Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ChipSplitter View Post
    Can anyone tell me why threads seem to degenerate so quickly anymore? I can't remember it ever being so bad when I was lurking or first joined.

Sheesh, this one isn't even on the second page yet!

Most of us are adults here...(I hope). Could we all begin to act our age??
    It's just certain posters and the way they come across that gets people riled up. I'm pretty sure you could ask a serious question and get good feedback still. I threw out the joke about fake members because it was clear this was going to be a trainwreck from the get go, wouldn't do that to a "real" thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by otrlt View Post
    Shop Maintenance,

. All CNC's need air, so change your compressor's oil and air filter every 6 months.
    Not so. 4 of my machines do not need air to operate. Only one absolutely has to have air, and that's to shift gears.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We have a 40hp screw compressor with integrated air dryer feeding into a 400 gallon dry tank. This gives class 1-4-2 air providing the shop. The tank has an inlet connection to be supplied air from a 5hp backup compressor with dryer to limp the shop along if needed.

We also have a regenerative dessicant dryer and filter system that provides better than class 1-1-1 for our laser and powder coating booth. The dessicant dryer is capable of handling all moisture from the compressor should the refrigerated dryer fail. In the event of a dryer failure, it's just inconvenient to briefly supply noncritical equipment with wet air.

The dessicant needs to be changed every 3 years, the oil every 2 years (IIRC) and filters every 4000 hours. Inspections are more frequent.

The dryer also has alarms on it, so if it stops getting cold we know before water gets anywhere.

The whole system was only about $18k.