Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
    They are going to have to redo it.

Yards from the beginning of the street is a brilliant system, I think
    Eliminates all the '11A' and some of the '11R'
    Can be modified for historical numbers
    Fire House would be 1001, house on the next block 2201 or something.
    You should see what they do in New Mexico. Place I used to work had piles of
    stationary, and business cards and pamphlets, and they couldn't use them because
    the county came along and renumbered all the streets. They went from 406 to 285.

A girl I know lived at a corner, and they even changed the street she was on.

When I moved into this shop, it was hell getting deliveries and services setup,
    it had 4 different #'s. 1011, 1101, 149xx and 144xx.

A few years back the country decided to randomly change our house address from
    9220 to 9250, but of course they didn't tell anybody and nobody noticed until
    the bank got a property tax bill for the wrong address. That took a while to
    straighten out.

And don't even get me started on the mail thing. They can't just use the
    street address if you are on a rural route. My mailing address is HC 31 Box 500,
    that is the address of my mail box sitting right in front of my building.
    It used to be HCR 31 Box 500, and then they randomly changed it to just HC,
    and that caused a whole bunch of other mailing problems.

Then try explaining that my street address(at home) is Las Cruces, but I don't
    live in Las Cruces. Its all so confusing.

2. Likes dalmatiangirl61 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

4. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GrantA View Post
    all the carriers have stepped up their inspection game so it's important to put an accurate weight, nmfc number and dimensions on the BOL and make sure the receiver notes any potential damages when signing for it.
    -Grant
    I've had reps give me a nmfc # and then play dumb when it's "wrong". (several times)

nmfc #s are apparently the most secret thing around... there isn't a published list customers can use, apparently a rep has to pay for the list, and the list changes often.

I think they want to go to bat for the customer sometimes....but can't.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Shipping companies "New" way of doing business, I call it a scam

Quote Originally Posted by jamscal View Post
    I've had reps give me a nmfc # and then play dumb when it's "wrong". (several times)

nmfc #s are apparently the most secret thing around... there isn't a published list customers can use, apparently a rep has to pay for the list, and the list changes often.

I think they want to go to bat for the customer sometimes....but can't.
    Yeah I keep hoping one day ltl freight will just go off dimensional or actual weight whichever is greater. Then we'll all be negotiating for a higher dim factor lol. Nmfc numbers do get edited, I get info every so often that I have to scan through to see if any of my regular customers are affected. Once I was bitten hard by some.filters being changed from 70 to density based which ended up being class 300 I think, that one stung a little. It's an ever-changing game!

Shoot me a message if you'd like me to lookup anything and I can send you screenshots of current nmfc info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm continually amazed by how backwards the freight system is. It's like using McMaster Carr without the web page, good customer service, or time delivery. Then you get to play Who's On First every time you call them to straighten something out. In different roles in my life I've worked with lawyers at times and freight companies at others. The lawyers might be better at emptying your pockets, but freight companies are a close second, and manage to cause more stress than their blood sucking cousins.

Can anyone actually explain the purpose of the freight classification system? Size, density, and would you like this insured seems to work for all of the parcel carriers. I understand there are a couple extra things like do not stack*, are there any nasty chemicals inside, etc. If the freight companies were using the different costs to handle liability I could see that, but their terms all specify nothing more than a minor pittance for liability anyways. As far as I can tell it exists either because "We've always done it that way" or so they can screw people at will. Some days medical billing is more transparent.

*Last time I sent a do not stack I arrived at the freight terminal to find a propane grill stacked on top. The legs let it go nicely around the cardboard pyramid on top. Of course it was just an accident and in no way was the "do not stack" charge refundable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GrantA View Post
    Yeah I keep hoping one day ltl freight will just go off dimensional or actual weight whichever is greater.
    Which, thank God, is pretty much how it works here in Australia.

Every time I read one of these freight threads from the USA I think 'Really?? You guys put up with *that* shit??'

I just tell them dimensions, best estimate of weight, whether it's palleted/crated and declare there's no dangerous goods/chemicals. Get a quote, done.

Of course if you're ever stupid enough to freight something *without* getting a quote first - look out. It's going to hurt.

PDW

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PDW View Post
    <snip>
    Every time I read one of these freight threads from the USA I think 'Really?? You guys put up with *that* shit??'
    <snip>
    Sorry, I misread “freight” as “healthcare” for a moment there.

10. Likes Milland, mountie, Greg White, charlie gary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JS View Post
    Anyone try u ship?
    I have used them several times with no issues. Last shipment used them, and picked YRC freight. YRC kept saying they were coming out that day and gave a time frame, but never did. Wasted a lot of time waiting on them. After a week, they finally picked it up. Had a bad feeling that it wouldn't make it to its destination, but it did.

The think I do like about uShip, is they class it based on dimensions and weight, just need to make sure those are right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 9100 View Post
    I suspect that one of the reasons trucking companies do that is that most of the time they can get away with it.
    In this case, yes;

Interesting Toyota found they were getting dbl billed for shipping, to the tune of $800,000.

From a case study:
    Elimination of duplicate freight billings. Sharper visibility into freight and billing information has allowed Toyota to identify inefficiencies and eliminate excessive costs. In one particular case, the company realized that it had paid a freight bill worth $800,000 twice — an amount that the company was able to fully recover because of Brio.
    Remarks by the professor and business students indicated it was commonplace.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I hate the freight world, flatbed drivers the most.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SamH View Post
    The think I do like about uShip, is they class it based on dimensions and weight, just need to make sure those are right.
    pffft they use ltl carriers. If you think for a minute they won't come back to you for more money if they get dinged with a higher class I'll sell ya some oceanfront property in Arizona
    I deal with all the ltl carriers every day, their game changes every day it's a matter of trying to stay educated and if you're shopping to customers marking up enough to start a coffee can for when something does go wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk