What's new
What's new

Seeking Freelance CAD Designer

boosted

Stainless
Anybody ever have a good experience hiring somebody to do design work for them? I'm looking for a recommendation, and really don't know where to start.

One of my customers has a seemingly endless supply of custom hot rod parts that they want machined. It's not just brackets on cocktail napkin sketches, but foam or cardboard mock-ups, with a lot of lofted surfaces, embossed logos, etc... They have no problem paying for me to engineer this stuff, it's just that I hate doing complex CAD work, and have zero artistic creativity.

Would love to find a way to offload this part of the job to somebody better suited for it.

I would contact your local community college, and ask for the cad dept.

Either the instructor would take on the extra work, or direct you to a promising student.

Just a thought.

Agree with above.

it sounds like your not really looking for a full blown designer,
rather a self sufficient detailer/modeler.

My son lives in Oregon and does freelance design/CAD. BSME and masters in robotic engineering from OSU

PM me with your contact info and I'll pass it on

Rob

I do a good bit of this nowadays. I especially enjoy working with design to manufacture considerations (can this part be made, on what machine(s), could it be simplified to make manufacture cheaper, etc.) and aesthetics.

I actually just walked in the door coming from a customer's site (high end custom knife maker). It is fun to sit down (in person or over phone/video conference) and go through a design - loft this, blend this with this other area, etc.

Drop me a PM if you'd like to go through a trial part to see if we work well together.

Anybody ever have a good experience hiring somebody to do design work for them? I'm looking for a recommendation, and really don't know where to start.

One of my customers has a seemingly endless supply of custom hot rod parts that they want machined. It's not just brackets on cocktail napkin sketches, but foam or cardboard mock-ups, with a lot of lofted surfaces, embossed logos, etc... They have no problem paying for me to engineer this stuff, it's just that I hate doing complex CAD work, and have zero artistic creativity.

Would love to find a way to offload this part of the job to somebody better suited for it.

Have you checked out Upwork? It's a good marketplace to hire freelancers. They have CAD Designers of all abilities and pricing. You can localize your search and search reviews/references for that individual as well to make sure you're hiring a skilled individual. If you're looking for a good place to get started, I'd recommend starting here. Best of luck!

The talent you need. The flexibility you want. | Upwork

Im simply going to post here to let you know I'm PM'ing you.

Ive done some work for a simply fantastic designer.
Honestly, the shit this guy comes up with is obscene.

Just know, if you cant push a regular industrial designer into changing his mind, you'll be screwed into what this cat comes up with.

I hate to give up work, but this guy is good.

Back