Scrap VS Material prices, what are you getting/giving? - Page 7
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Back to scrap metal prices, if my memory serves me correctly it seems the value of scrap would normally bounce up and down in tune with the price for the same type material bought from a metal supplier. Of course that seems to have recently changed as scrap prices other than brass or copper seem to be as low as they have been in decades. I can remember getting $.40-$.45 a pound for aluminum solids 20 years ago, now they are $.20-$.25. Heck when I was in High School 40 years ago I would, as a rat on a budget buy $300 beater special cars and milk them along till it was time to send them to the junk yard. A junk yard 20 miles away would send a flat bed and come and pick my car up and hand me $75. Today the scrap yard 25 miles south of me pays $.03 a pound for cars and you have to deliver them. Doing the math my junkers would have got $105-$135 today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah, I would say that Fe scrap is 1/2 the value or less in relation to new bar prices as "normal".

In 2008 we hit $400 for Heavy Melt and/or Breakable Machine Cast.
    For at least one day they were even paying $450.

Today - we are up a little from the low of $145/long ton over the last qrter of '19.

I've prolly got 30 tonne, and still hoarding.
    One day it will turn around.

My 12Y "Machine shop Turnings" tub usually will fetch maybe $1600, but last go brought in only around $400 I think she said.

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

30 tons?? I probably haven't generated that much scrap since I started machining in 1979. I probably only buy a couple tons of metal a year. Of course with a lot of parts I make 100 of them could fit in your pants pockets.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My last pickup was .45/lb for aluminum solids. I give him the chips for free. He drops off empty barrels and picks up when I call.

Just paid 2.30/lb for 6061 and 2.40/lb for 303. Small order, a couple hundred pounds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just paid $2.25 for rod and $2.36 a pound for heavy flatbar 6061. 2000 lb qty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post
    Just paid $2.25 for rod and $2.36 a pound for heavy flatbar 6061. 2000 lb qty.
    Ouch. Been under $2/lb round here for some time now

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    I don't need to hear from a select few people from the left spewing their extreme hate for those that don't share their political views. A few people come from nowhere just to rip on people. Kind of like the current clown who seems to need to interject his hate for the USA and love for China in a thread about scrap metal prices.
    Speaking of current clowns, let us take three minutes out of our busy day to review the evidence :

Post # 84

Quote Originally Posted by cnctoolcat
    China is/was the largest buyer of US metal scrap. With their economy in the tank, they just haven’t been buying very much scrap, thus the prices are way down.

They are also buying a lot less from the US as a consequence of the trade war, hoping to use it as leverage.

Piss on the commie bastards...
    Post # 85

Quote Originally Posted by Milland
    It's about time we stopped using the "Commie" label - they're a dictatorship, with a managed economy and aspects of Capitalism thrown in.

Under the current leadership, add "Cult of Personality" to the lovely mix...
    Post # 86

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Grunt
    Similar to a high functioning alcoholic, they are a high functioning dictatorship, one of the highest functioning since Rome.

But as with Rome, and as with high functioning alcoholics, eventually they will crash and burn. My humble opinion, we should be divested of any foreign power that may impact our economy catastrophically should their economy collapse.
    First post by the much-hated EmanualGoldstein is ... wait for it ! # 90 !

Sorry but, in the interest of Truth, Justice, and the Jack Armstrong Legacy, it is necessary to interject a bit of fact into these stupidass claims by people such as yourself. "China is not a country" was a good one, as well as "high-functioning dictatorships always fail."

Let's take another two minutes of our precious time to examine that one - Pharaonic Egypt, 6,000 years. England as a monarchy, ~ 1,000 years. France as a monarchy, about a thousand. China (the country that does not exist) ~ 2,500 years. China (the society, as groups of slant-eyed people living in the same area of the world's surface under dynasties) ~ 4,000 years. Rome as a semi-democracy ? a couple hundred years. Rome as a kingdom or empire ? about a thousand. Athens as a democracy ? A couple hundred years. UK and France have now made maybe 200 as versions of democracies.

Our history major seems to have fallen asleep the week they covered those civilizations. Of the type that seems to fail soon, democracy comes out on top.

Sorry, guy, but it's my job. You can sneer and call names and point fingers all day long but it doesn't change facts. You are full of bull poop, I did not start the gratuitous name-calling and truth distortion in an innocent scrap price thread. Your boys did. Complain about them, Mr Hypocrite.
    Last edited by EmanuelGoldstein; 01-10-2020 at 01:03 AM.

