Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good write up Mud.

The one I ran, poured the "syrup" out like a 1/4" dia stream.
    So you would take a box, and pour some in (counting off the seconds helps
    to keep from overfilling)
    Set the gun down (we had a holder that had a trough filled with chemicals
    to keep the end clean) and spool off some plastic sheeting, lay that down
    in the box, on top of the expanding foam.

Put the part in another piece of plastic sheeting (swadle it like an infant)

Set that on top of the plastic sheeting (thats sitting on the foam in the box)

Another piece of sheeting, push down in around part, bring sides up out
    of the box.

Some more foam, set gun down, and come back and fold plastic sheeting in on hot
    expanding foam. fold box ears on top to hold.

Have a box fan blowing across the work station, the fumes from the hot rising
    foam are not good to breath.

As it is much like "Can foam" don't wear any good clothes when using it,
    and gloves would be nice (as mentioned above) as it does not come off.

2. Likes Mud liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

IMHO this whole subject is ass about face, why are none of the carriers any were offering a decent delicate goods service? Ever more stuff is ever more valuable and delicate, yet the courier business still treats it like moving sacks of coal. There is no reason why that $40 in packaging could not go into just a little more pay and actually treat the deliveries like the valuable items most of them are.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I get a smile when ever I see car tires on a UPS truck..
    all they do is slap a label on the OD of the tire.

How could you hurt a car tire ?

By throwing them across the room into a truck ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I still think it is funny that they call it packing peanuts. It is really just a replacement for popcorn which is what used to be used. Popcorn is easier to store, cheaper and all around better but the lawyers made people stop using it. They thought Jr would eat it and get sick with brain damage. So much for environmental friendly. Seems like someone would go back to popcorn and use it as a green selling point. Maybe your company can sell the carbon offset?
    Bill D.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob F. View Post
    I am considering buying a 11" dia cast iron ball (125lb crane ball) across the country. My worry is there will be no box left after a few transfers, the 125 ball will grind the box to shreds. Shipper wants to put in a single layer cardboard box. Wood box made of 2x12's was what I suggested to him.
    125 Lb cast iron ball in single layer of cardboard, it will not make it past the first sorting. If I was shipping that I would build a wood crate at least half diameter high, toss it on standard pallet, bolt to pallet, maybe something to hold ball in box, and ship freight.

United Parcel Smashers has gotten pricey on heavy and over-dimension stuff, had an order earlier this year, less than 40 lbs, but bulky, it was cheaper to ship freight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dalmatiangirl61 View Post
    125 Lb cast iron ball in single layer of cardboard, it will not make it past the first sorting. If I was shipping that I would build a wood crate at least half diameter high, toss it on standard pallet, bolt to pallet, maybe something to hold ball in box, and ship freight.

United Parcel Smashers has gotten pricey on heavy and over-dimension stuff, had an order earlier this year, less than 40 lbs, but bulky, it was cheaper to ship freight.
    My first thought was a small pallet/box like you describe to go through fastenal. Turns out fastenal will not ship INTO California or Nevada, the trucks coming in are all "at capacity" is the reason I was given. Guy selling had a shipping quote and it seemed high to him.... I will look into that next.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have actually gained work because of how I package parts. One of my customers used to have a few shops making parts for them. They said my parts always arrived intact and never any loss due to a box breaking open or crushed. They had tried to get the other shops to follow my lead but to no avail. Eventually they just pulled all of the work form the other guys and gave it all to me. (It helped too though, my parts had lower scrap rates).

I spend quite a bit of coin on packaging materials. Now I'm a small one man band and about once or twice a year I order up a large pallet of various boxes, tape, heavy mill stretch wrap, cardboard sheet, bags, etc. I have various thickness sheets of polystyrene sheet on hand for filler. Heavy packaging paper. Light tissue paper to wrap/protect parts. Rolls of various sized plastic netting. Piles of old newspapers. Sheets of OSB and various boards to make crates/boxes. I always plan for the worst case scenario in shipping and over package/protect. Seems like overkill, but it has paid me back over the years with zero wrecked parts and customer complaints.

9. Likes otrlt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My first thought was a small pallet/box like you describe to go through fastenal. Turns out fastenal will not ship INTO California or Nevada, the trucks coming in are all "at capacity" is the reason I was given. Guy selling had a shipping quote and it seemed high to him.... I will look into that next.
    I've never used Fastenal, inquired a few times but just no luck. Try Freightquote and U-ship, the later typically takes a bit longer to setup, but can be much less costly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Heres a pic of my instapak Packtiger. Many different manufacturers of this type of paper roll machine. You can get them cheap on ebay/Clist as they are normally setup to use expensive proprietary dual layer paper rolls that are a weird width (in this case 29"). I modified this one so it uses two separate rolls. I buy 60" rolls in bulk and just saw the rolls to size on my marvel saw. This way you can change the roll thickness depending on how hard the paper worms need to be. Two rolls are 1/4 the price of a single factory roll of the same length.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tiger.jpg   tiger2.jpg  

12. Likes otrlt liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am considering buying a 11" dia cast iron ball (125lb crane ball) across the country. My worry is there will be no box left after a few transfers, the 125 ball will grind the box to shreds. Shipper wants to put in a single layer cardboard box. Wood box made of 2x12's was what I suggested to him.
    I just thought of something.

have seller procure qty (2) old car tires (maybe 15", the wider the better)

Lay first tire down, lay headache ball across the hole, the ears for the cables
    should be on the side walls.

