Seattle, Are You Still Alive? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Where I live, there are several pretty large shops that work on airplanes in general- plus some direct Boeing subs. Janicki does tooling work for both Boeing and Airbus, and say they have enough work to keep everybody thru the end of the year, but after that, if there is no new orders, they are starting to lay off. Several companies do interiors here, and they are pretty dead. I once rode shared taxi with a guy up in Bellingham who has a company that fire tests airplane interior parts- my guess is he is probably closed.

Many of the shops around here started as Boeing subs, 20 or 40 years ago, but have diversified- but everything is slow. Shipbuilding is way down, we have around 20 yards building everything from kayaks to 300 foot oceangoing ships- and lots of layoffs there.

Amazon is hiring, though.
    My son works for microsoft- they are all working from home, so few layoffs there.
    Total Boeing employment here has fallen from the gravy years- in the late 90s, there were 100,000 employees of Boeing in Wa state, but last year, before the virus, we were down to about 70,000, and right now, I believe only 30k to 40k are working.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's a good point about the interior companies, I didn't even think about that. Luckily I'm doing structural stuff now, but at one of the job shops I worked at probably 80% of the work we did was for interiors. There are some big companies here whose business model is designing complete interior upgrades/retrofits and selling them to the airlines. They must be hurting right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    Do you jack the quote up for giving interest free loans?
    Absolutely. We have one where we have to give 90 day terms so we increased our mark up by say 10%. Big win for us....the logic was most little guys wouldn't put up with it and most big guys aren't in the down and dirty end of the price pool, so we should be able to charge more.

There's some weeny in treasury somewhere all proud about how he saved the company 1/4% by being tough on vendors, meanwhile they never notice or factor in their costs went up 10%
    Last edited by Mcgyver; 05-30-2020 at 09:10 AM.

4. Likes Ox, Trueturning, Philabuster, anht liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Are we still alive in Seattle? Check back in a year, we'll know more then.

It rains all the time in Seattle, always has, always will. The big difference between back in the day and now is Seattle is now raining money with all the high tech.

Maybe 20% of newcomers in our 100 year old neighborhood are here for the high tech. Mention Boeing to them, "Boeing, oh yeah, that company in the south end that builds airplanes".

Boeing is still the largest employer in the state, a 10% cutback in years past would have been devastating to the local economy. For sure we'll feel some pain with the double whammy of the 737 and the virus related non-flying public.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by morsetaper2 View Post
    ... My Post #16 from above....

My BIL works at Boeing (Everett). Works in commercial, upgrades & retrofits. He is a long time employee and is walking on eggshells. There is a large layoff looming that will hit in a few days. BIL is married to my sister (duh), who was layed-off from Starbucks HQ. Now if Dan looses his job at Boeing, the two of them unemployed, they are really going to be hit hard.
    Well my BIL's group has been broken up. He got word yesterday. Fortunately, he is being reassigned to another area. He is relieved to still have a job.
    Last edited by morsetaper2; 05-30-2020 at 01:20 PM.

7. Likes Ox, TeachMePlease, Oldwrench liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I read somewhere that 737 Max production is starting again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Boeing pays there workers a vary well and they have always been a company that bounces up and down, I have been in the machinist trade for 37 years just outside of seattle and anyone that goes to work there and has a brain should fully understand that its not a life long job for most of there employees. There is two types of machinists in this area , ones that do Boeing work and ones like my self that don`t want anything to do with it . I have seen a ton of shops around me try and make money producing Boeing parts and everyone of them has closed in under a few years ,,

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The morning paper mentions 5,000 Boeing machinist union members will lose their jobs. That doesn't mean they're all "real" machinists. Union membership covers many who don't actually run machines.

In my experience, machinists at the "Lazy B" who actually run machines may have a hard time finding comparable jobs outside the company. The ones who came to me in years past looking for jobs were very specialized on certain machines, not people with a variety of skills. They also seemed most interested in whether I could match their Boeing wages and benefits.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Like all corporations, Boeing's ultimate mission is to make profit for the shareholders....not to provide as many high-paying jobs as possible.

There's a reason Boeing has been sub-contracting out more-and-more of their work, and setting up shop in non-union places like Charleston, SC.

Union jobs are fantastic...until they disappear.

12. Likes SND, Mcgyver, digger doug, Oldwrench, Jashley73 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Maybe they need to find that billboard that said "Will the last person to leave Seattle please turn the lights off". This was put up when the SST (Supersonic Transport) contract was cancelled back about 1971 or so. About the only thing that "stuck around" for a while was the NBA team (Seattle Supersonics), until it when to Oklahoma.

The Dude

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Why rent a lear when you can rent a 747 for the same rate....
    Fuel burn.
    Landing fees
    Choice of suitable runways
    Need of "Heavy" category ATP rated krew as are type & revision current to drive the bus.

