Scrap VS Material prices, what are you getting/giving? - Page 9
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My scrap isn't typically metal, I run mostly plastic and wood products. I have asked the local plastics vendor about the chips and was told there wasn't really anyone that wanted it. I didn't investigate any further so almost everything goes in the dumpster. The tiny bit of metal that I have gets tossed in a pile behind the shop in the alley and eventually it disappears. I used to save it and take it in. I don't recall once in the 20+ years of taking things to the local scrap yard ever getting my gas money back. If I take something to them it is to just get it out of the way as it won't fit in the dumpster.

I have done alot of work for the different wood shops in my area and it is very similar situation as you guys have. The only possible outlet they have for someone buying wood chips is the guys supplying chips/shavings to horse people. It has to be sorted as Walnut is poisonous to horses. For them that means when they run walnut they have to go swap trailers out under the dust collector. It has also went from getting a little money for the chips to just being hopeful that the guys will haul it off for free. Otherwise they are paying huge amounts to WCA or the like to haul it off. One customer of mine has 4 molders and a rip saw etc and they typically fill a 24ft enclosed trailer in 1 week. That's blown in and settled.

There is a pallet mfg company close that has a couple acres of wood chips piled up in small mountains because no one wants it. I have asked about making it into pellets to use as heat and here our energy prices aren't high enough (yet) to justify the expense of making the pellets and modifying the heating system to use them. At least that is what they told me...

For now I am not running enough stuff through the shop to really have to add anything to the quote spreadsheet to account for extra waste removal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

well, you can't trust a scrap dealer as far as you can puke. The $.31/lb I was quoted for 6061 chips turned out to be pure horse shit.
    Long story short, it's more like $.12

3. Likes Ox, SND, Mud liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Dickman View Post
    well, you can't trust a scrap dealer as far as you can puke. The $.31/lb I was quoted for 6061 chips turned out to be pure horse shit.
    Long story short, it's more like $.12
    Where are you shopping for prices. Is there still 3 scrap dealers in Pomona/Ontario and two in Riverside?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    Where are you shopping for prices. Is there still 3 scrap dealers in Pomona/Ontario and two in Riverside?
    I don't know where any of these guys are out of. Unless they come to this area on a regular basis, they say they can't afford the fuel to come down here

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    they dudded me a whole big bin load ,20 ton approx ,for which I got zero ,cause they claimed it was lost in transit.
    how'd they "lose" a 20t scrap bin? It's not like it could get misplaced behind a tree or fall behind the couch!

last time I took a bike load to the scrap yard I got (from memory): 30c/lb for an alloy wheel, 20c/lb alloy scrap, 1c/lb or thereabouts for tin shreds. Lead acid batteries are 25c/lb. Bought some stainless and alloy scrap (some bar, sheet and a hand sized chunk of mystery ss) for 50c/lb. I think I came out $5 and a happy hour and a half rummaging around the scrap yard.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    how'd they "lose" a 20t scrap bin? It's not like it could get misplaced behind a tree or fall behind the couch!

last time I took a bike load to the scrap yard I got (from memory): 30c/lb for an alloy wheel, 20c/lb alloy scrap, 1c/lb or thereabouts for tin shreds. Lead acid batteries are 25c/lb. Bought some stainless and alloy scrap (some bar, sheet and a hand sized chunk of mystery ss) for 50c/lb. I think I came out $5 and a happy hour and a half rummaging around the scrap yard.
    You got murdered on the tin, unless you meant $1/lb and even then you got shorted. Unless there's no market for tin scrap, last I checked it was worth more than copper.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Think he means light MS baling scrap.Ally has crashed ,just a matter of hanging on till prices rise....ally has an intrinsic value of around 60c of lekky per Lb to make ,so it cant stay low forever.Anyway ,my min sale on cast ally with cut steel studs is 50c/lb ,and extruded clean sheet is $1 ,but I can near always sell sheet to endusers if its not too damaged........anyhoo ,its Chinese NewYear and scrap prices are always reckoned to rise after chinese newyear.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OOh...looks like the new sars like coronavirus is giving the scrap market the jitters.Got an email from the locals that all standing scrap payment rates are cancelled as of 5 am this day.If the Chinese cant controll this virus,its gunna rip thru Africa and India where officialdom has a tenuous grip.

10. Likes SND liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Got rid of some duplex today, 1/2 the price what I got last time. Place was a lot cleaner and emptier than usual(or that I can ever remember) so I asked what's up, "dead slow" so cleaning up.

