What's new
What's new

Shop learning resources

BobaFettUp

Plastic
We recently had a few new hires come in to do some basic tasks while waiting for their clearances, turns out they are not going to be needed in the area in which they were hired for anytime soon. So I'm stuck using them as operators who have never been in a shop or used any sort of measuring equipment. Does anyone have any training resources using and understanding metrology equipment? They have trouble with decimals, thinking .005 is fifty thou, so outside of a 5th grade math book I haven't found too much.

I've written out a bunch of the following types of questions:

Subtract .005 from One hundred twenty seven thousands.
Write out four hundred ninety three thousands.

Unfortunately we can't get rid of them so I need to make the most out of the situation.

Thank you.

I would grab one of those Starrett inserts that come with a new Starrett mic and have them read this "How to read a micrometer".

I tried to get a google image and found a you tube video from Starrett, just have them watch this.

How to read an inch micrometer You Tube

If they struggle with decimal places after that you could always give them a broom and a mop.

That’s a lousy situation to be stuck with and I’m sure you don’t want to dwell on it.

How about teaching them to read a 0-1 mic? You then turn one person loose in the tool room measuring drills in the drill index to make sure they are in the right spot. Another person could put away loose gage pins in QC. That activity would handle the .xxx” issue.

You could also train them to go through your used carbide inserts. I’ve found plenty of unused edges doing that.

If you keep paper files of prints you can have them organize those or go through completed travelers looking for incomplete sign-offs.

You can have them walk the floor and do a calibration sticker audit for the measuring tools.

If you do offline deburring they can be trained there.

Then there is good, old-fashioned, start-at-the-top-and-work-your-way-down cleaning.

(1) Subtract .005 from One hundred twenty seven thousands.
(2) Write out four hundred ninety three thousands.

Okaaay...

(1) 127,000 minus .005 equals 126,999.995
(2) 493,000

Shirley you mean thousandths?

Thanks, I'll see if we've got some laying around. They know the way around a mop, management drew the line when I had them waxing the machines

Pathetic state of affairs with the school taxes being the highest in history, and students can't even read a mic.

Basic shop class was mandatory (along with home ec) and part of shop class was "shop math".

HS now teaches organizing marches, and how to install a condom
on a banana.

Oh for Petey's sakes.....

Doo new gen altered banana's have troubles with the "fruit" blowing through the top of the peel - like corn does? (and the assossiated fruit bugs...)

Just b/c you can produce such a seed/product - doesn't always mean that it's a good idea.
Such a sad state we are in today ....
tsk.gif

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Oh for Petey's sakes.....

Doo new gen altered banana's have troubles with the "fruit" blowing through the top of the peel - like corn does? (and the assossiated fruit bugs...)

Just b/c you can produce such a seed/product - doesn't always mean that it's a good idea.
Such a sad state we are in today ....
tsk.gif

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Uh oh...too many metaphors there, OX. I get the humor but it's too clever for this thread. You sound like Thermite.:stirthepot:

Pathetic state of affairs with the school taxes being the highest in history, and students can't even read a mic.

Basic shop class was mandatory (along with home ec) and part of shop class was "shop math".

HS now teaches organizing marches, and how to install a condom
on a banana.

I went to High School over 40 years ago and we had every shop except machine shop. Don't know why as metal shop and wood shop weren't any less dangerous than a machine shop. Metal shop was basically welding, sheetmetal and blacksmithing. We even had a printing shop and an electronics shop.

As for the OP, you can always take the easy way out and buy them digital mics and calipers. I had a bunch of literature I made while training people, unfortunately it long ago hit the round file.

I had a bunch of literature I made while training people, unfortunately it long ago hit the round file.

Yeah, the downside of literature is the assumption that the trainees are literate...

I wrote that stuff up in the late 80's early 90's. It hit the round file around 2010 when I was lightening the load for a cross country move. I figured with the big ole internet, no one would ever need that stuff. I guess this thread proves me wrong. What amazed me is how nice it all looked. The stuff on how to read micrometers and vernier calipers was all hand drawn and printed. What shocked me is now I print so sloppy sometimes I can't even read what I wrote. My penmanship and drawing skills have definitely went in the toilet.

In the box with that stuff I also found a pristine complete set of Fanuc 3T manuals. I listed them free on PM for the first person to prove they owned a machine they used with that control and needed them. I was bombarded with requests, but most were lying sacks of crap who wanted to sell them. When I said first one who sends a picture standing next to their machine gets them, you would not believe how many people all of a sudden didn't have access to a camera. Finally a guy sends a picture holding up the day's newspaper and a copy of his driver's license. He got the manuals. Up till a couple years ago I was still getting messages asking if I had the manuals. Much later I checked E-bay sales and figured those things were worth damn near $500.

Back