Shop Foreman's attitude toward other employees - What's crossing the line? - Page 6
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah what was mentioned before is one way of trying to balance things out and have the employee think over his part also. Managers however are not usually called on bad behavior until it becomes more toxic. These kinds of managers and even ones who do not curse can cause a lot of resentment and humiliation. Humiliating employees is a tactic for many and it is said it helps to week out the herd regular too.

From what I have seen and experienced it is better at some point to just decide if the environment is good or bad and then either stay or go but if you stay remember the choice made. Remember sometimes the decision can be wrong and so my advice is if one decides to stay they understand this and re evaluate early and often whether they should still stay and be honest about it. You will never change the boss and if you try then expect to be treated poorly like you instigated things even if you did not.

The nature of business is to support the manager that is the model. This is critical as it often is a thankless job to do and that is why management will employ defacto managers telling them to take on managerial duties while not giving the title, pay, or support. This is more and more common. If you sit down in the barber chair all the time you will get a haircut eventually probably a free one. So with bad managers if they shadow your contentment and peace of mind then leave. Once many people do this only then will management who hides from the situation be addressed. Managing well means involvement.

2. Likes Laurentian, Mechanola liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Laurentian View Post
    Yikes man you posted this before so I'm guessing it really happened, holy s**t ! ...

Guessing you never worked or spent much time in a Michigan auto plant in the 60's and 70s.
    It is a way different world now and I am not saying we should go back.

If an employee walks into the foreman's office, stands a bullet on the desk and walks out without saying a word is this going too far?
    Would you as the foreman seek help to remove this person or understand that the guy is frustrated or just pissed off and work it out?
    If the boss is upset with a toolholder you scrapped and in rage tosses past your head and smashes a window ... too far? Do you quit?

Sometimes I think people get their feelings hurt too easily in this new age.
    There will always be bad bosses, there will always be a time the hand you get dealt is unfair or not right.
    What you can control is how you feel and process it.
    Life is not a bowl of chocolates and personal interaction is complicated. Anyone married for a long while will attest to this.
    Bob

4. Likes Laurentian, digger doug, barbter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So far, he's done a fantastic job at getting things more streamlined, tightening up our lead time, improving efficiency, and maintaining the shop.
    So I guess your business plan is make the people in the shop that are bringing it down feel good about themselves. Welcome to the pussification of our trade.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    Many, many years ago I experienced a foreman that treated all in his department like sh't to put it diplomatically. I never could understand why until one day I saw him with his wife shopping. She "talked" to him as he talked to his people. All I heard him say was "Yes dear" and "No dear".

If nothing else it helped me understand why he was as he was. Nobody is born an ass. There's always a reason.

Not related to this thread, but whole heartedly disagree!! My neighbors kid is a literal manifestation of the devil! LOL. He gets a hair up his ass (or whatever is going on) and screams cusses and yells at his parents and runs into the street. I have told my wife on numerous occasions, he gets into our yard, I'm calling the police. He was right on the corner literally swinging on a stop sign screaming at his parents!

I'm sure he has some mental things going on that his parents aren't addressing, but that is another story...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post

I'm sure he has some mental things going on that his parents aren't addressing, but that is another story...
    Tragic for the parents and the kid when something's "not right in the head".

What Are Some of the Causes of Aggression in Children?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Something else to consider is do you ever have customers out on the floor that can witness this behavior? I spend a lot of time in the shops that build the machines we design and if I saw this I'd be looking for a different shop. I understand the need to keep employees from screwing off or doing dumbass, destructive stuff, but I won't partner with a company that is abusive towards its employees.

9. Likes digger doug, Laurentian liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Not related to this thread, but whole heartedly disagree!! My neighbors kid is a literal manifestation of the devil! LOL. He gets a hair up his ass (or whatever is going on) and screams cusses and yells at his parents and runs into the street. I have told my wife on numerous occasions, he gets into our yard, I'm calling the police. He was right on the corner literally swinging on a stop sign screaming at his parents!

Hide in your bushes with a paint ball gun.....filled with neon pink ones.