Maybe people are all holding onto their scrap until it goes back up again, but that could take a while between the coronavirus affecting production in many countries now, and here the trains being blocked for the past week or so thanks to the climate protesters/freeloaders shutting down rails and affecting ports too.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SND View Post
    and here the trains being blocked for the past week or so thanks to the climate protesters/freeloaders shutting down rails and affecting ports too.
    Hey ! Truedope has got your back...no worries eh..

13. Likes SND liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SND View Post
    Got rid of some duplex today, 1/2 the price what I got last time. Place was a lot cleaner and emptier than usual(or that I can ever remember) so I asked what's up, "dead slow" so cleaning up.

Maybe people are all holding onto their scrap until it goes back up again, but that could take a while between the coronavirus affecting production in many countries now, and here the trains being blocked for the past week or so thanks to the climate protesters/freeloaders shutting down rails and affecting ports too.
    The stupidity continues to grow. . .

I suppose I am wrong, but I thought that a modern diesel electric locomotive burns significantly LESS diesel than the comparative number of trucks needed to move the same freight over the same distance.

I suppose now with the new “eco” semi’s getting less mileage than the slightly older “evil” diesels, they burn even more fuel? Which in turn would make the railroads a even BETTER environmental choice than trucks?

15. Likes Ox, Garwood liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fal Grunt View Post

I suppose I am wrong, but I thought that a modern diesel electric locomotive burns significantly LESS diesel than the comparative number of trucks needed to move the same freight over the same distance.

I suppose now with the new “eco” semi’s getting less mileage than the slightly older “evil” diesels, they burn even more fuel? Which in turn would make the railroads a even BETTER environmental choice than trucks?
    CSX has that advert:
    "A ton of freight, 500 miles, on 1 gallon of fuel"
    CSX TV Commercial, '500 miles' - iSpot.tv

17. Likes SND liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fal Grunt View Post

Oh its worse than that, they're blocking the trains in order to protest the construction of the Coastal Gaslink Natural Gas pipeline, meant to export gas, you know, the stuff that pays for a lot of the freeloaders.... and then we have some paid protesters in the mix(NGO's eh), because I guess China burning coal for electricity is better... and that's after years of governments getting in the way.

Then they wonder why a lot of companies are pulling out of Canada and investing elsewhere.

As to the scrap thing, I guess I'll be keeping solids and the fancier turnings like inco for a while.

19. Likes Fal Grunt, macds, digger doug liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The "Childrens Crusade"....and we are the Saracens destroying the Holy Land......Evil politicians are exploiting this mass hysteria ,and its all set to get worse....Politics is now about buying votes off no hopers with the money of workers and savers.

21. Likes SND liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lugger was just swapped out last Friday...................holdin' at 12¢/lb......................that's what I got the last two times. Better than a poke in the eye......................I guess? .................If this Chicom bat plague keeps gettin' hyped, I may soon be payin' for them to take it...........

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Be Happy they are open and receiving.

I have scrap piling up the wazoo as they are closed by me. Never thought that was going to be a problem...didn't think alot of things were going to be a problem...

I have been corrected.

24. Likes Garwood, Dualkit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SIM View Post
    Be Happy they are open and receiving.

I have scrap piling up the wazoo as they are closed by me. Never thought that was going to be a problem...didn't think alot of things were going to be a problem...

I have been corrected.
    The post before David's is from 2/19/20. Look at how much our world has changed in that bit over a month's time. Might as well been a big meteor strike...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    The post before David's is from 2/19/20. Look at how much our world has changed in that bit over a month's time. Might as well been a big meteor strike...

You ain't kidding!

Had someone told me a few weeks ago the US would be on lockdown with non essential business shut, National Guard called in, Medical Camps set up in Central Park and the Navy, Comfort docked in Manhatten to be used as an overflow...I be thinking they are a few card short of a full deck.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

only demand is for cat converters ...never been higher .....previously the scrappies here had a deal with the cops not to buy from walkins....not now....get set for the crime wave ,dont park your car in a carpark.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    only demand is for cat converters ...never been higher .....previously the scrappies here had a deal with the cops not to buy from walkins....not now....get set for the crime wave ,dont park your car in a carpark.
    Hmm - that's interesting. Just because it's the most convenient precious metal, or some other reason (Pt needed for medical uses??).

(I found this: Catalytic converter theft: hybrid car owners face insurance nightmare | Money | The Guardian)