Shop Maintenance

• Thread starter otrlt
  • Start date
  • Replies 53
  • Views 7,433
O

otrlt

Shop Maintenance,

This task can be quite a chore, but it is perhaps the most important job in a modern shop. I will begin with the hardest working tool in your shop; The Air Compressor. As was mentioned on a previous thread, a compressor failure is the worst thing that can happen to a shop. All CNC's need air, so change your compressor's oil and air filter every 6 months.

While on the subject of compressed air, how clean is your incoming air to your cncs? If you want your mills and lathes to last 20-30 years, give them clean,dry air.

I'm very interested in hearing your plans on this very important subject, and don't exclude any other maintenance procedures, including hydraulics and temperature control.

Heres my solution, Gandner Denver dual head 10HP compressor. Normally wired to alternate between the two heads. I rewired it so whatever side you plug in runs. 100% uptime. Or if you need 20 hp of air, plug both in.

Attachments

• air.jpg
    air.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 276
Compressors are cheap enough in the scheme of things, just buy another before you need it. Under 10k on ebay can get you a decent used screw unit. Spend 60k-200k a pop on CNC machines but only have one compressor at the ready? Cheap insurance. We have 3 in a line and run them all fairly regularly.

We use 4 Quincy piston pumps that take turns or we can pick the ones we want to run while we work on one.

I'm f**ked. Two for filling tires slowly, 12 VDC and 120 V corded.. or for not detonating tiny hand truck tires.

One for bigger tires or spraying solvents or grit, even paint.

But NO CNC goods.

"Dear Abbey".. does the wizard of ots**t mean I am meant to bury the surplus compressors in the back garden? Or will shoving them up my arse, dry, do well-enough?

IOW.... WTF is he smoking, NOW?

Folk who NEED this s**t generally understand their needs and HAVE BEEN JF "dealing with all that" for more than just a day or three.

Without some arrogant twit presuming the rest of the whole dam' world is too klewless to pour air out of the atmosphere, let alone piss out of a boot.

Foidemore?

We ain't exactly FAMOUS for pissing in our damned boots to begin with.

Nor going hungry for critical-path resources, air but one of several.

I'm f**ked. Two for filling tires slowly, 12 VDC and 120 V corded.. or for not detonating tiny hand truck tires.

One for bigger tires or spraying solvents or grit, even paint.

But NO CNC goods.

"Dear Abbey".. does the wizard of ots**t mean I am meant to bury the surplus compressors in the back garden? Or will shoving them up my arse, dry, do well-enough?

IOW.... WTF is he smoking, NOW?

Folk who NEED this s**t generally understand their needs and HAVE BEEN JF "dealing with all that" for more than just a day or three.

Without some arrogant twit presuming the rest of the whole dam' world is too klewless to pour air out of the atmosphere, let alone piss out of a boot.

Foidemore?

We ain't exactly FAMOUS for pissing in our damned boots to begin with.

Nor going hungry for critical-path resources, air but one of several.

Does anyone understand what this drunken fool has written?

Why has this deraigned fool be allowed to continue on this site?

PM has a severe problem, and they do not have a clue how to fix it.

PM has a severe problem, and they do not have a clue how to fix it.​

I understood it just fine. This is the "Shop Management and Owner Forum". and anyone who doesn't understand the value of compressed air in a "CNC" shop should not be in a position to manage a shop much less own one.

This topic would have been more suited for the General thread.

Not sure what your problem is with Therm and really don't care. This site is not the place to bring your personal problems to. You are right, PM has a serious problem and Don needs to get a handle on it soon. Ten years ago this would have been nipped on day one.

This sight is monetary driven and this is absolutely disrespectful to Don and quite frankly the rest of us here that prefer to work with one another. With each attack you post it is just an attack on your personal character. What exactly are you trying to gain?

Yep, I got the jist of it. Maybe you ought give it another read. Maybe, get down of your high horse so you can see what your actually reading? IDK?

Yep, I got the jist of it. Maybe you ought give it another read. Maybe, get down of your high horse so you can see what your actually reading? IDK?

