What's new
What's new

Industry V 4.0

vlgajjar

Plastic
What is industry Version 4.0?

How it improves productivity?

At what extant it improves productivity?

Is it viable to switch your existing manufacturing infrastructure to Industry V 4.0?

Does Industry V 4.0 improves product quality or just improves productivity?

How safe it is to be implemented? i mean ultimately it makes all your machines connected with internet so what about cyber security?

I'm interested to hear what others say as well, but my take is on it that it is like modern medicine:

"Just because we can - doesn't mean that we should."

I'm wondering if it is a push from Automotive to be able to keep tabs on their suppliers?
Otherwise I just don't see the point?

Modern CNC's have had the ability to phone out if they go into fault for some time now, to let someone know that we are at a stand still now, so I don't see that this new - whatever it is - is going to help "productivity".
Just create more jobs in micro-management....

But that is from the little that I understand of it ...

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Industry 4.0 is connecting all your machines to the internet for the purpose of monitoring machine usage.

It improves productivity by giving bosses data so that employees keep their machines running. However, employees can fake things by running fake programs, running rapids at 1%, etc.

It may or may not improve product quality. Managed poorly, it will decrease product quality if employees are forced to rush things to meet quota.

Security is a huge issue in the USA due to defense and aerospace work. This is a major barrier with no solution in sight.

Industry 4.0 has a long way to go. Nice concept, but not a "must have".

"Just because we can - doesn't mean that we should."

100% agree. "Available technology" is creating huge "Hey, look what you can do with this!" product & service opportunities. I also call it "A solution looking for a problem" (just like Six Sigma).

It improves productivity by giving bosses data so that employees keep their machines running. However, employees can fake things by running fake programs, running rapids at 1%, etc.

Not sure if you meant the sarcasm but, often as I see it, giving bosses a bunch of data to sort through (starting with too many cc's on emails but also reports, notifications, etc.) does keep them away from employees so that they can do their work better ;). On the second half, I have a principle that I believe in: if employees can "fake" data to make themselves look better, they will!

Overall, I see 4.0 as a way to market things to companies that they may not need. It's kind of a "if you don't do this, you'll fall behind!" strategy. The irony for a lot of it is that, if you do dive into it, you may find yourself swamped with additional systems to maintain. I am a believer in technology, but it has to be "problem looking for a solution", not the other way around! Also, too often, technology is "thrown" at a problem instead of fixing the root cause. The biggest example: WIP tracking. Keep WIP low and fast and you don't need to track it!

The Dude

how much does it cost ? initial cost AND maintained cost
how long will any savings from it pay for it ?
its like buying a $1000. tool and its damaged and needs replacement often and if its $3000./year for tool and maintaining it will you save enough to pay for it. wouldnt be first time something cost more than it actually saves. like spending $3000/yr on a tool that saves 3 hours per year so spending $1000. to save 1 hour of time.

Back