Drill 1/2" hole thru sidewall, stick bolt up thru sidewall, and thru lug on ball.

Set other tire one top, transfer holes thru sidewall of this one.

Reach inside top tire, affix nut & washer

So you should have your headache ball suspended between 2 tires, covered on all sides.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post

I lost one reg 8 cube box of SS solid SS parts once. 2 of the boxes made it, but #3 pulled a Garbo from the belt line in Warren. Since then I have stocked custom sized boxes that just fit inside a reg 8 cube. Most anything that goes UPS of any weight will git double boxed.

This solved most of my issues. But I did lose one shipment this summer, but bless their hearts, UPS at least put somebody else's parts back in the box before they delivered it.
    That is the only box that I can think of that I have shipped out of here that has not arrived intact since I started the double boxing - almost 20 yrs ago.

It jist dawned on me that both of those shipments were SS.

I will try to consider that when shipping in the future.
    There must be some wierd anomaly when SS goes through their scanner machines. ???
    I wonder if the price of scrap at the time plays a roll?

-------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have no idea where but a very long time ago I found a class experiment on packing.
    The goal was to pack a egg, then your pack would get thrown off the top of a five story building.
    Egg not broken wins.
    Spray in foam did not work so well.
    Admittedly not much mass but perhaps something to think about when packing.

We try to keep a outgoing box under 50-75 lbs. 1000's of boxes sent UPS, one died and that was before we did any cushioning and had rules for taping them well.
    My standard "rookie" packing people instruction is very simple.
    "Will this package survive intact if we go up on the roof and toss it into the parking lot".
    If you think of it this way your package will make it to where it is going.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had Amazon ship me an incandescent appliance bulb loose in a bubble lined envelope. The replacement arrived in a box...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    The goal was to pack a egg, then your pack would get thrown off the top of a five story building.
    Egg not broken wins.
    Spray in foam did not work so well.
    Admittedly not much mass but perhaps something to think about when packing.
    A single mother used to live in an apartment next to the shop. One day I found her and her daughter dropping boxes from their window. The girl's grade school was having a competition where firemen would climb on a ladder truck and drop 4" square boxes containing an egg. The surviving ones would be dropped from one rung higher until there was only one left. I happened to have some 4" boxes and soft foam plastic padding. We packed an egg up and the girl decorated the box with a floral pattern and anointed it the "Eggdini". She won. The downside was that my consort was furious, the green eyed monster and all that.

Bill

18. Likes Ox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by otrlt View Post
    I had a good feeling that this was a problem Dalmatiangirl61,

By the way, my business neighbor (online retailer) showed me the proper way to package, I eagerly took his advise.

What he also told me, was a package(box) did not necessarily have to be "new", but it must be clean (no dirty finger prints).

This all sounds a bit "uptight", but your customers will definitely notice.

I agree 100% the customer will notice even if he or she be a good shipper not.

I extend this to how a part looks looks and feels like also. The customer notices and the quality of the part sent to him and how it ships is noticed. On the parts even if the end receiver is a novice they do see and notice good quality. You may not even have access to the guy who gets it it is another opportunity to make a good impression and sell your skill set.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wouldn’t bother trying to package that thing at all. Just slap a label on it and drop it off at the local USPS office. It is, after all, a wrecking ball and not likely to be damaged. The driver might not be too excited about it when he has to slam on the brakes and it crashes through his dash!
    I’ve had a few rounds with USPS trying to ship small brass parts. The boxes would show up beat to death, missing parts and full of damaged product. Brass threads don’t tolerate much abuse. After about 3 disaster shipments in a row I was finally able to convince the customer to let us ship ups. We also started pre-packaging parts with heat shrink (more of a time saver when it comes to filling a box). We then wrap the shipment in a burlap sack, double box it and tape the heck out of it. Sounds excessive, but a loaded 8x8 box can easily be over $1000 worth of parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As far as packaging I pretty much make sure it would survive being dropped from the shop roof peak which is about 14 feet and then hit with a baseball bat a few times. I use the box inside a box a lot of times. As for UPS I once received an old school counting scale, probably weighed around 100# it was in a custom crate with padding around it and them put in a double walled cardboard box. If had obviously been dropped and had an obvious forklift tire mark on it. I sent detailed pictures to the person I bought it from and UPS denied the claim saying it was improperly packaged. THEY SUCK! Any time I have had a UPS claim it was either denied or I got paid $100 on something insured for $500 with proof of value. I am sure they treat their. bigger accounts better or they would not have any.

I remember a few years back a UPS plane crashed, I bet they denied those damaged package claims also.

Another Brown sucks in my area moment. I just received a notice that they have suspended service in my area until further notice. They won't even leave packages at the Post Office as they usually do in bad weather.
    We did get 10" of snow but the roads, even the untreated, unplowed are in decent shape. I have no problem driving around even on the gravel roads and I have a one wheel drive Tahoe with tires down to the wear bars.
    Pretty sure Fedex is still delivering in my area. Problem is most vendors I buy from ship UPS only.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I was taught to ship, I was always told that this is the first thing the customer sees, it needs to look nice and be consistent. That's why I even tape every box exactly the same for the last 10 years.

23. Likes otrlt liked this post