Well. he can't spell "forum", can't spell "deranged", can't tell Jiberish clothing stores from "gibberish" nonsense, WTF? Poor illiterate impoverished Fascist couldn't even spell "bullshit" off the back of only having pocket change enough to raise one "ell"!

What makes you think he can read if-even he could be convinced it worth the adult education remedial reading course as preparation?

"The World Wonders"

Dad had an air dryer for the compressor, as well as a water trap just underneath. Literally GALLONS of water would pour from the dryer.

Ancient Persia built "high-topped shoe" shaped "wind towers" wherein the flow of night air at minute variations in pressure from what would thousands of years LATER become known as the "Bernoulli effect" chilled the air and coated the stone walls with rime ice.

Which was then scraped-off the stone for making "sorbet". SF writer Frank Herbert picked-up on dry environment tricks of that sort when he wrote "Dune".

Problem was, the air that carried the moisture was also laden with biologicals.

Tuberculosis among them.

Progress always exacts its price SOMEWHERE along life's journey!

PM has a severe problem, and they do not have a clue how to fix it.

Ha, you want to get rid of Thermite first? That's a laugh. There are abut 40 to 50 that should go before him....not namin' names, mind ye, but just considerin' the thousands of posts that I've read here in the past 14 years, he's one of the less guilty. He'd be a "misdemeanorist" and the others felons. I'm just sayin'

Damn, I'm starting to sound like Thermite now......sheesh

:rolleyes5:

The ignore feature works great, the only time it doesn't work is when the person you want to ignore is a mod or the ignoree gets quoted. Fortunately the mod I wanted to ignore is now gone. As for air compressor I could not fathom someone not having a back up. I had two air compressors before I even had a shop, mostly used for working on cars.

Here's a theory: the posters that draw the most ire like AS9100 and otrlt are actually PM management hired plants who are instructed to annoy everyone into replying. And then the replies/veiws= sponsor money.

Why else would otrlt come on here?

Here's a theory: the posters that draw the most ire like AS9100 and otrlt are actually PM management hired plants who are instructed to annoy everyone into replying. And then the replies/veiws= sponsor money.

Why else would otrlt come on here?

I think the only one that fit that bill was GBC, especially when they made him a mod and he kept trolling. AS9100 is a mentally ill con man, and for otrlt just a case of a machinist with a big ego who gets their jollies out of bragging about how much better they are than everyone else to a point where it because a big part of who they are. No idea why someone would do that to a bunch of strangers they most likely will never meet. Self promoting doesn't earn you squat here. Actions speak louder than words. Actions like Vancbiker who has probably by now saved fellow members 100's of thousands of dollars in service calls.

Screw compressor with good air dryer. That oil's good for years.

#1 thing to keep good track of is batteries. I got a list behind each machine of battery types/part# and when last changed and I usually check voltage in and out.

Ha, you want to get rid of Thermite first? That's a laugh. There are abut 40 to 50 that should go before him....not namin' names, mind ye, but just considerin' the thousands of posts that I've read here in the past 14 years, he's one of the less guilty. He'd be a "misdemeanorist" and the others felons. I'm just sayin'

Damn, I'm starting to sound like Thermite now......sheesh

:rolleyes5:

No surprise.

I was taking a measure of inspiration from YOU..

In trying to strike a better balance between shop floor and lifetime "A+" English student who enjoyed "playing" with the language!

I MAY even turn the spell checker back on and invent fewer words?

Nah. Has to be SOME fun left in it!

:D

I never thought much of a person that could only come up with one way to spell a word, that would be total lack of creativity causing ones brain to get stuck seeing only part of what is placed before them.

Can anyone tell me why threads seem to degenerate so quickly anymore? I can't remember it ever being so bad when I was lurking or first joined.

Sheesh, this one isn't even on the second page yet! :crazy:

Most of us are adults here...(I hope). Could we all begin to act our age??

Ironic I posted this while in another thread, a shop owner was dead in the water with no backup air compressor...

Back