I assume it’s people being crooked.

They wouldn’t even take magnesium scrap from me....so I lit 12lbs on fire in the yard. It was actually more satisfying than any scrap price I could’ve ever gotten.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They wouldn’t even take magnesium scrap from me....so I lit 12lbs on fire in the yard. It was actually more satisfying than any scrap price I could’ve ever gotten.
    You could have added Ti chips for that extra sparkle!

Has anyone made a Ti-based version of thermite? Not the guy, the burny stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    I've always said that some people work harder at not having a job (and making less money) than if they just got a damn job at McDonald's or Taco Bell for $8/hr.
    Funny though ......... in my younger days (way younger),
    I used to make damn good money on scrap. As soon as I could drive, I had a truck/trailer, and drove around to every garage I could find.
    I would take anything metal. The bulk of what I hauled was diesel pistons (from in-frame jobs, which meant I got the sleeves as well).
    And, automatic transmissions. I had to clean and separate. This meant driving the wrist pins out of the pistons, and completely disassembling the transmissions.
    Every other week (or thereabouts) I would haul a 20ft flat deck car trailer full of 55gal drums to the yard. And, come home with a handsome payday.
    But, it was hard work! My friends would get jealous. I would offer them jobs. $10/hr cash. That was good money for a 16-17yr/old in the late '80's.
    They would last 1-2 days. Of course these were the same schmucks that wouldn't bail hay for gas money either! LOL

As far as I know, scrap is still the largest industry in the world. It used to be a good way for a hard working guy to make a decent wage.
    Not anymore. I don't know the politics of it. But, I would guess the industry is doing just fine. Unlike the people feeding it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    As far as I know, scrap is still the largest industry in the world. It used to be a good way for a hard working guy to make a decent wage.
    Not anymore. I don't know the politics of it. But, I would guess the industry is doing just fine. Unlike the people feeding it.
    The last time I took a load to my local yard I spoke with some of the guys, and they tell me things are slow there too. People aren't bringing materials in due to the low prices, so it does hurt the yard as well. I'm doing cleanups as much as scrapping, so low is better than nothing.

There's been some rumblings about a recession coming, this may be one of the precursors...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    Funny though ......... in my younger days (way younger),
    I used to make damn good money on scrap. As soon as I could drive, (15-16 I am guessing) I had a truck/trailer, and drove around to every garage I could find.
    I would take anything metal. The bulk of what I hauled was diesel pistons (from in-frame jobs, which meant I got the sleeves as well).
    And, automatic transmissions. I had to clean and separate. This meant driving the wrist pins out of the pistons, and completely disassembling the transmissions.
    Every other week (or thereabouts) I would haul a 20ft flat deck car trailer full of 55gal drums to the yard. And, come home with a handsome payday.
    But, it was hard work! My friends would get jealous. I would offer them jobs. $10/hr cash. That was good money for a 16-17yr/old in the late '80's.
    They would last 1-2 days. Of course these were the same schmucks that wouldn't bail hay for gas money either! LOL

I was talking about the deadbeats stealing scrap, or breaking into places to steal copper wire/plumbing. Seems like an awful lot of work to make $.10-.20/lb!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was talking about the deadbeats stealing scrap, or breaking into places to steal copper wire/plumbing. Seems like an awful lot of work to make $.10-.20/lb!!
    There was a beautiful 1880’s brick house a few miles from my in laws that my wife and I had talked about buying and fixing up. They knew the family that owned it and it had been sitting for a couple years, none of the young kids in that farm family wanted to live in the old house, they all built new homes.

Until a bunch of nomadic crack heads stole some service vans and parked at the house for a few days and gutted it. Ripped all the wiring and pipe out.

I can’t fathom how little money they could have gotten. The wiring was still knob and tube and the pipe was still lead.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not such awful work if more money to be made.
    Suspects in custody for $1 million copper theft scheme at Buick City - mlive.com
    Note that they only cashed out a 1/4 million before getting caught.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I read the following article and got all excited, as I machine more Ti than anything else.

Yeah...it’s $0.18/lbs not $6.00.

US titanium scrap prices remain steady | Metal Bulletin.com
    Collect 40,000 lbs of electromelt grade 6/4 titanium and you too can sell it for $5.50+ / lb. Just remember...don't hit the certs right and you are out the arc melting fee and it's now worth $0.15/lb....so better make sure it's only clean bars of the same grade, none of the engine valves, turbine blades or anything from the plating industry.

It's simply a difference in grade. If you have 500+ lbs bar stock drops, you can probably sell them to a specialty alloy buyer and get 50% of $6 Ti market. If you've got 100 lbs, you get lowballed because it has to sit in other peoples inventories until they collect enough to send off..it gets shipped and handled so much that it kills the value.

18. Likes 9finger, Ox, wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    Not such a awful work if more money to be made.
    Suspects in custody for $1 million copper theft scheme at Buick City - mlive.com
    Not that they only cashed out a 1/4 million before getting caught.
    Bob
    The suspects spent the copper proceeds on Christmas gifts and vast amounts of liquor and cigarettes, Pickell said.
    Only in Flint!

But what about the lottery tickets?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Still getting $0.45/lb CAD for 316 turnings here, highest I saw earlier last year was 0.51, was $0.30 for years prior to that.
    I should probably get rid of the solids before it drops further.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SND View Post
    Still getting $0.45/lb CAD for 316 turnings here, highest I saw earlier last year was 0.51, was $0.30 for years prior to that.
    I should probably get rid of the solids before it drops further.
    Pardon me!!?
    The *$#@!%%^!! I take my 316L (with certs) has only been giving me .2 at best for the last 2 years.
    When you figure it works out to $1000 some months... seems I need to shop my scrap around.

Is there any where a fella could check to see what the mills are actually paying by grade? (Canada preferable)