What's new
What's new

Who makes all that vaccine handling equipment?

FredC

Diamond
Every news cycle there are videos of bottles being filled or bottles being racked and packed. Any PM members making that stuff? Is any of the equipment being made here? I am guessing Motion Guru would know who and and where the stuff comes from.

Every news cycle there are videos of bottles being filled or bottles being racked and packed. Any PM members making that stuff? Is any of the equipment being made here? I am guessing Motion Guru would know who and and where the stuff comes from.

Good question. I have seen it as well.
What goes through my head is....is it even vaccine / medical related footage? Wouldnt be a bit surprised if it is file footage from something completely unrelated....ppl in white coats with mask and hair nets...little bottles of liquid...could be Chanel #3 or whatever lol.

Of course i have been skeptical of everything on tv since the slot car race track i got for Christmas around 1974 was no where near as cool/fun as it looked on the commercial. :skep:
Still a bit pissed about it too.

I saw a tv news cast that they are worried about having enough dry ice. California labs were buying it from a plant in Massachusetts. 15,000 pounds was used to ship one load of vaccine from Europe to USA. Probably needed to be topped up on arrival. FAA rules only allow 5,000 pounds normally. They had to get a special emergency permit. Probably had to be last in, first out to cargo hold so bagage handlers can breathe.
Bill D

Machinery that operates at -80C for the Pfizer line would be tough! Other vaccines will not be as cold. I do not think I have seen any of that footage with ice on it. :-) A lot of the recycled video is probably regular flu vaccines.

When I worked one summer in Alaska I was told all the car plastic trim would shatter like glass if hit by a stone if the temperature was -40 or lower. Things like front grills, bumper covers, mud flaps etc.
Bill D

PS: -40F = -40C

I have a friend who owns a company that used to specialize in making machines that make disposable diapers. Did great for a while until his machines started getting copied overseas and then sold into the US market at half his cost. Then he started building specialty machines like us and we collaborated on a few aerospace projects. Big carbon fiber layup machines. Fun projects with 100+ axes of motion on machines that make parts for the Dreamliner in South Carolina.

Despite being fun, these projects rarely made money as you always underestimated the engineering and typically lost money on the first machine or two and hoped to be profitable on machine 3 or 4 . . . which sometimes never materialized.

A few years ago he calls me up and says he is going to focus on ultra sterile medical drug processing, compounding, and packaging equipment. Working more as an integrator of sterile robots, pumps, controllers, etc. Less inventing and more narrow focus on higher value products.

All I could think of was how many people would he have to hire to take care of all the red tape put up by the FDA, and how many different quality programs and hoops would he need to jump through to get the first product to market. No. Thank. You.

Well . . . today, I am the one wondering if we will survive COVID-19 + the 737 Max debacle that have collectively cratered our business 40% in the last 18 mos. And my buddy’s business is seeing double digit growth for the last several years and he is doing fantastic.

Aseptic Filling Equipment & Packaging Machines | AST

Also, we have done some work more on the bleeding edge of vaccine development with a company called Dice Molecules. We designed and built a number of “Routers” which are not like anything we have done before. These were 384 chamber pumps (not a typo) that pumped a protein-enzyme-saline mixture through each of the 384 chambers (serially, I.e. one after the other) . . . each of which had a porous feature which was seeded with a specific strain of DNA that defined a particular biological molecular structure. Each chamber would be held at a specific temperature and grow billions of molecules per the DNA instructions. After a routing cycle was complete, then each strain of molecule would be tested for efficacy in whatever goal they had (preventing a virus from docking with a cell was typically what they were attempting to do).

Fun facts with that project (all 384 chambers machined into a plate that was 75mm by 150mm) including plumbing ports. And these plates were plated with gold after machining. Total fluid volume pumped through the system was less than 50ml and cost roughly $2k/ml by the time that fluid made it to our machine. We designed a lot of leak detection systems to ensure that our chambers did not leak.

Like other projects like this, we lost money on the first few and in the end probably made less than 15% margin on the fleet of routers that we made for them.

I am glad we are in business to have fun and that we have managed to be profitable enough to stay in business for 25 years now.

Well Motion Guru, if anyone knew I thought you would. Gotta say WOWZERS!! at the things you have been doing. I thought some of that vaccine development was being done here in the states when I started the thread, but I think I heard the Pfizer vaccine will be flown in from Europe. Maybe none of them are made here.

I think it is a tough call. Many drug and drug equipment outfits are saying something about covid just hoping to get on that bandwagon and perhaps have an uptick in their stock price. I own at least three companies (stocks) that are in this truth or shenanigans.

Italy. Machinery is Italy's #1 export and they make a lot of the industrial automation systems to do packaging and routine product handling, including pharmaceutical manufacturing. There is a region called Perugia where a lot of the companies are located. A lot of more advanced chemical processing systems are also made in Germany and Switzerland.

In vaccine production automation one of the biggest companies is an international called "ATS" (originally Automation Tooling Systems) that was started in 1978 in Cambridge, Ontario, by a German immigrant named Klaus Woerner. Woerner was an engineer who started at Ford and then went out on his own making industrial automation systems.

Back