What's new
What's new

Securing Short Run / Small Order Contracts

HiltzMachining

Plastic
Hello all!

I am new to this forum and have done some searching through old threads in an attempt to avoid being redundant, but would still like to post this topic.

I currently have a small shop where I produce a Patented Motorcycle Accessory that I sell online and locally. I also take in some repair work jobs. I do this part time and have a M-F job that pays my bills. I am interested in increasing what I do at my shop, as I am breaking ground this Spring on a new building. I operate under an LLC.

I have absolutely no experience in searching for, securing, or bidding for jobs online. I wish they would have taught at least a class on proprietorship in Trade School, or given some time to securing contracts for a business.

I would like to target small production lathe work. Short run / small jobs.

What are some resources and steps I could take to learn more about this process? I believe that until I learn more about sourcing contracts making bids etc., I will not be able to grow.

Thank you for your time. It is appreciated.

Good luck. That is the single hardest part of running a job-shop.
"boots on pavement" if you don't already have a network, there are really only two ways to get clients:
Either they find you, or you find them.

I think this has been hashed over dozens of times. As for online quoting jobs it isn't rocket science, it is all trial and error. First if you are starting out and don't have any special skills or equipment you are going to have lots of people bidding the same jobs you are and the more competition the lower you will have to go on the hourly rate to land the job. In other words if you have a set minimum shop rate you are willing to work for and it is over a twelve pack an hour don't waste your time bidding a job anybody with a $500 manual beater lathe and 3 months experience can make. If I were you I would look to expand your motorcycle parts business, nothing like making your own products.

If I were you I would look to expand your motorcycle parts business, nothing like making your own products.

This is the right answer. ^

Job shop work is a grind. You're competing against those who have the latest and greatest, which is tough to do unless you also have the latest and greatest, and the efficiency that goes with it.

You're already behind the 8 ball on competing job shops - you'll be paying more for the material just because your annual order amount is lower. And that's just one aspect. It's not impossible, but it's a tough row to hoe. Read Wheelieking's thread down in the show off your shop section, if you want a good idea of what you're getting into.

That said, if you really want short run machine work, get manual milling capacity too, and go talk to fabrication shops.

I run a small fabrication shop, and in the instances that I need something machined, I go to a local guy who runs a small shop behind his house after his day job (machinist for major airline). He's got a few different manual lathes and mills and works in the afternoons and evenings. The big fabrication job shop in town gave me his info - he does all of their machining - and they're big enough to keep him pretty busy. It'll mostly be simple, loose tolerance manual stuff (bushings and standoffs and whatnot), so expect to be turning the handles more than programming, but it'll pay the bills. In many cases, we'll provide material, too, so you won't really have to chase down little parts of this and that.

Get some business cards made, and leave them at various fab shops.

I currently have a small shop where I produce a Patented Motorcycle Accessory that I sell online and locally.

I would like to target small production lathe work. Short run / small jobs.

Let's see this "Patented Motorcycle Accessory" and you tell us what
kind of machining capability you currently posses.

Back