I hear those things sting.

11. Likes Laurentian liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We've probably all seen a kid like that but re "Nobody is born an ass." then maybe his parents should have addressed it at an early stage as it probably is a "mental thing". Either that or lousy parenting.

ADHD for example is more than just being an ass.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We've probably all seen a kid like that but re "Nobody is born an ass." then maybe his parents should have addressed it at an early stage as it probably is a "mental thing". Either that or lousy parenting.

ADHD for example is more than just being an ass.
    So you think if Charlie Manson and Adolph Hitler were raised differently they would have lived the life of Mother Teresa? You can't be serious.

14. Likes camscan, digger doug, barbter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    So you think if Charlie Manson and Adolph Hitler were raised differently they would have lived the life of Mother Teresa? You can't be serious.
    If they'd been raised to be human sacrifices, I can guarantee it would have changed history. Just re-birth them in Aztec times...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    If they'd been raised to be human sacrifices, I can guarantee it would have changed history. Just re-birth them in Aztec times...
    I don't consider the likes of those two or the like to even be human.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Weird examples for comparison.

That's the kind of thing we'll never know. As for Mother Teresa I suggest you do some realistic research on her "good deeds" and the "price" she demanded for her help. Do the same with Hitler and you might get surprised.

Mental illness aside there's always a reason.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't consider the likes of those two or the like to even be human.
    Ah, that's a tragic mistake. It's entirely that they ARE human, and point to what evil we are capable of, that makes it so important to be aware of aberrant human behavior. Such as obsessive narcissism, dictatorial governing, and incessant lying. You never know what damage such a person could do...

19. Likes Laurentian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Weird examples for comparison.

That's the kind of thing we'll never know. As for Mother Teresa I suggest you do some realistic research on her "good deeds" and the "price" she demanded for her help. Do the same with Hitler and you might get surprised.

Mental illness aside there's always a reason.
    Nothing weird about it, you are one of those people that does not believe a person is responsible for their own actions.

21. Likes digger doug, Newman109, camscan liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The foreman needs training. Pay for night classes or paid time off to attend professional training courses. The days of yelling and creaming at people are over and counter productive. He has fallen in to the Peter Principle. If he is legitimately correcting bad practices the foreman needs authority to document and "write up" an employee if one of the guys is doing foolish things, like dropping a grinder on the floor. Managing people is a completely different beast than running machine tools. The new foreman never learned how. It's up to YOU to train him to be professional.

23. Likes Gordon B. Clarke, SBAER, Laurentian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Plane Parts View Post
    ... The new foreman never learned how. It's up to YOU to train him to be professional.
    The thing that goes wrong here is most times the idea is to give the good producing guy a raise and a step up the ladder to where I am.
    Now you want to tell me that I'll have to invest serious money in seminars, classes and more training?
    Some or much of that to just get all touchy feelly so people don't get butt hurt?
    So many unknown details.
    Given that so little known I'd trim the foreman hard on his how and and why and then can or put on the close to exit list the employee.

It is a intricate and so complicated game but one you signed up for as the boss over a staff.
    That staff or team is real world free will people.

I would come down on the foreman hard.
    I would also remove the problem child. Flat out no questions.
    Bob

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    The thing that goes wrong here is most times the idea is to give the good producing guy a raise and a step up the ladder to where I am.
    Now you want to tell me that I'll have to invest serious money in seminars, classes and more training?
    Bob
    Yes. Machining and managing are two very different jobs. Being good at one doesn't mean you are good at the other.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nothing weird about it, you are one of those people that does not believe a person is responsible for their own actions.
    And you are certainly not a good judge of people.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And you are certainly not a good judge of people.
    How do you know, you don't even know me. We also don't even know the people we are commenting on. Everyone has different standards. We have no idea what really happened, because we were not there. There are two sides to every story.

28. Likes camscan, Spinit, Laurentian liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    Tragic for the parents and the kid when something's "not right in the head".

What Are Some of the Causes of Aggression in Children?
    Meh...Nothing new....:
    YouTube