There's more, LOTS more. Don't even think about what it takes for prep and preflight..

..but that's plenty for anyone but Air Force Pelosi flying on "OPM".

Our "Other People's Money", actually.

15. Likes empwoer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by D.D.Machine View Post
    Boeing pays there workers a vary well and they have always been a company that bounces up and down, I have been in the machinist trade for 37 years just outside of seattle and anyone that goes to work there and has a brain should fully understand that its not a life long job for most of there employees. There is two types of machinists in this area , ones that do Boeing work and ones like my self that don`t want anything to do with it . I have seen a ton of shops around me try and make money producing Boeing parts and everyone of them has closed in under a few years ,,
    As you say. anything to do with the aerospace trades will definitely not be a lifetime pursuit. I worked in aerospace for some 19 years. Due to program cutbacks, I had the honor of being laid off from Rocketdyne, North American Aviation, Litton Industries and Rockwell International. It got to be nerve wracking as I had a hen and three little chickens to house and buy chicken feed for.

I got out of it by working toward a professional degree with a license and then went sole proprietor.

Aerospace was fun at first, until the layoffs started.

17. Likes Trueturning, empwoer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    .... Don't even think about what it takes for prep and preflight..

..but that's plenty for anyone but Air Force Pelosi flying on "OPM".

Our "Other People's Money", actually.

Pelosi ain't the only one. Congress does, as does the White House. As do I, when I fly standby.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by neilho View Post
    Pelosi ain't the only one.
    "Only?" Hardly. How about we settle for "most visibly malicious abuser of power and privilege?"

Helluva lot more to that than wasting the USAF budget. Her junkets are only one small part of her habit of public gloating over it all.

Recall the exchange? "Equal in power to the President?"

She didn't respond: "OUR Legislative and Judical BRANCHES are meant to be equally balanced with the Executive BRANCH.

She responded:

"The Constitution says I AM"

That was on live camera. Matter of record. Check it out.

She. Personally. Individually. Her own sole and only self. Not even her one HOUSE of the two that comprise Congress in their many member total.

And believes she can, and WILL.. PROVE it so!

Sick puppy, that one.

Very!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    "Only?" Hardly. How about we settle for "most visibly malicious abuser of power and privilege?"
    As compared to Trump?

...Helluva lot more to that than wasting the USAF budget. Her junkets are only one small part of her habit of public gloating over it all.
    Ditto

...Sick puppy, that one.

Very!
    Ditto.

She's sicker than Trump? Why bother even trying that sell? Her mud is muddier than his mud?

Standard behavior of the powerful. If we're lucky, they'll fight to a standoff.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Seattle occupy if left to fester would/might grow to take over the whole town even the state…bullies in charge and citizens not as well armed…l likely bad guys will think it cool and join the forces of crazy guys who like that sort of thing. George Soros may fund such activities. He could become the king of the new country… Sorosia.

Washington state
    Washington Profile

22. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This Seattle thing...effective diffusing...or thin edge of the wedge? It sort of reminds me of Caracas's "peace zones", areas officialdom abandon that are essentially now fiefdoms run by sociopath gang leaders. Only a fool wants freedom - i.e. no rules, anarchy and allowing those fools to have their way is 100% wrong and unfair the the rest of the population and property owners.

I suppose its best we are not shooting our citizens, however this idea of lawbreaking not being dealt because an element is politically charged makes me see red. Happens over and over here with aboriginal groups, or for that matter even a lot of strikes...Whatever your beef, that's your thing and plesae, peacefully protest away....but it should never ever be allowed to openly break laws or impair someone's rightful passage on a public or private thoroughfares. That should be quickly ended no matter what. Makes me embarrassed they way my country doesn't handle it.

24. Likes Ox, mc3608 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I cannot believe how the mayor is doing nothing about an occupying group of anarchists. A lot of Democrats have definitely went off the deep end. It blows my mind how so many of them do not care about businesses being destroyed, damaged, or forced to shut down due to the "peaceful protestors."

26. Likes Mcgyver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    It blows my mind how so many of them do not care about businesses being destroyed, damaged, or forced to shut down due to the "peaceful protestors."
    This is crux of it, they place concern about themselves and not wanting negative PR over there duty to protect their citizens. If there was one person/business/property owner caught up in it this who still want to live in a law abide USA....there should be no hesitation or restriction on force toward ending it. Same here groups when here illegally blockade roads or rail lines and shut down economies for weeks or even months. imo it's about principles, and flushing them shakes to the core the notion of being proud of your country.

28. Likes Ox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Aviation, from one end to the other, is controlled by a large pair of gates. The control of the gates is passed from one entity to the other at irregular times and places. If one makes their living, or wishes to make their living in the industry, it is vitally important to avoid being crushed when the gates swing shut.