8. Likes Ox liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just got scrap quoted @ $0.48 for extruded alum, $0.31 for alum sheet, and $0.36 for stainless. This was for larger lots ( >500# )

I just paid $2.00 for 250# 18ga #4 304

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They just picked up our dumpster.
    16,900 lbs. of steel turnings at $.01/lb.

I assume its a little low because the dumpster belongs to them and they swap it out when needed.

Sam

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    I will leave the discussion now. Cheers !
    Be a man of your word at least.

Please, don’t continue with your facts, your embarrassing yourself. But thank god, based on your timeline there aren’t any English around anymore, and thank god the French are gone, heaven forbid any Egyptians were around today, think of what the world would be like. Oh? Wait. . . You mean the people live on after the political entity governing their country fails? Huh. . . Who’d a thunk it?

Whoever so deeply insulted you in the past needs to be the one you are addressing.

On one hand you are defining a period of time based on a ethnic group of people. Yet, comparatively your using a form of government. Pick one.

Second absolutely no one but you, compared China, to anyone.

Lastly, please READ, slowly, my post. AGAIN. You have reading comprehension Difficulties. I’ll make a cliff note version, maybe that will help you understand better. China has a communist dictatorship. It will fail. No evaluation, estimation, or opinion bas been levied towards the Chinese PEOPLE, who have NOT been united for the last 6000 years, according to YOUR source YOU posted. Oh, wait, now your claiming 4000 years?

Where is your quote for “China is not a country” you missed that one. Oh, because your claiming China isn’t a country it’s a people. Ok Thor.

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    I will leave the discussion now. Cheers !
    Fantastic

12. Likes jaguar36 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Sam L View Post
    They just picked up our dumpster.
    16,900 lbs. of steel turnings at $.01/lb.

I assume its a little low because the dumpster belongs to them and they swap it out when needed.

Sam
    I am pretty sure in some areas you would have to pay to have them hauled off, unless they have been run through a chip wringer. Solid steel scrap is as low as $60 a ton in a lot of areas.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just had a dumpster delivered last month. He said it should hold 5-8 tons of steel turnings. The price has been $25/Ton for a while. Spiking to $40/Ton at some times.

HMS and Brake Rotors are getting $150-$225 still which isnt really that bad.

It cost me money at this point to bring chips to the yard. I have a chip spinner so I just spin the oil out and toss totes of steel into the dumpster. The scrap yard will take it for free at $25/Ton. If it goes up at all I will be getting a check back for a few dollars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Scrap VS Material prices, what are you getting/giving?

For the past year or so, we averaged getting $20/ton for steel chips.

However, the last check I got the other day from Omnisource was for $50/ton, a nice raise!

(It has been as high as $150/ton a few years back when chips were hot.)

For the Cathouse, Omnisource provides the 10-yard hopper, and does not charge a haul fee. When we’re rolling good here, my two guys can fill the hopper in about 3 weeks.

ToolCat

16. Likes SND liked this post
    Country
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fal Grunt View Post
    Be a man of your word at least.
    Wasn't talking to you, Bubba. Ox asked a question.

You can go back under your bridge now.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Has anyone bought steel tubing lately? I'm going to need a bunch soon. Square tubing, 2x2, 3x3ish size range, A500.

Steel scrap around here is like everywhere else: free disposal. $30/ton for prepared, $10/ton for unprepared.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Huh???

My local yard's cheat sheet says $145 for unprepared structural.
    (Still werking from November sheet, but it should be double that)

From all the postings on this subject from all over North America, and from my own experience when looking to scrap a machine in Kansas City 10 years ago, it seems that once you git very far from the steel mill belt, that the price drops out quickly. More quickly than the cost of freight.

I had a truck load in KC, Missouri and it paid $200/ton more here than there. It cost me $100/ton to truck it. Doesn't take long to doo that math.

I'm thinking that if I lived in many of your areas that I might be disposed to buy scrap and truck it to Chi-Town, Detroit, Cleveland, etc...
    Like Owatonna is all that far from Gary, Indiana?

-------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

20. Likes SND liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Crazy, isn't it? I should mention that those prices have been in effect since October, and were still being offered the last time I was there in early December.

They were paying around $75/ton prepared, $35/ton unprepared most of the summer.

img_20191203_154912793-2.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

160pt short steel here. Cans suck, stainless sucks.

Shaw's Wrecking Yard LLC

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This week I was quoted:

brass chips $1.55/lb
    aluminum solids $0.36/lb
    stainless chips $0.27/lb

Any thoughts whether these prices are fair?

Country
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wmpy View Post
    Any thoughts whether these prices are fair?
    What can you do if they aren't ?